Most overrated music acts

Caveat

Who do you just not 'get' ?

For me it's:

The Clash:

London Calling is regularly lauded as one of the best albums ever...er...don't think so...some great tracks (e.g. title track, Spanish Bombs, Train in Vain) ...but loads of filler IMHO. Sorry - they were a singles band.

Bob Dylan:

Some classic tracks obviously... well quite a few classic tracks and the lyrics are always great but melodically, with a few exceptions - he's a bit dull really isn't he? It can't all be about the lyrics.

I'll upset a few more people later...;)

For me it's:

The Clash:

London Calling is regularly lauded as one of the best albums ever...er...don't think so...some great tracks (e.g. title track, Spanish Bombs, Train in Vain) ...but loads of filler IMHO. Sorry - they were a singles band.

Bob Dylan:

Some classic tracks obviously... well quite a few classic tracks and the lyrics are always great but melodically, with a few exceptions - he's a bit dull really isn't he? It can't all be about the lyrics.

I'll upset a few more people later...;)

Dylan dull??? Its a complete injustice to just listen to his 'classics'. Listen to 'To Ramona' for example. You've upset me already :eek:

I like where this thread is going. Can anyone name more than five great Van Morrison songs, considering he's a living legend and has been writing songs for about 120 years and all?

Phil Collins
Elton John
Van Morrisson
Daniel O'Donnell
Mariah Carey
The Saw Doctors

Trying to narrow this down is hard.

Chris de Burgh
Sting
Norah Jones
Van Morrison
Cliff Richard
Eric Clapton

Jury still out on Destinys Child but am generally excluding the 'manufactured' boy/girlbands as they are marketed for mass appeal so its not their fault :rolleyes:

Have to say I agree with every single post so far. :)

I'd level particular criticism at Sting , Elton & Brucie.

BTW, "obvious" ones don't count - has to be acts that are darlings of the critics and that are described as 'genuises' and as having 'a vital contribution to popular music' etc.

Never got the Beatles. Also cant stand John Lennon's solo stuff. Or Paul McCartney/Wings. Imagine is one of my most hated songs ever and will always switch stations if it comes on.

Wastelife
Boyzone
Spicegirls
El Divo (one or two nice songs but that's it)
Celine Dion

Can anyone name more than five great Van Morrison songs, considering he's a living legend and has been writing songs for about 120 years and all?

Quite easy...

Here's five...

Madame George
Jackie Wilson Said (I'M In Heaven When You Smile)
Moondance
Bright Side Of The Road
Brown Eyed Girl

Here's another five...

Gloria
Real Real Gone
Here Comes The Night
Coney Island
It`s All Over Now Baby Blue

When do you want me to stop :)

Most overrated song.....
......sssoooooooooooooo bye bye miss american pie......drove my chevie to the levy .......

what a woeful song

I'd normally have loads to say on a thread like this, but:

a) my gums hurt

b) I said I wasn't going to get angry today

Maybe later though ;)

For me it's:

Bob Dylan:

Blasphemor!! :eek:

Of course it's all about the lyrics - that's where the truth is man!

Have to say I agree with every single post so far. :)

I'd level particular criticism at Sting , Elton & Brucie.

BTW, "obvious" ones don't count - has to be acts that are darlings of the critics and that are described as 'genuises' and as having 'a vital contribution to popular music' etc.

Hey leave Brucie alone - ever seen the man live? Fantastic. Also disagree about Van - as pointed out by ubi, lots of good stuff from the little grump! Agree with MandaC about John Lennon solo though. Others ... Aslan (alright I know they're hardly popular outside the Pale but why oh why so popular inside the Pale?) and Madonna

I was quietly nodding my head as I read each post agreeing, even agreeing and then possibly changing my mind on Van but then came the major slight on Aslan. Possibly one of the best bands not to have made it big commercially (btw, I live outside the pale). Their debut album was probably one of the best first albums by a band, certainly an Irish band and they are definitely a must-see live band.

I'm not a Madonna fan but give her credit for really exploiting whatever talent she does have over a long period of time.....that is until you tie her back to the post about American Pie.....woeful!!

Oh yeah....Dylan; never quite got that, I reckon he should have stuck to poetry and ditched the guitar !!

Hey leave Brucie alone - ever seen the man live? Fantastic. Also disagree about Van - as pointed out by ubi, lots of good stuff from the little grump! Agree with MandaC about John Lennon solo though. Others ... Aslan (alright I know they're hardly popular outside the Pale but why oh why so popular inside the Pale?) and Madonna

Back