Jim Langan's furniture gone bust

if thats the way it has be done then fine but that store still took money from customers right up to the day it shut its doors and since that day no one has been able to make contact with any member of that company yet they still posted a note on the window of liffey valley telling customers to ring the customer service number for information.if its all confidential then fine but why tell people to call the number if there is no one to answer it and if there were someone to answer it that person could tell you nothing.. dont get me wrong i understand s%^t happens and places close down but i think given that they took my hard earned cash i have the right to be angry and i have th right to some sort of explanation its over a week ago now and not so much as a courtesy statement from them.

if thats the way it has be done then fine but that store still took money from customers right up to the day it shut its doors and since that day no one has been able to make contact with any member of that company yet they still posted a note on the window of liffey valley telling customers to ring the customer service number for information.if its all confidential then fine but why tell people to call the number if there is no one to answer it and if there were someone to answer it that person could tell you nothing.. dont get me wrong i understand s%^t happens and places close down but i think given that they took my hard earned cash i have the right to be angry and i have th right to some sort of explanation its over a week ago now and not so much as a courtesy statement from them.

But its good to know haow it works - then you can vent your frustration at the right time & place which will probably get you more satisfaction.

Also as a creditor you have rights. You can make a report of fraudelent trading to the liquidator if you have information that supports this. You are also entitled to a copy of the liquidators creditors report, both the initial findings and the conclusion (takes up to 2 years).

Thankfully company law in Ireland is quite strict and if it is proven that the company traded whilst insolvent & knew that they were insolvent, then criminal proceedings are brought against the directors. - The ODCE has teeth and likes to use those teeth regularly.!

Did anyone get to speak with Customer Services for Jim Langangs and if so what were you told? My furniture was due next week, if i go get another sofa im afraid they will ring me saying its in stock....

Fortunately we paid for the deposit by CC. Spoke with CC company who will start the charge back process once the (extended) delivery date has elapsed. Now I'm also aware from this thread of the time limits associated with such charge backs.

I suppose the question I have is what if our delivery was actually in stock, is it still possible to purchase (obviously no come backs etc) from the liquidator even if we charged back, as I don't want to wait on the liquidator due to the above time constraints?

Its just that the piece of furniture was idea for our purpose and at a good price.

Thanks

S.

How long is it going to be before a liquidator is appointed? It's been weeks since they've closed their stores and I have €2k on the line... It's very unfair of them to keep us in the dark with no real information.
Does anybody have any ideas? Can they drag it out for months before we are able to talk to any representative at all?

I'm the same we have 1,000 cash to chase, we might have no chance of ever getting it, but I'm not letting it go. We are now trying to scrape up money to get our table, chairs etc again, we even have to get some on the never never because they took the last of our money! I definitely wont give up without getting some kind of money back off Jim Langan, what they did was really bad form. i know at least 10 people who were taken for 500 euro or over and mostly cash, god knows how many people they really got money from. Any word on who the liquidator is yet?

There seems to be no word on liquidator yet, just checked company print out and Jim Langans is still noted as normal which is not correct as they have closed down.. Its awful what has happened, and no one seems to be helping to sort the problem out in any respect as no one answering phones or letters or e-mails its a joke.. Has anyone any other reliable places where you could buy sofas??

I got a gorgeous Italian sofa in January from Kingsbury Furniture in Tallaght, I find them great to deal with, have never had the usual waiting delays etc. that you get with other places and they've good quality stuff in my opinion.

ive given up waiting on a liquidator to be named ive sent my letter to visa for a charge back on my card.i was hoping that they would announce something and that i might get my furniture but there are only so many days i can wait before the time limit is up for a chargeback.its annoying as the stuff i had ordered was perfect and i hadnt seen anything like it anywhere else :mad:

can anyone explain the time limits on the chargeback scheme ? I've rang the BOI twice and they have never mentioned a time limit

im told that there is usually a time limit of 60 days to have a chargeback on a visa card but in situations such as this one it is extended to 120 days from the date the transaction was made.im with aib and thats what ive been told anyway boi might be different

Anybody have a clue what's going on, surely at this stage a liquidator should have been appointed, if not where's our money, we seem to be left in limbo.

There is still no update with the Companies Registration Office about the appointment of a Liquidator. CRO will be writing to the Directors of Jim Langan Furniture Value Limited advising them that they are in breach of their duties by non filing of Annual Returns/Accounts. That is all they can do at this stage.

You could log a complaint to ODCE about possible trading whilst insolvent, but this would be difficult to prove without seeing recent accounts as the accounts filed with the Companies Office are way out of date( 2007).

When a Liquidator is eventually appointed, he will take stock of everything and then see if that is actually the case.

This one is going to run for some time, folks, and I would advise anyone who has paid money by Credit Card that this looks like your best course of action to get your money back.

If I find out any further information, I will update here.

im told that there is usually a time limit of 60 days to have a chargeback on a visa card but in situations such as this one it is extended to 120 days from the date the transaction was made.im with aib and thats what ive been told anyway boi might be different

I bought from Jim L on visa and therefore have made my claim against visa and from talking to them so far it looks like my claim may be successful (I won't know for sure for 30 days from claim submission which is still about 2 weeks away). The chargeback facility against which I am claiming is normally 60 days but AIB Visa have extended this to 120 in this case - I'm not sure on what grounds they've made this extension but they have. So if you bought using visa then get your claims in now - ring your visa company (number on the back of the card) and they'll tell you exactly what to submit. My claim is significant at almost 2k so if I can get it back then I don't see why anyone else who bought on visa shouldn't.
For those who paid cash or cash equivalent I'm sorry I can't help as I don't know anything about this area (and don't want to guess).

has anyone heard anything yet about a liquidator?the company status is still "normal" on the cro website.the langan website is gone no answer on their phones.advice was that they have 15 days to file papers about their liquidation id say they've had their 15 days by now!!its a disgrace that there has been nothing from that company since they shut their doors!!!!

There will be a lot going on behind the scenes with this.

Yes, they have 15 days to file the Liquidation forms, but until they are filed the status is deemed normal. The CRO cant just act on heresay. There has been nothing official from the Directors/Shareholders, so the CRO are waiting for this. All they can do at the minute is advise the Directors that they have not filed their Annual Return.

Who exactly is going to appoint a Liquidator?

Initially, it looked like the Directors wanted to go into Members Voluntary Liquidation, but that looks highly unlikely now.

I would think it will be left to one of the suppliers or the Bank, or even Revenue to get the ball rolling.

Chargeback is definitely the best option for those who can avail of it.

has anyone received a call from someone claiming to work for a supplier in blanchardstown stating that they will be able to deliver the goods you ordered? ive been told of this happening in the last week or so, this fella calls with all your details,what you ordered,amount paid etc etc.he claims to work for this company but refuses to leave a contact number.the suppliers in question know nothing about this!a bit suss!!they do have similar stock to that of langans on their website. they dont deal directly with the public but will tell you your nearest stockists.

has anybody heard ANYTHING about langans or from their cc company about chargebacks yet? still waiting to hear from aib about mine:confused:

Back