Most overrated music acts

Oh Brilliant thread.

U2 definitely (why won't they just go away !?!?!!)
Beatles (60's hysteria understandable considering the 50s. In the late 60s they were blitzed, let alone the 70s. Why people 'still' call them the best band ever is mindnumbing. However, 1 thing I'll never understand, Lennon was shot, George was stabbed...how the hell did McCartney never get whacked ?)
Springsteen (Saw him live, to my utter shame.) Smurf with a guitar singing. Talentless little toad.
Celine Dion...(Ken Lee, need I say more ?)
Bryan Adams (2 Canadians outta 5...not good!)

More to come....

Blasphemor!! :eek:

Of course it's all about the lyrics - that's where the truth is man!

i wouldn't say it's all about teh lyrics at all with dylan at all.

For me it's mainly about the music.

He has got great melodys - and plenty of them.

He is by far and away my no. 1.

For anyone who says they don't get him, I can guarantee they have never listened to him properly.

Listen to the albums - not some greatedt hits collection.

His albums are filled with gems that a lot of people have never even heard.

David Gray (He was very nearly the cause of me going on a killing spree due to White Ladder being plugged, played and talked about for the entire year of 1999.)

Nirvana - awful!
Disagree about the Smiths - brilliant band
Aslan - great band!
Elton John - some brilliant songs and a lot of rubbish

The Smiths

Isn't music amazing - everyone has completely different opinions! The Smiths are brilliant! As for Aslan, there are few bands I'd turn down the radio for but they're one of them!! And give Madonna credit for going for so long? What's that got to do with anything - the point of this thread is to wonder how crap acts manage to be so highly rated no?!

Some more current ones - Il Divo - manky
Beyonce - god awful
All of those JZ, Kelly featuring Nelly!, love in da club, etc etc, pointless and boring
Puff Daddy - absolutely dire

Mariah Carey-HATE her music!

Aslan- class.

Guns n roses - pure class!! (In the olden days mind you!)

For me, it's got to be Amy W(h)inehouse (spelling deliberate, by the way!!).

Saw her "performance" from Glastonbury on TV, where she mumbled because she appeared not to know the words to whatever song she was singing, followed by a song where she appeared to forget the tune as well.

How did she get a reputation for being a wonderful artiste?

Oooops! Forgot to include Celine Dion in there - was looking at best selling albums of all time yesterday - she's got 3 albums over 20million! Who is buying this stuff???

For me, it's got to be Amy W(h)inehouse (spelling deliberate, by the way!!).

Saw her "performance" from Glastonbury on TV, where she mumbled because she appeared not to know the words to whatever song she was singing, followed by a song where she appeared to forget the tune as well.

How did she get a reputation for being a wonderful artiste?

..........listen to the album Back to Black and you'll see why she gets a good rating...... she was bad at Gallstonebury alright..... shame she's screwed up a bit.

Anyways on with the trouncing on the overrated.... did I forget to mention

Elton John, Phil Collins, Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, SawDoctors, Van Morrison,Daniel O'Donnell,Spice Girls,Wastelife, Boyzone

.....oops I did already..... soooooo

50 Cent, Eminemea, Poop Doggy Dog, Shaggy...... any of that bling bling crap really

Celine Bloody Dion,Barbara Streisand, Nirvana, Thin Lizzy, The Rolling Stones, U2, U2, U2,(Would he ever stop lecturing us and if he wants to lecture anyone, start with the armaments industry and the countries supplying 3rd world countries with tribal societies,with 21st century weapons). Sorry, rant over.
Bryan Adams, Led Zepplin, The Corrs, Enya, and all those who were great in their day but that day is gone,so stop trying to fund your retirement by putting on shows that show up how bad you were the first time round and make me feel old, grumpy and a has been!!!!

Woooaahhh!! hold on there now...

I take great issue with any suggested relegation of Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin :(

But the rest, fair enough....;)

And I've heard loads of Dylan by the way - I'll never be convinced.:D

Nirvana and Zeppelin are immune from criticism...any deviation from that rule and you're all banned for life ! :)

Eminem is a great rapper and deserves credit for breaking into a genre like Hippedy Hop.
Fiddy Cent is a boil on the face of humanity though and is deservedly on this list.

Really surprised to see nirvana on 3 times... that is until I see the same posters actual taste.

I suppose taste is all subjective - I just never got Nirvana/Kurt Cobain at all.

Quite easy...

Here's five...

Madame George
Jackie Wilson Said (I'M In Heaven When You Smile)
Moondance
Bright Side Of The Road
Brown Eyed Girl

Here's another five...

Gloria
Real Real Gone
Here Comes The Night
Coney Island
It`s All Over Now Baby Blue

When do you want me to stop :)

Hmmm...looks like I have VERY different musical tastes to Ubi.

I'll put the others down to musical differences, but dear God how can you include Coney Island? Isn't that the one where he blathers on about "the craic was good"? I'd hardly call that a song - I'd call that an Irishman who's not sure if he's a Yank or not, droning on about birdwatching and other riveting ways to pass a Sunday...with some music in the background.

If that goes in a list of great songs, will someone please get me a recording contract? Here's my first single: -

Ratoath by Liam Ferguson

I looked out of my kitchen window
It was raining
I made a ham sandwich
I ate it
It was very nice
And I thought to myself
"That was a nice ham sandwich"
And wondered whether or not to have a biscuit

Right then, anyone able to drum up a bit of background music?

;)

Back