Lose and loose

Diziet

It is not often I have the need to Let Off Steam. However, I have lost count of posts from otherwise (I assume) reasonably literate people using 'loose' instead of 'lose'. And I am afraid I have to struggle to take whatever is written seriously at that point.

Dictionary definition for 'loose':
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/loose

... and for 'lose':
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lose

Not the same thing, right? I feel so much better now :). Don't start me on the grocer's apostrophe.

"PIN Number" Personal Identification Number
"ATM Machine" Automated Teller Machine
NI and UK ("You mean NI or GB?" "No I mean mainland UK". "But the UK is just a collection of islands, the nearest mainland is Europe" "I should of knowing, but now I'll loose me temper"
Southern Ireland (as in Ireland but not Northern Ireland - even the Brits don't do this anymore, generally)

NI and UK ("You mean NI or GB?" "No I mean mainland UK". "But the UK is just a collection of islands, the nearest mainland is Europe" "I should of knowing, but now I'll loose me temper"
When talking to English suppliers I try to use "mainland" when talking about mainland Europe. As in,
"I'll be over on the mainland next week"
"Oh, will you get a chance to pop in and see us?"
"No, I won't be in Britain; I'll be on the mainland"
"But this is the mainland"
"No it's not; it's the other small island off the coast of Europe"

I also know I shouldn’t but it bugs the hell out of me as well.

DIRT tax.

Or is that so common that it has gained a degree of acceptability?

(aside:- how many people would be annoyed by the error if I instead said it had gained a decree of acceptability? Actually, come to think of it, that error makes a sort of sense too)

When talking to English suppliers I try to use "mainland" when talking about mainland Europe. As in,
"I'll be over on the mainland next week"
"Oh, will you get a chance to pop in and see us?"
"No, I won't be in Britain; I'll be on the mainland"
"But this is the mainland"
"No it's not; it's the other small island off the coast of Europe"

I also know I shouldn’t but it bugs the hell out of me as well.

I would always consider "mainland" to mean the large European land mass, never the UK/GB or whatever they want to call it. An island is an island. ( and if you're a Joe fan...."Make me an Island"...... ! where there are no banks/NAMA's taxes or insolvent soccer clubs)

DIRT tax.

Or is that so common that it has gained a degree of acceptability?

(aside:- how many people would be annoyed by the error if I instead said it had gained a decree of acceptability? Actually, come to think of it, that error makes a sort of sense too)

Defo has gained acceptance, I mean, if I asked a farmer " what about the DIRT on your savings" he might get offended thinking that he had unclean bank statements. ;) ( and believe me that happens too, you would not believe what is sometimes attached to financial records:eek: )

"Brought" instead of "Bought". Admittedly a problem I've noticed mainly with British people on forums etc., but still a pain.

I got an email from an insurance broker last year and three times in it he said "...would of thought that.."
Needless to say he did not get the business.

Do you need an english degree to be an insurance broker?

Please explain further as i'm at a lose of why his english ability had anything to do with giving you insurance.

Back