Key Post: the best pizza in Dublin?

Re: the best pizza?

Yes Clubman, neither did I ;) But you have to say he does have a nice job!

My favourite pizza toppings are (I know you didn't ask but ...!):

Artichoke hearts, tuna, black olives, thinly cut onion, spinach....mmmmm :)

normally a good rule of thumb for a pizzeria is to check how they do the 'bianca', the white pizza with no topping, only a bit of coarse salt, rosmary and tiny bit of olive oil. hard to get it here tho, normally the margherita is good for this as well. if the most basic pizza is nice it's because they know how to make the dough and use fresh tomatoes and mozzarella.
In Da Pino they do this Regina pizza with fresh sliced tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella and rocket leaves on a plain base, it rules.

Have to agree with Cahir that the Fiorentina in Milanos is the best pizza around, and if you ask for ham on top it's only the business!

Have tried this in many outlets but nothing compares to the Milano version.

Even the thought of it and the mouth is weeping!

Unregistered said:
Have to agree with Cahir that the Fiorentina in Milanos is the best pizza around, and if you ask for ham on top it's only the business!QUOTE]

Speaking of which, I'm just back from lunch in Milanos and had a lovely Fiorentina - the waiter even asked if I wanted the egg hard or soft.

Milanos just opened a branch in Limerick - must check it out..!

I'm interested to see whether the waiter/waitress enquires as to how I'd like the egg cooked!

:D [P.S. What ever happened to the :rollin icon?]

How about nowhere in Ireland. Form follows function, ergo if proper ingredients for home preparation are unobtainable then the environs are lacking commercial offerings.

Where are Italian salsiccie (fresh) to be found in Ireland? Or rucola at less than ransom del re for that matter?

Homebaking (the pizza stone for the cooker had to be imported from [broken link removed] because none could be sourced in Dublin as per usual) is the way to go.

Is pizza really Italian?

Pizza as we know it today is generally acknowledged to be an American invention from the 1950s (when it spread outside the Italian-American community as "eating out" became commonplace in the US suburbs).

Salsiccie on pizza? Ych!

if you do a simple look up in google you'll find that it's mostly a mediterranean thing:

Italian salsicce are a totally different thing from what you call salsicce here. Honestly. I think you can occasionally try them at a restaurant called Boccaccio in temple bar, never seen them anywhere else.

Anyway, pineapple on pizza? What's that all about? The only time I had 'american' pizza was in Pizza Hut in London and what a sorry experience that was.

Try Da Enzo in fairview. But seriously, I've been to Italy and I agree the salsicce there is better. But not on pizza, that's my own personal opinion.

Pizza Hut? That's a fast food joint. The best pizza in the world is a plain "slice" (margherita, with basil and rosemary) from any downtown Manhattan pizzeria, if you ask me.)

The original Il Fornaio is a small unpretentious eatery in Kilbarrack. Good food at good prices. Haven't had the pizza but the kids say it's great (and they're pretty choosy).

extopia, don't knock 'em sausages on a pizza till you tried, with 'shrooms and mozzarella it's the bizknees...won't knock your manhattan slices 'till I have a chance to taste.

I know the fornaio in kilbarrack, sometimes I get my 'rosetta' bread there...

wavejumper said:
I know the fornaio in kilbarrack, sometimes I get my 'rosetta' bread there...

What class of bread is that ? I'm partial to a loaf of Filone at the weekend from Fornaio and am interested in trying other breads.
Once you've eaten freshly made bread like that, you can never go back to the sliced pan.

it's...uh...looks like what you'd call a farl, and the top part has is made of 5 circles...hard to describe...looks like this!
[broken link removed]

warm it a bit in the oven, slice in half, 2 slices of salame milano, instant nirvana.

The best pizzas are in Napoli. They taste especially good after a day spent climbing Vesuvius.

Just found out Da Pinos is selling up in the next few weeks - it's a sad day for pizza lovers. :(

Joe Nonety said:
The best pizzas are in Napoli. They taste especially good after a day spent climbing Vesuvius.
Naw - Sicily. No competition. Climbing Etna optional. ;)

Sal Oriens Italian at the Thatch Pub at the Heritage Golf and Country Club Killenard, Co. Laois. Stayed over last week and have to say the food was lovely and relatively inexpensive.

Naples? Sicily? Laois?

I know Greater Dublin is extending, but obviously faster than I thought........

Back