Real women vs media/model/mag. ideal

Anyway, it sounds like you are contradicting yourself a little - above you say size 14 at 5'3" is obese, yet size 12 at 5'5" is healthy?!

As a matter of interest, (Fobs & cahir) how tall would a woman have to be to look OK as a size 16 in your opinion?

Edit: oh - number one Dave...obviously.

A size 14 on me (5'3") would look obese. On some other women of my height it might just look overweight. It all depends on body shape. I think you'd have to be quite tall and broad to carry off a size 16.

Shop sizes are funny anyway. In Topshop I'm a 10, Oasis an 8, Gap a 6 (US size 2 - serious case of vanity sizing there).

I think you'd have to be quite tall and broad to carry off a size 16.

Im neither tall nor broad and I carried it off. In fact, I got far more male attention as a size 16 than at any other time. Im very petite, size 3 feet, tiny waist. All my weight goes on bust and hips/bum.
In a million years I would not have used the term obese to describe myself when I was a 16.

None of us are totally happy about how we look. We're too self conscious and worry too much of what others think of us. We deserve a good kick up the behind at times as our worries compared to people who have real problems are nothing. Happiness comes from within and thankfully personally its little things that really make me happy and bring a smile to my face. Don't get me wrong there are types of clothes I would love to wear but would make me really look a stick insect. I'm 5'5" just barely over 8 stone, skinny and I mean skinny legs, arms etc so I have to choose clothes pretty carefully at times to do a bit of camoflauge, no nice low neck tops for me.

Im neither tall nor broad and I carried it off. In fact, I got far more male attention as a size 16 than at any other time. Im very petite, size 3 feet, tiny waist. All my weight goes on bust and hips/bum.

Is that offer to run away together still available? :)

A size 14 on me (5'3") would look obese. On some other women of my height it might just look overweight. It all depends on body shape. I think you'd have to be quite tall and broad to carry off a size 16.

Shop sizes are funny anyway. In Topshop I'm a 10, Oasis an 8, Gap a 6 (US size 2 - serious case of vanity sizing there).

Christ a size 14 obese? What a depressing statement, especially coming from a woman!! I am that height and a size 16/18, I wish I was a size 14 but until I get over my irrational fear of exercise thats not gonna happen :D

I agree with Truthseeker, I get plenty of male attention when Im out - but big boobs and a small waist help ;)

I am 5ft 10. Slim but definitely not skinny. I am a 12 top. 12 skirt. 14 trousers and 16 in a dress :eek:
Go figure......

If you think Irish lads are bad then check this out

a bit of a laugh and a great quote to end it by a maligned local lady referring to the lads from The Isa by saying "the odds are good but the goods are odd".

Impressive Irish centre in that place but real ends of the earth, probably a good 20 hours driving to anywhere you've heard of/civilisation.

Being sexy is a state of mind, IMHO, most women have no idea of the power that they have, as what a little smile can do or a lingering look. I have found women very attractive just from their attitude.
Men are simple creatures and a bit of fat around the belly,legs wherever doesn't come in to it, as long as ye let us kiss and cuddle ye.;)

Being sexy is a state of mind, IMHO, most women have no idea of the power that they have, as what a little smile can do or a lingering look. I have found women very attractive just from their attitude.
Men are simple creatures and a bit of fat around the belly,legs wherever doesn't come in to it, as long as ye let us kiss and cuddle ye.;)

Hear Hear.

Yes, well said.

Keep the body descriptions coming though ;)

Seriously though, my only point was that I wish women wouldn't obsess about their weight so much. It genuinely makes me unhappy that body image for women can be so consuming. Life is too short. Incidentally, this applies as much to women who believe they are too skinny as well as those who believe they are too fat. I only made a point of the larger so-called 'real women' scenario as this seems to be a more common concern. As others have said, be happy with what you are and don't attempt to please anyone but yourselves.

By the way if anyone is interested, I'm 6'1", 34" waist, and around 15 stone :)

So untrue! :D

I have quite a large bust, a bit of a bum but there's no spare flab on me so I'm curvy without being fat. It's very possible.

I can see the beginnings of a social networking site here...

Back