Most overrated music acts

And who dared mention The Smiths? Step outside please while I defend the honour of the Great Beings. Morrissey and Marr together were clearly inspired by Gods.

(That last sentence veers a little bit close to Jim Corr territory but we'll press on.)

Step outside? Listen, if you went through your teens listening to that, you're probably depressed enough already! :D

Step outside? Listen, if you went through your teens listening to that, you're probably depressed enough already! :D

Common misconception about The Smiths is that they're depressing. Far from it. The majority of Morrissey's lyrics are either angry or amusing.

(And as everyone of a certain age knows...Anger is an Energy. Name that tune.)

Common misconception about The Smiths is that they're depressing. Far from it. The majority of Morrissey's lyrics are either angry or amusing.

(And as everyone of a certain age knows...Anger is an Energy. Name that tune.)

I'll name that tune in one, LD.

Rise, by PIL.

Morrisseys lyrics may not have been about depression, but that's how they left me feeling! Personally, I just couldn't take the Smith's seriously, although I'd concede that Johnny Marr was a decent guitarist. I only really noticed that when he was playing with other people though.

Smiths/Morrisey depressing......nah..... with songs like....

Girlfriend in a Coma
Life is a Pigsty
I know its over
Cemetry Gates
You have Killed Me
Dear God please help me
The father who must be killed
I'll never be anybody's hero
I have forgiven This post will be deleted if not edited immediately
This world is full of crashing bores
Heaven knows I'm miserable now
& words like
"she told me she loved me so that means she must be insane'
"but This post will be deleted if not edited immediately hurt me when he diserted me'

..really amusing stuff.......(can't you tell I'm a fan!)

The Who can file themselves under "not great" too IMO.

Why is it half of their songs sound like intros that build to nothing and then just end?

I'm with Jock. The above mentioned tracks, yes, also Panic, Bigmouth, There is a light... all spring to mind. I quite like The Smiths sometimes but I think they had contemporaries who were more important e.g. New Order, Echo & the Bunnymen.

I think Bowie said something along the lines of "Morrisey's song titles tend to be more interesting than the songs themselves" ;)

Mind you, they'd just had a bit of a spat.

"So i broke into the Palace with a sponge and a rusty spanner, she said i know you and you cannot sing, i said thats nothing you should hear me play piano"

The Queen is dead from meat is murder

pure genius

There's a club, if you'd like to go
You could meet somebody who really loves you
So you go, and you stand on your own
And you leave on your own
And you go home, and you cry
And you want to die

Ditto

"So i broke into the Palace with a sponge and a rusty spanner, she said i know you and you cannot sing, i said thats nothing you should hear me play piano"

The Queen is dead from meat is murder

pure genius

Interesting choice to show us the Smiths ain't over-rated!

And you want to die

Ditto

Jaysus, and they slag Phil Collins for being downbeat!

Did this little ditty come with a 20 foot length of rope? :D

Yah but Phil Collins is just middle of the road squalking drivel (should have been a road kill when I think about it!)

:rolleyes: Great to see that this is turning out to be a Smiths/Morrisey appreciation thread though

Queen

in general, but especially at Live Aid.

For the life of me, I could never warm to them and for anyone to claim that they stole the show at LiveAid, I have to say - not in my world.

I knew mentioning Lou Reed would have people up in arms :) but 'Heaven knows I'm miserable now'....good to see the staunch support for The Smiths.

Agreed - Coldplay is overrated along with Oasis & Blur!

Totally. Jarvis Cocker and Pulp was by far the best of this era but always seemed to linger behind Oasis and Blur. Hard to fathom.......

Another middle of the road yet popular artist is Chris Rea. Again why? :confused:

And you want to die

Ditto

Although we may not agree on Van Morrison, it seems Ubi and I have found common ground. :D A heart-wrenching anthem for shy teenagers everywhere.

Back