Real women vs media/model/mag. ideal

I find a lot of women cannot take a compliment. Lets say somebody admired something they were wearing, they themselves will more than likely react with a negative reply like "oh! I dunno " or "that old thing" Its funny because unless we kind of like something we won't wear it. I possibly did that in the past too but now I say back "yes, I like this dress actually " or whatever.

The favourite one among my friends is 'this dress??? oh i got it as a bargain, only 10 euro, down from 50 euro in whatever shop'.

Very true Ash22 - that is a very common attitude among women.

Contrast with men complimenting other men's clothes (which admittedly doesn't happen that often) and the response is usually a nonchalant "yeah - nice isn't it?"

It's true, I've noticed this with women a lot, but I'm glad to say in recent years Ms Caveat has adopted the approach of Ash22 as well. :)

Does she moan?:rolleyes:

yeah, about the traffic, the state of the flat, how I didnt have anything ready for her to eat and how she's still waiting for me to check the oil in her car beacuse the warnign light is blinking every so often ;)

I agree that us women are terrible at accepting compliments. However, as a generalisation the Irish are poor at accepting compliments and are only improving in recent years. Secondly, women will not always give a compliment and mean it.

With respect to our size, well I'd like to be lighter. But I measure this based on my BMI. I'm a size 14/16 - but I can comfortably cycle 20 miles or run about 3 miles without too much pain. My objective is to have my weight in a healthy range, stay fit, and enjoy life - which means not obsessing on the fact that something is sagging, slipping, falling, going gray or slightly wrinkly - that's just life!

By the way - I think men, our new metrosexual men that is, are taking on a lot of the female (not necessarily positive attributes) traits. However, these tend to be the same men that are looking for the plastic females, so let them go find each other is my view - but I'm probably bitter and twisted ;)

Glad to see that Truthseeker thought Cheryl Cole was too skinny on the X-factor thread.

Personally, I like real women, e.g. size 14 to 20, no enhancement surgery etc.A wonky tooth or something can sometimes add to the appeal.

Women are supposed to have 'a bit of a belly' - it's the way they are made and should be something to be proud of. Even if their 'bit of a belly' turns into 'a bit too much of a belly' so what?

I know I'm not alone in finding slightly overweight much more attractive than hipbone protruding, sunken faced skinny.

I hate this phrase of "real women" when it is applied only to women over a certain size! You don't have to be overweight to be real! I am a size 8-10 and am happy with my size. I think Cheryl cole is a beautiful girl if a little thin but that is due to the industry in which she works. I too am 5 foot 3 in and if i was a size 14 would be overweight in my opinion.

I hate this phrase of "real women" when it is applied only to women over a certain size! You don't have to be overweight to be real!

I clarified this in later posts. Anyway, who said 14 or 16 was overweight?

I too am 5 foot 3 in and if i was a size 14 would be overweight in my opinion.

TBH this and especially Cahir's comment of looking "obese" at the same height/size is a little alarming to me. What size do women have to be to carry off a size 14 - 6 feet? what about size 16?

Here's a question for the male participants of this thread, which might give some food for thought to the females.

Which do you think is sexier?

(1) Lady who's slightly overweight but dresses sexy, walks and carries herself with confidence and humour and generally acts like she's sex on legs.

(2) Lady who's not overweight at all and is more physically attractive, but frets endlessly in front of the mirror, will argue with a genuine compliment and insists on the light being off when you're making that sweet music.

Hasten to add that neither of the above is description of the aforementioned Mrs. V, who is probably somewhere between these two fictional extremes.

TBH this and especially Cahir's comment of looking "obese" at the same height/size is a little alarming to me. What size do women have to be to carry off a size 14 - 6 feet? what about size 16?

Ditto - this suggests to me that the media brainwashing of unrealistic female bodyshapes is working - a size 14 is not going to be overweight on someone who is 5ft 3, nor is a size 16.
For posters to suggest that these sizes (on that height) = obese or overweight is VERY alarming.

Im not saying there is anything wrong with someone being a size 10, but equally a size 16 does NOT not overweight, and certainly not obese.

Marilyn Monroe was a size 16 all of her adult life. Was she fat? No.

i don't think it is media "brianwashing" at all. If you look at a persons BMI (body mass index) usually if you are a size 14-16 as 5ft3in you will be classed as overweight if this size rather than if you are a smaller size. I don't think it is alarming at all. As a nation we are becoming heavier so just because more people are a size 14+ doesn't mean that they are the correct weight/size. For my weight/height I am in the normal range of the BMI index and would not be if was a few stone heavier.

Here's a question for the male participants of this thread, which might give some food for thought to the females.

Which do you think is sexier?

(1) Lady who's slightly overweight but dresses sexy, walks and carries herself with confidence and humour and generally acts like she's sex on legs.

(2) Lady who's not overweight at all and is more physically attractive, but frets endlessly in front of the mirror, will argue with a genuine compliment and insists on the light being off when you're making that sweet music.

Hasten to add that neither of the above is description of the aforementioned Mrs. V, who is probably somewhere between these two fictional extremes.

Numero Uno for me!:cool:

i don't think it is media "brianwashing" at all. If you look at a persons BMI (body mass index) usually if you are a size 14-16 as 5ft3in you will be classed as overweight if this size rather than if you are a smaller size. I don't think it is alarming at all. As a nation we are becoming heavier so just because more people are a size 14+ doesn't mean that they are the correct weight/size. For my weight/height I am in the normal range of the BMI index and would not be if was a few stone heavier.

Perhaps there is confusion over dress size and actual weight. I just did the BMI calculation using my weight and height from when I was a size 16 - it comes out at 25.6.
A BMI of over 25 MAY indicate that someone is overweight, that 'may' is something that depends on a lot of factors like how someone is carrying the weight. I lost some size but gained some muscle so now Im a smaller fit in clothes but still weigh around the same as when I wore a larger size.

BMI is very misleading and doesn't really tell an accurate tale. Most rugby players would be considered obese using the BMI index.

Size 16 in Marilyn Monroes time is about a size 12 today http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/mmdress.asp

And at 5ft 5" a size 12 was healthy.

This whole thing is unconfirmed either way. Maybe she wasn't a 16 but she never looked like a 12 to me.

From her vitals on the same link, she weighed up to 10 stone. By some of the above comments, I'm guessing 10 stone at 5'5" would be considered overweight by some women.

Anyway, it sounds like you are contradicting yourself a little - above you say size 14 at 5'3" is obese, yet size 12 at 5'5" is healthy?!

As a matter of interest, (Fobs & cahir) how tall would a woman have to be to look OK as a size 16 in your opinion?

Edit: oh - number one Dave...obviously.

This whole thing is unconfirmed either way. Maybe she wasn't a 16 but she never looked like a 12 to me.

From her vitals on the same link, she weighed up to 10 stone. By some of the above comments, I'm guessing 10 stone at 5'5" would be considered overweight by some women.

Anyway, it sounds like you are contradicting yourself a little - above you say size 14 at 5'3" is obese, yet size 12 at 5'5" is healthy?!

As a matter of interest, (Fobs & cahir) how tall would a woman have to be to look OK as a size 16 in your opinion?

Edit: oh - number one Dave...obviously.

Have no idea "how tall" just know that with my build/height my current size suits me. i am no expert on this but imo most size 14-16+ women could do with losing a few pounds!

i am no expert on this but imo most size 14-16+ women could do with losing a few pounds!

You certainly are no expert, youve just insulted the majority of the adult female population.
I think a comment like that illustrates the severe body dysmorphia that people are developing based on what they are being exposed to as 'normal' in the media.

In my dreams, Kelly doesn't talk so much

Speak of the devil, I just read that Kelly Brooke has broken up with her longtime boyfriend.
Super! If my dreams are anything to go by, and they normally are, it is only a matter of time before she is standing naked beside me in a field full of thistles soaking up the summer rain...

Back