Ulster 05 Oct 2017 10am Ulster Bank Finance Committee Hearing - Live Thread

Lack of a final redress deadline other than well into 2018 means it was a waste of time. Can the minister of finance be challenged in the Dail by a TD to seek a comprehensive answer? If it is so complex one wonders is the bank fit for purpose?

Last edited:
And Ulster Banks new advertising campaign strapline "making mortgages easier" !

Speechless.

The date I have for the Central Bank is the 19th so I'm not sure what is on next week. The schedule should be released tomorrow and we can check then. To be clear, my understanding as the committee adjourned, was not that Ulster Bank were being recalled. They were however being asked to supply a lot of additional information.

The date I have for the Central Bank is the 19th so I'm not sure what is on next week. The schedule should be released tomorrow and we can check then. To be clear, my understanding as the committee adjourned, was not that Ulster Bank were being recalled. They were however being asked to supply a lot of additional information.

That's correct - they are not being recalled but will be sent a transcript and have been asked to provide a comprehensive response to issues raised.

As much as I applaud the Chair and the Committee members for their grilling of ULB, I can't help but think these Ulsterbank guys are having a good old laugh over lunch right now. Without any sanction or penalty, this is just a bit of craic for them.

Mallon said there is no incentive for them to drag this out. Equally tho, there is no incentive for them to hurry the process up.

Despite having a contract which states that “for the lifetime of the loan” etc. etc
I still have heard nothing from ulster bank. Not a single letter or call. I have a list of complaints with their complaints department, none of which have been answered after months. They will not tell me if I am impacted or not. I am absolutely disgusted by their performance today, it’s an absolute disregard for the customer and the Dail.

One incentive To drag it out is the likelihood of ECB rate increasing. “Oh look this tracker is costing you a bloody fortune, would you like a new, well thought out contract?

One incentive To drag it out is the likelihood of ECB rate increasing. “Oh look this tracker is costing you a bloody fortune, would you like a new, well thought out contract?

The ECB would have to increase by 3% to make a difference to most trackers, no?

The ECB would have to increase by 3% to make a difference to most trackers, no? 0.85% do you think I would still be here if it wasn't costing UB?

Like the nice mortgage adviser ( who we were told subsequently wasn't offering us advice ) assured us just before we fixed in 2007, "the only way the rate can go is up", but obviously that is actually true at this point. I would imagine that as soon as as the rate starts to move, people will start worrying and think about fixing, especially if the banks start to drop the rates of fixed and variable offerings.
If you were lucky enough to get your original tracker rate of say ECB +0.95 then it only needs to go up to 2%.

Despite having a contract which states that “for the lifetime of the loan” etc. etc
I still have heard nothing from ulster bank. Not a single letter or call. I have a list of complaints with their complaints department, none of which have been answered after months. They will not tell me if I am impacted or not. I am absolutely disgusted by their performance today, it’s an absolute disregard for the customer and the Dail.

I'm in same situation.Im confused on how many potentially impacted customers are there like us. Also former First Active on top of this.

Is total number 3,500 plus another 500➕❓

I found it interesting that Andrew Blair was so concerned to refute Pierce Doherty's allegation that he may have mislead the committee but no one from ulster bank seemed to be that bothered with his accusation that they had actually STOLEN from their customers.

How dare Gerry Mallon turn up without the details on refunds etc?
He had the audacity to speak about growing his customer Base. They have treated 3500 existing customers absolutely appallingly and continue to do so. Let's mobilise, protest outside ulster bank offices. Rallies and media interviews. No more waiting ..

How dare Gerry Mallon turn up without the details on refunds etc?
He had the audacity to speak about growing his customer Base. They have treated 3500 existing customers absolutely appallingly and continue to do so. Let's mobilise, protest outside ulster bank offices. Rallies and media interviews. No more waiting ..

I'm in. However there seems to be a tiny minority of the 3,500 who contribute to this forum. How do we mobilise the full 3,500?

What are the other banks offering by way of compensation . What is reasonable and fair . I was put back on tracker and refunded in 2014 after 8 years .

Any advice would be appreciated as don't want to go legal route . Just want wrapped u

Notices in national newspapers asking for people to opt in to an Ulster Bank protest. Round up a few people willing to go on radio and do same.
Social media is free so if we put a few heads together and coordinated a response. I am livid together. I have been waiting every day for the last 2 years for my refund. I am sick of the audacity of Ulster bank.

After listening back to what Gerry Mallon did and did not say.... you can count my wife and I in!!!

How dare he use today as an opportunity to talk about growing his (ulsterbank’s) customer base!!!! Shame on you!!! He missed the point of today COMPLETELY!!!

Should we protest the central bank. All the banks were in the same boat and it was the central bank who failed to regulate properly or at all. The banks tried to pull a fast one. But it was the central bank who let them get away with. If not for the good work of Padkiss and others they would have. The banks job is to be profitable. The central banks job is to regulate. Who's more at fault??? And who should be penalising the banks for their failure to promptly and properly resolve this mess. It's the central bank we need to protest.

Back