Real women vs media/model/mag. ideal

Caveat

Glad to see that Truthseeker thought Cheryl Cole was too skinny on the X-factor thread.

Personally, I like real women, e.g. size 14 to 20, no enhancement surgery etc.A wonky tooth or something can sometimes add to the appeal.

Women are supposed to have 'a bit of a belly' - it's the way they are made and should be something to be proud of. Even if their 'bit of a belly' turns into 'a bit too much of a belly' so what?

I know I'm not alone in finding slightly overweight much more attractive than hipbone protruding, sunken faced skinny.

Caveat - perhaps we should run away together :)

Seriously though, I see these skinny celebrities and wonder how they are actually managing to get through a day. How are they not fainting on their feet?

I personally think a real woman should have a bit of squidge.

I admire the ladies on Gladiators, athlethic, muscular - that would be a better body type for a young woman to aspire to rather than the lollipop headed Cherl Cole body type. Some of the Gladiator ladies are slim alright but not unhealthy looking.

I suppose its how you define overweight.

In my courting days I used to go for taller women (ideally ... before desparation set in !! ;)) who, I suppose, would tend to be a bit more slender but I definitely agree with you that this stick insect trend is downright awful. More rather than less.

On a radio show a guy rang in to say "fellas wants women with something to grab a hold of" and he wasnt wrong. T & A are attractive, not bony protruding angles. Salma Hayek, Penelope Cruz, Kate Beckinsale - my style of women.

I heard a great saying years ago and lived by it.

If you can't lift it, don't shift it.:D

It's a little insulting to suggest that non-overweight women aren't real. I'm a healthy size 8-10 and I definitely do not look like a stick insect. Size 14 might be healthy for someone who's 6ft tall but at 5'3" I'd look obese.

Ye remind me of farmers discussing the weight of their cattle before sending them to the mart. I presume ye're God's gift to women!

Agree with you Cahir I'm on the light but healthy side also.

It's a little insulting to suggest that non-overweight women aren't real. I'm a healthy size 8-10 and I definitely do not look like a stick insect. Size 14 might be healthy for someone who's 6ft tall but at 5'3" I'd look obese.

Im 5'2'' also and a size 12 (or thereabouts) - I have in the past been a size 16 but never looked obese.

Remember reading an article last year. It was written by a man for a womans magazine. He explained that when he was younger and first started dating he thought the women he dated were beautiful - he didn't expect them to be perfect - thought the curve of a woman tummy beautiful and natural. He went on to say that the women he dated ruined it for him. It was almost like they were constantly pointing out their imperfections (as they saw them), making him aware of them, worried that he would notice or comment on them. They made him by this insecurity look at their bodies in a different way and notice the wobbly bits. He pointed out that in general men don't run themselves down in the same way - in fact more likely to see perfection? His article was a real eyeopener. I think the important thing is to feel comfortable in your body, notice the good things and stop worrying about and apologising for the bits that you consider not perfect but most important to be or act at least confident about your own body.

I presume ye're God's gift to women!

Nope. But are you telling me that women don't have thoughts about their preferences for the male form?

I'm not suggesting that non-overweight women aren't real - just that it's alright to be size 16, 18...whatever. Aside from the naturally smaller framed women though, you have to admit that there are plenty of women who think they are not normal if they have full hips/thighs/any suggestion of a belly etc.

But of course Ash 22 & Cahir have a point re proportion/health etc.

I presume ye're God's gift to women!

You seem to think we're being harsh whereas the contrary is the case.

Womens major problem comes from other women. Did you ever hear a fella make a *****y comment about the size of another fella's This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language?, in particular a mate of his? Defo not. Women editors of all these mags, and I laugh at the hipocracy of them, one week its decrying the death of some waif from anorexia, but next week its full steam ahead pointing out the minor belly on some "celeb", circling the cellulite on another and the wrinkles of a third. And its not done in a "they're human like the rest of us" kind of way its more "the shame of that". Which must leave your average reader squirming at the thought of themselves being assessed like that.

Women do tend to analyse/agonise a lot about how they look. But this programme has really taken such analysis to extremes... :eek:

WARNING!! Subject Matter May Offend (but thats Ch4 for you :rolleyes: )

[broken link removed]

Kelly Brooke. She is the perfect woman in my eyes (and dreams).

I have to agree that women are more conscious about their looks ok and do have preferences for the opposite sex but I guess it comes across a bit different when you actully see it in written form rather than actually just talking about it in conversation.

Women are never happy with their weight. I am 5.7 and have always been size 12. Recently have moved towards 14-16 and have to say its time to get back in shape, not for anybody else, but for me.

Women are never happy with their weight. I am 5.7 and have always been size 12. Recently have moved towards 14-16 and have to say I can really feel the difference. Its' time to get back in shape, not for anybody else, but for me. They say 10lbs is a dress size, so need to go down 2 dress sizes, thats 20lbs plus, in reality I need to lose anything from 18lbs to 2 stone. Nobody has commented on it, but I really know it myself.

I dont agree with having to be a stick insect, but you know yourself when you have pushed things too far!

Remember reading an article last year. It was written by a man for a womans magazine. He explained that when he was younger and first started dating he thought the women he dated were beautiful - he didn't expect them to be perfect - thought the curve of a woman tummy beautiful and natural. He went on to say that the women he dated ruined it for him. It was almost like they were constantly pointing out their imperfections (as they saw them), making him aware of them, worried that he would notice or comment on them. They made him by this insecurity look at their bodies in a different way and notice the wobbly bits. He pointed out that in general men don't run themselves down in the same way - in fact more likely to see perfection? His article was a real eyeopener. I think the important thing is to feel comfortable in your body, notice the good things and stop worrying about and apologising for the bits that you consider not perfect but most important to be or act at least confident about your own body.

This is so true. Mrs. V. is very conscious of her weight. I love her curves. Always have. Always tell her so. I'd reckon she's about average weight for her height, give or take a few pounds. But if you're constantly listening to herself pointing out how and why and where she needs to lose weight and being self-critical in front of the mirror, you'd nearly start believing it. It's the attitude that's unattractive, not the body.

Yes, well said. Women are their own worst enemies ........ after the mirror. Why oh why do they buy these rubbish mags? I must say that in my youth I thought that these shallow coat horses were deadly attractive. But sure that was only the hormones clouding my judgement. Give me a cuddly lady, who is relatively happy with her size anyday ......... if she exists.;)

I find a lot of women cannot take a compliment. Lets say somebody admired something they were wearing, they themselves will more than likely react with a negative reply like "oh! I dunno " or "that old thing" Its funny because unless we kind of like something we won't wear it. I possibly did that in the past too but now I say back "yes, I like this dress actually " or whatever.

Back