Key Post: the best pizza in Dublin?

tonino

Can anyone tell me where is the best place for authentic italian pizza in Dublin either to eat in or take away ? thanks

Re: the best pizza?

Romano's in Capel Street, Dublin 7 does some of the best that I've tasted outside of Sicily - and at Eur9.95 for a two course lunch plus tea/coffee special (unfortunately they recently dropped desert from the lunch special - I always wondered how it was economically viable for them in the first place!) 12:30-15:00 Monday-Saturday you can't lose by trying. Great bases and simple toppings. They also use organic eggs and flour for their pasta/pizza dishes which is a bonus. They're also open evenings for dinner.

Still look forward to returning to Silicy sometime soon for their pizzas though...

true, green chicken curry on a pizza is not exactly your authentic italian pizza, but if you want to know where to find the best pizza in ireland, look no further than Millers pizza on lower baggot street - absolutely without doubt the nicest pizza I've ever tasted. The pizzas are 16.50 but its like getting a meal on top of a pizza base, and the base is flavoured. you can also get chicken satay, fajitas, etc...all served on a pizza base - genius!

OhPinchy said:
its like getting a meal on top of a pizza base

I prefer the Italian/Sicilian approach to pizzas where less is more.

don'e forget us out in the sticks...Deli Burger in Balbriggan do really good pizzas...gets my vote every time

hm, never really found one as good as home but perhaps on a good day Da Pino sort of gets it...also steps of Rome, where you buy square cuts which is the typical roman take-away approach...on a side note, when they introduced the euro in italy consumers and pizzeria workers were on the streets complaining how a pizza was now going to cost almost 5 euro...how hard they must be laughing over here charging what they do.

Not very authentic but my favourite pizza in Dublin is the Fiorentina from Milanos. Especially when the egg in the middle isn't fully hard!

Cahir said:
Not very authentic but my favourite pizza in Dublin is the Fiorentina from Milanos. Especially when the egg in the middle isn't fully hard!

I don't think that Fiorentina is unauthentic. I have several of them in Sicily. In fact I think that was the first place that I ever saw them.

wavejumper - where's home out of interest? Have to agree about the relative pricing of what is, after all, a pretty simple food (albeit, as ever, easily messed up!) here versus elsewhere.

Hard to know what's "authentic" in the pizza world. Pizza styles vary radically in different parts of Italy, as well as different parts of the USA, which is the REAL home of great pizza in my opinion.

I go to Independent Pizza in Drumcondra all the time. It's been around since 1984 and is VERY consistent (the true measure of a good restaurant). Sadly they are no longer as cheap as they were but still a good deal in overpriced Dublin. Always busy and a good place to take the kids. I recommed the barbecued chicken pizza myself but the margherita is great too.

Sad to have to say though that even in a very expensive part of Italy near the Amalfi coast the pizza was about a third of the price as it generally is in Dublin (and the restaurants had 10 times the atmosphere).

ClubMan said:
I don't think that Fiorentina is unauthentic. I have several of them in Sicily. In fact I think that was the first place that I ever saw them.

Sorry, meant that Milanos isn't very authentic given that it's an english chain restaurant. Had a Fiorentina recently in La Gondala on the Quays and wasn't nearly as nice.

ClubMan said:
Romano's in Capel Street, Dublin 7
unfortunately they recently dropped desert from the lunch special - I always wondered how it was economically viable for them in the first place

yea Romano's do very nice pizza but we were very disappointed when we went there this week to discover that there was no cake :eek:

Good pizza in Eamon Dorans, very authentic New York style, they shipped in an oven from the states to cook them in. A huge slice costs about 4 yo yos.

paddyc said:
yea Romano's do very nice pizza but we were very disappointed when we went there this week to discover that there was no cake :eek:

Well, I did warn you above! ;) Actually I think that they still hand out the same menus with dessert listed as included in the 9.95 so I wonder if that falls foul of some consumer protection legislation or other? Mind you, I wouldn't like to get on Romano's wrong side even if he is a small bloke! All of the many competitive cyclists that I know are hard men! :D

Tom Doorley in today's Irish Times gives a new (and by the looks of things reasonably priced!) place called Il Fornaio in Custom House Square a good write up for their authentic pizza, pasta and coffee etc.

brodiebabe said:
Good pizza in Eamon Dorans, very authentic New York style, they shipped in an oven from the states to cook them in. A huge slice costs about 4 yo yos.

Italy would have been handier surely? :)

Anybody know which pizzerias in Dublin have wood burning ovens? I think that Cafe Topolis in Parliament Street does but I can't think of any others offhand. Mind you Topolis went downhill a few years back and I stopped going but I think it's changed hands and has definitely had a renovation since then so perhaps it's back on form?

Had a really nice Pizza last night in Pistachios, new italian restaurant in Clondalkin. Their Tiramisu is also beautiful. Its expensive enough, but nice.

Clubman,

From Rome.
...I thought wood burning ovens were banned over here, carcinogenic or something.
Prices for food here are ridiculous, also the quality is dire, hate those dutch imported tomatoes and peppers, they look like child toys not food.

Extopia: true, in Italy Pizza tends to be different depending on the region you're in. In Naples it tends to be thick and spongy, in Rome thin and crispy...never had American Pizza, not in a hurry either.

Thanks for that wavejumper - just nosey. Now, are you Lazio or Roma? ;) I'm pretty sure that at least Cafe Topolis has a wood burning oven. I remember the first (?) wood burning oven pizzeria opening in Temple Bar years ago just before the place was completely redeveloped but I can't remember the name. Their pizzas were lovely too. I think there's a sushi bar on the same site now. Like pasta pizza should be difficult to screw up but so many places seem to manage it all the same. I liked the Sicilian approach to food - local, seasonal, fresh ingredients and no fannying about with them, just keeping it simple. The same sort of thing that happens all across Europe where specific people/cultures place some importance/value on what they actually ingest/imbibe!

Salutti ragazzi!

The pizzas in Cafe Gertrudes in Temple Bar are yummy - nice thin base and a range of gorgeous toppings. I would highly recommend their vegetarian one :)

Gotham Cafe off Grafton Street do nice ones too, albeit a tad on the pricey side.

I know I'm going against the general feeling here, but; I have never been that impressed by Da Pinos - I prefer the flickering candles and "verging on being shabby" atmosphere that you get in Cafe Topolis!

Noor77 said:
I prefer the flickering candles and "verging on being shabby" atmosphere that you get in Cafe Topolis!

I thought it didn't look that different since they did it up whenever I passed by and had a peep in! ;)

Forgot to say that the one time I was in Café, Bar, Deli on South Great George's Street, Dubin 2 the pizzas were lovely.

popped in that Fornaio in IFSC, saw this guy eating a pizza that looked like a sea of oil and cheese with pepperoni floating on top, the take away sandwiches looked better.

Back