Lose and loose

One that's been appearing quite a lot recently is people complaining about "wreckless" driving. I always thought that was a key objective when driving.

One that's been appearing quite a lot recently is people complaining about "wreckless" driving. I always thought that was a key objective when driving.

OMG! I used the word "wreckless" the other day! I never even noticed.

I hang my head in shame.... :eek:

Yes, I must admit that I was shocked by "wreckless".

The correct spelling is "reckless".

AAM has a good standard of spelling, while I find www.boards.ie to be poor.

"it's" and "its" is a tricky one.

Confusion between "effect" and "affect" is common. When I tell people that effect is a noun, and affect is a verb, I don't really think that helps.

I still don't know the rules for "that" and "which".

Hate to wreck your buzz but they have actually don't teach the 'i' before 'e' rule anymore because there were way too many exceptions. It was a nice rhyme but that was about it!
:confused: I dont understand this post, can you explain please? Are you saying that 'i before e except after c' is no longer applicable??

:confused: I dont understand this post, can you explain please? Are you saying that 'i before e except after c' is no longer applicable??

It never was completely anyway:

science, ancient, weird, vein... + many more

It was only ever a rough, general rule. Too many fairly common exceptions.

Grammar conventions have changed even in the last 20 or 30 years - for example, for my father's generation, it was a big 'no no' to use can for permission: "Can I eat this?" as a kid, the answer I always got was "Well I'm sure you can, but if you are asking permission, then yes, you may" (usually delivered with a smug smirk)

However most authoritative grammar texts these days will list can, for permission, as legitimate, acceptable usage.

Maybe 'I before E' is simply now, after consideration, regarded as confusing and ultimately unhelpful?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/8110573.stm

As the poster above points out, there are simply too many exceptions. I actually think it is one of the easier to remember rules so was sad to hear it but I was shocked when I started to list all the exceptions and seen how many there were. Made the rule sound silly then.

I suppose as a very general fun for young kids, it might have some merit but it is strange how so many of us seem to have carried the rhyme with us into adulthood!

Grammar conventions have changed even in the last 20 or 30 years - for example, for my father's generation, it was a big 'no no' to use can for permission: "Can I eat this?" as a kid, the answer I always got was "Well I'm sure you can, but if you are asking permission, then yes, you may" (usually delivered with a smug smirk)

However most authoritative grammar texts these days will list can, for permission, as legitimate, acceptable usage.

quote]
Oh this brought back memories-I remember a teacher in national school making some hapless child repeat 'can I...' over and over but not telling them that they wanted them to say 'may I..'

quote]

This used to happen in my house as well, brought back a few memories!
:)

Yep, that was a big no-no in our house too. To this day when I phone someone I ask 'May I ' speak to so and so.

My english teacher used to hate the use of 'lots of' instead of, for eg, many so that's another one I still instinctively avoid.

OK, but most uses are as a noun:

ef⋅fect  /ɪˈfɛkt/ [broken link removed] Show Spelled Pronunciation [i-fekt] [broken link removed] Show IPA

Use effect in a Sentence

–noun 1.something that is produced by an agency or cause; result; consequence: Exposure to the sun had the effect of toughening his skin.
2.power to produce results; efficacy; force; validity; influence: His protest had no effect.
3.the state of being effective or operative; operation or execution; accomplishment or fulfillment: to bring a plan into effect.
4.a mental or emotional impression produced, as by a painting or a speech.
5.meaning or sense; purpose or intention: She disapproved of the proposal and wrote to that effect.
6.the making of a desired impression: We had the feeling that the big, expensive car was only for effect.
7.an illusory phenomenon: a three-dimensional effect.
8.a real phenomenon (usually named for its discoverer): the Doppler effect.
9.[broken link removed]

–verb (used with object)
10.to produce as an effect; bring about; accomplish; make happen: The new machines finally effected the transition to computerized accounting last spring.

—Idioms
11.in effect, a.for practical purposes; virtually: His silence was in effect a confirmation of the rumor. b.essentially; basically.c.operating or functioning; in force: The plan is now in effect. 12.take effect, a.to go into operation; begin to function.b.to produce a result: The prescribed medicine failed to take effect.

Saw one today that made me smile, it has turned up on this board more than once generally in relation to houses or cars... where people are describing them as "deprecating" assets :) I have a vision of a rather snooty car running you down (in both the literal and the figurative sense!)

That one usually does it for me - people referring to this country as some geographical abstraction.

The wife of a mate of mine is from Belfast and refers to their holiday home in Co. Donegal as being in The South (or Sythe as she pronounces it ;)). The actual location of the house is, geographically, further north that anywhere in the North, so how somewhere north of The North can be referred to as The Sythe is beyond me :eek: !

Maybe she got geography lessons from the Donegal people themselves - they seem to think that they live in the southern half of Ireland - always talking about going UP to Dublin.

OK, but most uses are as a noun:
I don’t disagree – just pointing out that you may be confusing your friends by telling them that effect is a noun and affect is a verb. They may look at callybags’ example, assume her spelling is incorrect and conclude that we are all affecting a great debate here. And perhaps we are….

... always talking about going UP to Dublin.
By polite convention, one always travels UP to the capital, irrespective of one's geographical starting location relative to it. Hence, one always travels down to Cork, unless one has the misfortune to be from Cork, in which case one might travel DOWN to Dublin

By polite convention, one always travels UP to the capital, irrespective of one's geographical starting location relative to it.

Was just going to post this. It's a common enough convention in other countries too AFAIK.

Back