Lose and loose

By polite convention, one always travels UP to the capital, irrespective of one's geographical starting location relative to it. Hence, one always travels down to Cork, unless one has the misfortune to be from Cork, in which case one might travel DOWN to Dublin

So everyone from Dublin travels UP to Cork. Finally, glad we sorted that one out . :D

So everyone from Dublin travels UP to Cork. Finally, glad we sorted that one out . :D
That may be Cork-centric logic, but one has always regarded trips outside the Pale to be rather down-market, not to put too fine a point on it. :rolleyes:

Why would they do that, other than to recover stolen goods. ;)

Or possibly sometimes to take a look at [broken link removed], ( on his occasional sojourns outside Kilkenny) since they're never likely to see him much within the Pale. ;)

Geographic directions, if that's even the correct phrase, have equivalents in conversational english i.e.

up north (it's grim up north i'nt it)
down south (way down in Alabama)
back weshht
over east

In my childhood I recall people using "heather" as a direction - I think it was some ultra rural derivation or mispronunciation of "hither" now that I think about it, but a line might have gone "After he cut the meadow he was supposed to come heather and leave the tractor ....... ".

For some reason I always hear the Deliverance banjo tune when reminiscing about those days :D !

My pet hate is of instead of have.....I should of, or he could of(whatever)
Stop doing that!!!

I think people get into habits and it gets really hard to break. One girl I know did a big poster mentioning lots of prises! She just can't spell to save her life. The poster went around the whole company. The guy who won first prise was having a conversation with me and said, did you see I won first prise, with an s. The way he said it was hilarious. Wonder why she did not do a spell check (or would it have come up?)

There's a big notice the size of the whole window in a shop in Terenure announcing that they are 'transfering' to new premises.

I used to work with a woman who always said 'it's wrote on the file', 'it's wrote in the book'. Really started to grate after a while.

Has anyone else seen the large sign at the left hand side of the Cherry Tree pub at Walkinstown roundabout which reads:

Your pub

Your welcome.

Or my favourite sign of all time which was outside a house near Enfield selling Leather Suites of furniture "Lather suits"

All this talk of signs has reminded me of an old joke / riddle that I once heard.

Q. How can you have a correct scentence with the word 'and' used correctly 5 times in a row?

A. There is a shopkeeper getting a new sign above his door. The name of the Shop is 'Murphy and Sons'. The signwriter has just finished painting on the writing and asks the shopkeeper to come out and check that the sign is ok.

The shopkeeper looks up at the sign and says 'It's very nice but I would like a bigger space between Murphy and and, and and and Sons.'

I won first prise, with an s. The way he said it was hilarious. Wonder why she did not do a spell check (or would it have come up?)

Since prise is a valid word itself, the spellchecker wouldn't have been much help. A human proof-reader might have been a good idea, though!

Or my favourite sign of all time which was outside a house near Enfield selling Leather Suites of furniture "Lather suits"
Yes, I remember that sign! I saw an ad on the paper today and the seller of the goods advertised will 'except' payment by credit card etc.

Was just going to post this. It's a common enough convention in other countries too AFAIK.

It appears in railway conventions too - certainly in England, the "Up" road is going towards London and the "Down" road away from.

Here is another one, from a thread started today:

Query: would it be in bad form for me to post a reply pointing out the two errant apostrophes?

What's more worrying is that the question refers to graduate medicine!!

Here is another one, from a thread started today:

Query: would it be in bad form for me to post a reply pointing out the two errant apostrophes?

What's more worrying is that the question refers to graduate medecine!!

Only if you point out your own errant spelling :)

Another pet hate in another thread started today, "shud" instead of "should". Combined with a general disregard for sentence structure, an absence of capitalised first letters, missing words in the sentence and nonsensical punctuation this screams the dreaded txtspk. It is simply bad manners to be so careless about written communiqué, especially if you are asking a question.

Many times, I have heard people say 'to all intensive purposes' instead of 'to all intents and purposes'.

Each time I'm tempted to ask '.. and what is an intensive purpose ?', but resist the temptation :D.

Back