Most overrated music acts

Someone mentioned Iggy Pop earlier. He recorded the definitive version of The Passenger. That alone means he qualifies as one of the great artists of our time. Doesn't matter if some of the other stuff he did was unlistenable. The Passenger forgives him for everything.

The Corrs don't qualify for this thread. They were never over-rated. Everyone knew they were rubbish.

Hmmm...looks like I have VERY different musical tastes to Ubi.

I'll put the others down to musical differences, but dear God how can you include Coney Island? Isn't that the one where he blathers on about "the craic was good"? I'd hardly call that a song - I'd call that an Irishman who's not sure if he's a Yank or not, droning on about birdwatching and other riveting ways to pass a Sunday...with some music in the background.

If that goes in a list of great songs, will someone please get me a recording contract? Here's my first single: -

Ratoath by Liam Ferguson

I looked out of my kitchen window
It was raining
I made a ham sandwich
I ate it
It was very nice
And I thought to myself
"That was a nice ham sandwich"
And wondered whether or not to have a biscuit

Right then, anyone able to drum up a bit of background music?

;)

Best post by far on this topic.....now will you be singing that with a half Norn Iron -Yankee accent or have Dublin-Yankee accent! :)

And who dared mention The Smiths? Step outside please while I defend the honour of the Great Beings. Morrissey and Marr together were clearly inspired by Gods.

(That last sentence veers a little bit close to Jim Corr territory but we'll press on.)

Best post by far on this topic.....now will you be singing that with a half Norn Iron -Yankee accent or have Dublin-Yankee accent! :)

Haven't lived in Dublin for a couple of years so am working on my Meath accent. Just haven't decided whether to go with Hector Meath or Pierce Brosnan Meath.

Someone mentioned Iggy Pop earlier. He recorded the definitive version of The Passenger. That alone means he qualifies as one of the great artists of our time. Doesn't matter if some of the other stuff he did was unlistenable. The Passenger forgives him for everything.

Iggy has had about 3 moments of genius, The Passenger and Lust for Life are 2.

Hey leave Brucie alone - ever seen the man live? Fantastic.
If I had a choice of spending an evening with This post will be deleted if not edited immediately or Bruce I’d pick Bruce. Springsteen is a master.

LD - you're in fine form this evening. When is the album out? :D

Isn't this thread about the 'iconic' bands so surely it goes without saying that the boybands (Westlife), Eurovision contestants (Donna & Joe), people who got lucky at other peoples expense (Corrs and Snorah Jones), anything made as part of a tv programme etc are automatically disqualified.

This is about the overrated 'iconic' bands. So why on earth were The Doors and Smiths put in. The Cure will be added next :(

LD - you're in fine form this evening. When is the album out? :D

I was going to mention my poor singing voice. But then I remembered Van Morrison - didn't stop him.

This is about the overrated 'iconic' bands. So why on earth were The Doors and Smiths put in. The Cure will be added next :(

Depends on your definition of iconic. Love him or hate him, Jim Morrison influenced vast numbers of subsequent rock singers in terms of style and stage performance. I'd give him bona fide rock icon status.

And The Smiths were icons for a generation of lonely, misfit teenagers in the eighties.

Depends on your definition of iconic. Love him or hate him, Jim Morrison influenced vast numbers of subsequent rock singers in terms of style and stage performance. I'd give him bona fide rock icon status.

And The Smiths were icons for a generation of lonely, misfit teenagers in the eighties.

Fully agree. I don't know why they were included. Take Eminem - wouldn't be a huge fan but recognise what he has done. I guess music is the universal language after all :)

Just another verse or two and you'll have a hit (I'm sure the sandwich aisle of M&S could give you loads of 'inspiration' :D

In the loose term of the most overrated music acts...

Riverdance

I've heard the expression milk something to death. But it's sell-by-date expired at least ten years ago. Can someone please ask them to quit while there still is a little bit of dignity.

rolling stones and beatles too influential for this thread as is elton john pre1975.......but totally agree after that they offered little or nothing.
how could anyone put thin lizzy in this list?
black sabbath with ozzy was class.....first original metal sound and maiden launched new wave of metal.
That said cannot understand how come bon jovi, poison etc etc not mentioned.

I think Coldplay should be a contender too? They're fluffed up as some sort of British 'alternative rock' but will they be known to many in twenty or thirty years time?

And what about.....ok here goes.....heresy to some.....Lou Reed? Some great songs and great music but I honestly think some songs e.g Perfect Day would have prospered anyway if say someone like Michael Stipe did them.

Also what did The Righteous Brothers, Simon & Garfunkel and the Bee Gees bring to music? Maybe even The Eagles (except maybe nostalgia for some)? Or am I missing their point?

zeppelin were not true metal........blues rock.
that said some great tunes, communication breakdown a personal favourite.

Iron Maiden

WTF :eek:

(Waterford drawl required for this line) - I'll tell you one thing now lad, I wont tell you two things, they wont be looking too overrated tomorrow night in Twickenham with 50k fans screaming at them. (me among them)

But seriously, I dont think they are rated at all by anyone other than metal fans & metal press. In that parallel universe they are lauded and rightly so, not too many bands still bringing out quality albums & doing stadium tours after so long. (I admit the '94 - c2000 period was a bit sh1te).

David Gray was the one that sprang to mind immediately when I saw this thread title.

Saw Doctors - dont they do what it says on the tin?, I never heard anyone overhype them - 'unbelilevers' should listen to Live in Galway - music for culchies because we're worth it. ;)

heresy to some.....Lou Reed?

Heresy indeed! Lou Reed can be very inconsistent but his work with The Velvet Underground and the Berlin album alone ensures his legendary status. A handful of other solo classic recordings too.

...IMO of course ;)

My suggestion for today: Paul Weller - OK he can be good (especially in The Jam), but is he truly great? A large section of the music press seem to think so :confused:

And what about.....ok here goes.....heresy to some.....Lou Reed? Some great songs and great music but I honestly think some songs e.g Perfect Day would have prospered anyway if say someone like Michael Stipe did them.

And if my dog had kittens he'd be my cat... Lou Reed wrote Perfect Day!

Reed is a genius - New York & Magic & Loss are masterpieces, as well as the other highpoints mentioned, but in fairness some of his other stuff is pedestrian

My suggestion for today: Paul Weller - OK he can be good (especially in The Jam), but is he truly great? A large section of the music press seem to think so :confused:
I have to agree with this.

Back