Jim Langan's furniture gone bust

I sent an email to NCA 2 days ago and they said that there's nothing we can do but wait. It's crazy & very unfair. I can't see how it's legal that JL haven't even released a statement. Needless to say I am VERY reluctant to put ANY deposit down anywhere now.

Hi - I am also out of pocket by 500 euro. I drove up to the Carrickmines store yesterday evening (1st April) and the fake "closed due to electrical fault" sign is still up there on the window - with no other sign of anything.

I cant believe they still havent filed for liquidation? I spoke to the son of a lady who worked in Carrickmines a week ago - and seemingly they took in something like 1.7 million euro between Stephens Day and the day they closed - and lets face it, most of that stuff probably wasnt delivered - so I think they have a legal case to answer here.....

Is it worth filing a complaint with the Fraud squad maybe? What they have done is taken peoples money - and disappeared into thin air? Am definitely considering that. The CRO dont care anyway, I rang them.

I cant believe we have no rights!
Am so annoyed still ...............

BTW I just emailed the Garda Press Office - [email protected] - to see what their position is on this type of thing, so no harm if a few of us do ....

I bought two couches in Dec and like others kept getting the delivery date pushed back. Luckily enough I had paid by visa and on hearing the news on Joe Duffy I sent off for charge back immediately, I've just checked my AIB banking online and all the money has been returned. Best of luck to everyone.

Hi rapresponse,

It that true that you got your money back from AIB? I also called their Charge Back department and they told me I have to wait for appointment of liquidator.
Where did you sent your claim to?

Is it worth filing a complaint with the Fraud squad maybe? What they have done is taken peoples money - and disappeared into thin air? Am definitely considering that
You should be contacting ODCE and asking them if there is a case of fraudulent trading here.

The CRO dont care anyway, I rang them.
I dont agree with that statement. In terms of filing requirements, Jim Langan Furniture Value Limited are up to date ( apart from the liquidations documents, but nobody knows what is happening in that case and the CRO do not have the powers to go out and tell somebody to file liquidation documents) The ODCE are the body that were givin the powers of investigation of corporate fraud and then prosecuting if needs be.

Hi rapresponse,

It that true that you got your money back from AIB? I also called their Charge Back department and they told me I have to wait for appointment of liquidator.
Where did you sent your claim to?

It is true I got my money back. I spoke to a couple of different people in the chargeback dept so one person told me to send evidence of JL liquidation, along with a copy of my receipt and a letter outlining my predicament. As evidence I sent a copy of this [broken link removed] article. I sent it to somewhere in Sandyford, if you phone AIB Visa they can give you the exact address. Goodluck with it.

I cant believe they still havent filed for liquidation? I spoke to the son of a lady who worked in Carrickmines a week ago - and seemingly they took in something like 1.7 million euro between Stephens Day and the day they closed - and lets face it, most of that stuff probably wasnt delivered - so I think they have a legal case to answer here.....

I doubt if someone who worked in the store had this information & I would guess the son has exagerated just a little. If any store took in €1.7m in 6 weeks, they certainly would not be out of business.

Another scenario could be that they have ceased trading and have no tangible assets and therefore are awiting a third party (e.g creditor) to apply for liquidation - this may not happen as the third party would have to pay the costs of liquidation.

All in all there should be some sort of statement (even I'm surprised at the length this has gone on) - somebody could go to the cro website and obtain the last ldged accounts which would give details of the auditors and ask them for a statment. The cost is 2.50 per document.

Regarding the CRO, all their accounts are up to date and their next filing deadline is not until end of June (6 months after accounts end date) - so the CRO cannot legally do anything whatsoever.

However as ronan c says, the ODCE is where the letters should be sent to , its the only avenue I see open failing any news over the next couple of days. - BTW written letter is best as it leaves a paper trail and it has a better chance of an answer than e-mail / phone.

Ive been informed that have been appointed liquidators for Langans and that there will be a creditors meeting on the 27th of this month. Further information should be in newspapers shortly.

Im not aware if any venue has been decided, who will be there or what will be discussed so no point in asking.

I bought two couches in Dec and like others kept getting the delivery date pushed back. Luckily enough I had paid by visa and on hearing the news on Joe Duffy I sent off for charge back immediately, I've just checked my AIB banking online and all the money has been returned. Best of luck to everyone.
did aib make any contact with you about chargeback since you sent in your letter??i sent mine bout 2 weeks ago now same as yourself copy of receipt, irish times article etc and havent heard anything at all to even say the received the letter!

Ive been informed that have been appointed liquidators for Langans and that there will be a creditors meeting on the 27th of this month. Further information should be in newspapers shortly.

Im not aware if any venue has been decided, who will be there or what will be discussed so no point in asking.

Assuming this is correct, here's how it works

Friel stafford are appointed by Jim Langan Furnitre Value ltd as provisional liquidators. They prepare a creditors list and write to each creditor & place adverts in the papers giving details of creditors meeting.

With your letter you will get a proxy form - if you do not want the company's choice of liquidator then you must look to see what other liquiator is looking to take this - kavanagh fennell & co are tigers in this field and will be looking to take this, - if the value of the creditors oposing the company appointed liquidators is in excess of those in favour, then the floor's liquidator is appointed.

At the meeting, the directors or solicitors for the directors will give a statement and answer questions from the floor.

The letter you get from the liquidator will show you very quickly whether or not you'll get anything out of the liquidation.

Finally a liquidation takes about 2 years in total from start to finish.

I doubt if someone who worked in the store had this information & I would guess the son has exagerated just a little. If any store took in €1.7m in 6 weeks, they certainly would not be out of business.

Another scenario could be that they have ceased trading and have no tangible assets and therefore are awiting a third party (e.g creditor) to apply for liquidation - this may not happen as the third party would have to pay the costs of liquidation.

All in all there should be some sort of statement (even I'm surprised at the length this has gone on) - somebody could go to the cro website and obtain the last ldged accounts which would give details of the auditors and ask them for a statment. The cost is 2.50 per document.

Regarding the CRO, all their accounts are up to date and their next filing deadline is not until end of June (6 months after accounts end date) - so the CRO cannot legally do anything whatsoever.

However as ronan c says, the ODCE is where the letters should be sent to , its the only avenue I see open failing any news over the next couple of days. - BTW written letter is best as it leaves a paper trail and it has a better chance of an answer than e-mail / phone.

Hi Macaul, unless I am looking at another company, your information is incorrect - this company is not up to date with the CRO. Their last Accounts were to April 2007 (from memory) with their last Annual Return either 31/01/2008. They are late with their return and CRO will have written to them advising them of this.

I have already downloaded the Accounts filed with the CRO. The Auditors were KMPG and I telephoned them and they did not know what was happening. CRO had written to the Directors (about their late Annual Return) This happens much quicker when the Company had been previously struck off as this one has.

This is one where there has been a lot going on behind the scenes on this one. The Liquidator has a duty of care to report if there has been reckless trading to the ODCE and this may lead to a prosection for the Directors of Jim Langan Furniture Value Limited.

It will be interesting to see who has appointed the Liquidator, Directors or third party, my opinion would concur with one of MacCauls scenarios, that the Directors may have been sitting back waiting for someone else to appoint a Liquidator, though we will have to wait and see.

Personally, I would not be too quick to appoint another Liquidator - wait and see what the state of play is regarding the assets of the Company. It has been my experience on these type of things that feelings are running high as people have lost money. This often leads to the blame game. I have seen people ranting and raving at these meetings with no real purpose until they run out of steam. Then and only then is the real question -what are the assets of the company expected to realise - and will I get my money back?

The last accounts showed a charge over the property of the company by Bank of Scotland Ireland, which does not appear to be satisfied. Accounts indicate a loan (with a personal guarantee by Mr. Langan) it will be interesting to see what else is left.

Once the Liquidator has been confirmed (if it is Friel Stafford) or anyone else, I would write to them advising them that I am a creditor of Jim Langan's. I would ensure that I am on the list of creditors, because, no offence, I dont know how accurate the books of JL's are.

Hi MandaC
Just to say thank you for all your helpful posts, for someone like myself who is pretty green in this area your information has been invaluable and I keep a regular check on this site. Unfortunately I did leave a cash deposit so all is not good for me. Vamos a ver manana es otra dia,,,, Speedy

Hi Macaul, unless I am looking at another company, your information is incorrect - this company is not up to date with the CRO. Their last Accounts were to April 2007 (from memory) with their last Annual Return either 31/01/2008. They are late with their return and CRO will have written to them advising them of this.

B1C ANNUAL RETURN - GENERAL

B1 ANNUAL RETURN

Registered

10/06/2008

31/01/2008

Yes
19/06/2008​

Seems they submitted sveral documents together last year. The cro scanned hem in order that they were sent in so the 2007 accounts appear to be the last accounts filed, but the document lodged before the 2007 accounts are the 2008 accounts. -

IMO, this will be an interesting case for business students to follow, as an example of how NOT to run a business.

B1C ANNUAL RETURN - GENERAL

B1 ANNUAL RETURN

Registered

10/06/2008

31/01/2008

Yes
19/06/2008​

Seems they submitted sveral documents together last year. The cro scanned hem in order that they were sent in so the 2007 accounts appear to be the last accounts filed, but the document lodged before the 2007 accounts are the 2008 accounts. -

IMO, this will be an interesting case for business students to follow, as an example of how NOT to run a business.

Definitely something strange.

Under that submission number, I can see the 2008 return and 2007 Accounts.
I cant see any 2008 Accounts? Are they attached to the 2007 Accounts? They did not need to submit them at the time (they are only due from this January and I would be surprised if they did lodge them, or even had them completed at that stage.)

They submitted approx. 5 documents together on 10th of June 2008. All of these are registered on 19th June 2008. That is why 19th of June appears on the searches. The reason for submitting these together at the time was that the company was struck off for non filing and had to bring their filings up to date.

I can see :
B1 effective January 2007
Accounts Effective April 2006
B1 effective January 2008
Accounts effective April 2007
H1 effective 1/6/2008

My searches mirror what CRO have - that they should have filed their 2009 return in January 2009 (together with April 2008 Accounts, so they do not have until June to file anything.

Am I still missing something?

MandaC, you are correct.

The NARD is 31/01/2009. Last B1 filed was dated 31/01/2008 with accounts dated 30/04/2007.

They are now late in filing the 2009 annual return

i just got a letter from Visa asking for 'Proof that i attempted to resolve the dispute with the merchant'

did anyone else get this and how do i provide that??? I attached the notice from the paper that they had closed and i cant contact the merchant to get into a dispute with him!!

any ideas??

fair point!! It just seemed like a daft thing to ask for.... I was hoping someone else was asked for the same thing and resolved it with something. I guess Ill just ring Visa tommorow and ask what they would suggest. From previous threads listed it seems that they have paid some claims so they must accept the situation.

Back