Real women vs media/model/mag. ideal

I suppose its how you define overweight.

In my courting days I used to go for taller women (ideally ... before desparation set in !! ;)) who, I suppose, would tend to be a bit more slender but I definitely agree with you that this stick insect trend is downright awful. More rather than less.

On a radio show a guy rang in to say "fellas wants women with something to grab a hold of" and he wasnt wrong. T & A are attractive, not bony protruding angles. Salma Hayek, Penelope Cruz, Kate Beckinsale - my style of women.

I think these examples of "curvier" or bigger women are ridiculous. they're all a british size 8-10. Equally as somebody else pointed out the example of Marilyn Monroe as being a size 16 and that she was really a size 12 in todays sizing.

I think these examples of "curvier" or bigger women are ridiculous. they're all a british size 8-10. Equally as somebody else pointed out the example of Marilyn Monroe as being a size 16 and that she was really a size 12 in todays sizing.

Which I think proves the point - women in the media are below what a norm in the general population, which is why its so hard to find a size 14 example. Even a size 12 would be classed as big by todays media standards. But among the general population a 14 is totally normal.

How about Charlotte Church - is she not a size 14 fairly regularly?

Which I think proves the point - women in the media are below what a norm in the general population, which is why its so hard to find a size 14 example. Even a size 12 would be classed as big by todays media standards. But among the general population a 14 is totally normal.

How about Charlotte Church - is she not a size 14 fairly regularly?

Eactly Truthseeker, the "curvier" examples quoted are normally slim to very slim. I've often read about celebs who have "balloned" to a size 12!

Charlotte Church is probably an example of soembody in the public eye who is averageish.

Eactly Truthseeker, the "curvier" examples quoted are normally slim to very slim. I've often read about celebs who have "balloned" to a size 12!

Charlotte Church is probably an example of soembody in the public eye who is averageish.

Jade Goody? Kerry Katona? Notice how none of these names are A-list celebs?

Kate Winslet for example is IMO the most attractive woman on the planet.

Not sure what size she is now (has lost some weight in recent years - Hollywood pressure?) but I'm pretty sure she has regularly been a 14/16 or thereabouts.

Kate Winslet for example is IMO the most attractive woman on the planet.

Not sure what size she is now (has lost some weight in recent years - Hollywood pressure?) but I'm pretty sure she has regularly been a 14/16 or thereabouts.

Well done Caveat - also Beyonce has sizeable booty.

In fairness I'd say Jade & Kerry are not A listers as they have no talent,nothing to do with their weight!

Agreed - the point I was making was that I actually couldnt think of an A-lister who was not a skinny malinks.

You will find a lot of women who claim to be happy with their "curves" turn out to be not so happy. Kate Winslet could hardly be described as carrying any extra weight having conformed to hollywood standards and Fern Britton got a gastric band fitted on the sly, having claimed to be happy with her weight.

I also find it surprising that people are classing Kelly Brook on Penelope Cruz as "curvy". Both of those women I would consider very very slim.

Best example of a real curvy woman who is attractive is Nigella Lawson. You can tell she eats what she cooks and looks fabulous on it. In her last series I did think however, that she had put up a lot of weight and would want to be careful.

While we are at it what do we think about real men vs media/model/mag ideal? I find the average irish man has no interest in muscles but that's okay with me, I am not attracted to skinny guys like a bit of broadness to the shoulders. However, I notice that once irish men reach their forties they do really let themselves go and need to be careful re health issues....

I never liked skinny guys either, prefer the "chunky" type. I often find though that once guys stop playing sports that they start having trouble keeping off the pounds, where before they could eat anything. Has happened to a fair few friends of mine, once they hit their early - mid thirties. Some tackled it and some just really let themselves go.

I think there are 2 major danger points for men:

1) post university spread (ever see a fella you were in school with who you havent seen in over 10 years and they look generally "inflated")

2) getting married/giving up competitive team sport (one may lead to the other!!) - important to get into another aerobic sport (maybe cycling or squash, swimming if you're able) and not just the obligatory golf.

Avoided 1, and am conscious of 2. Time is probably the greatest problem in avoiding 2, busy stage of life.

A bit of weight training (even the auld York set of vinyl weights) is good, not so much because of building muscle, but because I understand it speeds up your metabolism meaning you burn energy/food quicker. I know thats is a bit vague but I aint no scientist. Theres also a bit of general tone that you get from weights that even aerobic sports probably wont give you. On a personal level I hate gyms/wouldnt be bothered going, so whatever bits & pieces I do, I do them at home.

While we are at it what do we think about real men vs media/model/mag ideal? I find the average irish man has no interest in muscles but that's okay with me, I am not attracted to skinny guys like a bit of broadness to the shoulders. However, I notice that once irish men reach their forties they do really let themselves go and need to be careful re health issues....

I dont think its practical for an average Irish bloke to be a muscle bound god - the magazine guys dont have to work full time jobs and help out with the kids etc....
I do agree that a lot of Irish guys really lose the plot in their 40s though (and even earlier sometimes), too much - I wouldnt expect a man to be in the gym day in and day out, but a brisk walk 3 times a week, maybe a cycle at the weekends etc...

Men or women should take care to be getting some kind of regular exercise just to be healthy anyway but I think Pierce Brosnan for example is a very handsome guy with a realistic look, he is not overly muscle bound, he is not in his early 20s, he has normal hair/beard sometimes.

I think the male 'ideal' is a lot more realistically attainable than the female 'ideal'.

There is a big difference between a few curves and fat. Some women are just fat (as are some men). If you eat the wrong food and get no exercise then you aren’t going to look good. Men and women are attracted to healthy body forms; it’s the result of 100’000 years of evolution. Carrying 20 pounds of flab on your ass is not attractive; having all your ribs showing is not attractive either.
Just as hearing women ***** about each other is annoying (and to be fair very few of the women I know do this) it is also annoying hearing some woman who is clearly very fat (and therefore unattractive) suggesting that if it wasn’t for women’s magazines and “society” they would be considered attractive.

BTW, I an 6’ and 14.5 stone so I’m no Adonis but I do get some exercise and try to eat well.
I, like most of the population, could do with losing a few pounds. Saying this should not be taken as an insult.
There are plenty of women who are attractive but would be more attractive if they lost some weight. That doesn’t mean they should but it’s true none the less.

Back