Israel attacks aid ship

There was no Famine in Ireland in the 1840's. To suggest that it was a Famine leads people to believe that there was a shortage of food in the country. There was no shortage of Food in Ireland in the 1840's. There was an abundance of food in the 1840's.
There was however a Genocide in Ireland in the 1840's by the inaction of government(British) to distribute this abundance of food to the people who had none.

Almost a Final solution.

Read the last answer here, he says it better than I could. The facts just don't back up your theory. Life is complex and simplistic views usually don't stand up to scrutiny with the truth being somewhere is the middle, between both extremes.

"I have often said, and written, it is Famine which must consume them (the Irish); our swords and other endeavours work not that speedy effect which is expected, for their overthrow"

- Lord Deputy of Ireland Sir Arthur Chichester in a letter to Lord Burghley, Queen Elizabeth's chief adviser, in 1601

The Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, the Earl of Clarendon wrote a letter to Prime Minister Russell on April 26th, 1849, expressing his feelings about lack of aid from the British House of Commons:
"I do not think there is another legislature in Europe that would disregard such suffering as now exists in the west of Ireland, or coldly persist in a policy of extermination."

"I have often said, and written, it is Famine which must consume them (the Irish); our swords and other endeavours work not that speedy effect which is expected, for their overthrow"

- Lord Deputy of Ireland Sir Arthur Chichester in a letter to Lord Burghley, Queen Elizabeth's chief adviser, in 1601

The Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, the Earl of Clarendon wrote a letter to Prime Minister Russell on April 26th, 1849, expressing his feelings about lack of aid from the British House of Commons:
"I do not think there is another legislature in Europe that would disregard such suffering as now exists in the west of Ireland, or coldly persist in a policy of extermination."

So Naillers, you think that the English and French etc are a bunch of vile and immoral people and the Irish are somehow morally righteous? That seems to be the gist of many of the posts here. I propose that we simply lacked the opportunity and means to oppress others. I base that on a belief that people are broadly the same around the world and it’s only social conditioning and circumstance that varies.

BTW, the food that was exported to Britain during the famine was exported by Irish people and the division was not between the English and the Irish, it was between Catholics and Protestants.

+1. It's been said that without the Scots and Irish, Britain would never had it's empire as we help them capture the jewel in the crown - India.

What a difference the attitude of those on board makes.

The MV Rachel Corrie got boarded by the IDF and is now on the way to Ashdod from where the aid is going to Gaza.

"The ship has been boarded and there was full compliance from the crew and passengers on board," the spokeswoman said.

If the militants on board of the Miva Marmra would have shown the same co-operation nobody would have gotten hurt.

I congratulate both the people on the Rachel Corrie and the IDF to have this done peacefully and most certainly the political point of those on the Rachel Corrie has been made. They refused an offered deal made by the Israeli PM but when the blockade was enforced they did not use violence.

Those kind of actions I can support, but not those of the militants on board of the Miva Marmra and the blunders of the IDF in trying to seize the ship.

The MV Rachel Corrie got boarded by the IDF and is now on the way to Ashdod from where the aid is going to Gaza.

"The ship has been boarded and there was full compliance from the crew and passengers on board," the spokeswoman said.

If the militants on board of the Miva Marmra would have shown the same co-operation nobody would have gotten hurt.

I congratulate both the people on the Rachel Corrie and the IDF to have this done peacefully and most certainly the political point of those on the Rachel Corrie has been made. They refused an offered deal made by the Israeli PM but when the blockade was enforced they did not use violence.

Those kind of actions I can support, but not those of the militants on board of the Miva Marmra and the blunders of the IDF in trying to seize the ship.

Israel has no right to board the ship and take people to a country where they did not intend to go. If anybody was on a ship and it was boarded by pirates in the dead of night then it is only normal that people would defend themselves from attack..

If a thief/rapist/murderer broke into your house a 4 am in the morning would you defend yourself or would you say help yourself.

..... so a PR coup for Isreal then it appears - just let them board on international waters and do what they like If any other nation did this I'm sure you wouldn't think the same

Israel has no right to board the ship and take people to a country where they did not intend to go. If anybody was on a ship and it was boarded by priates in the dead of night then it is only normal that people would defend themselves from attack..
So when the IRA was smuggling gund into Ireland to kill women and children you would have opposed a boarding of a suspect ship while it was in international waters?

If a thief/rapist/murderer broke into your house a 4 am in the morning would you defend yourself or would you say help yourself.
If there was a history of thiefs/rapists/murderers breaking into your house by passing through your neighbours land and he did nothing to stop it would you therefore stop people from crossing his land to get to yours?

If the IRA were smuggling guns into Ireland I wouldn't expect the British to punish the entire country becuase of it. That is what the Israelis are doing. They're blanket puinishing the entire Gaza strip for the actions of extremists.

Purple, If Sinn Fein were the ruling party in Ireland and the IRA kicked off again. Would you think it ok that the country was blocked by the British from receiving, paper, cement, toys, herbs and kept to a point where you were more concerened about where your next meal was going to come from than your freedom.

It's all aimed at keeping the Palastinians to a low point and to break their will.

The abused has become the abuser.

If the IRA were smuggling guns into Ireland I wouldn't expect the British to punish the entire country becuase of it. That is what the Israelis are doing. They're blanket puinishing the entire Gaza strip for the actions of extremists.

Purple, If Sinn Fein were the ruling party in Ireland and the IRA kicked off again. Would you think it ok that the country was blocked by the British from receiving, paper, cement, toys, herbs and kept to a point where you were more concerened about where your next meal was going to come from than your freedom.

It's all aimed at keeping the Palastinians to a low point and to break their will.

The abused has become the abuser.
great post

Come on Purple, your arguments are good enough that you don't have to resort to quoting a muppet like Ian O'Doherty! The guy is an idiot of the highest order. You might as well have used Brendan O'Connor!

Doesn't take away from the fact that the idots of both LBGT and Labourites support Hamas.

No, but I wouldn't think it unreasonable for them to check shipments to make sure that was all that was coming in.
Look, Israel doesn’t cover itself in glory in how it behaves and the Palestinians are in a deplorable state but Israel didn’t create the current situation and it doesn’t cause its continuation. It reacts, often in a very heavy handed way, to the actions of others.
Those who find the plight of the Palestinian people unacceptable you should direct your ire at Hamas, Jordan (historically), Syria and Egypt. Remember the Palestinians have always been a football for the rest of the Arab would, they weren’t let in to the Arab League for decades, and are still treated deplorably in other Arab countries, the ones that are let in that is.

Why was it 'Okay' for the British army to bring guns into Ireland, but not the IRA?

In much the same way as the Kuwaitis that fought against the invading Iraqi army were freedom fighters but the IRA who fought against the British invaders were called terrorists. This is not answering your question - just an analogy.

I'm so, so sick and tired of the State of Israel and it's gung-ho, 'screw you' attitude to the rest of the world that I just wish it would vanish up it's own bum-hole. We'd all sleep better at night.

You've got to take a look at who armed them to the teeth. And the reasons for so doing. And while you're at it, check out the Jewish connections to the USA/Brit media. And if you're really bonkers, read why they regard these actions as a Divine right - in the sacred book (available in all good newsagents).

from here.
Earlier, Swedish dockworkers will launch a weeklong blockade of Israeli ships and goods arriving in the Nordic nation to protest Monday's attack on a Gaza-destined aid lotilla.

Swedish Port Workers Union spokesman Peter Annerback says workers will refuse to handle Israeli goods and ships during the June 15-24 blockade. The union has some 1,500 members and supports Ship to Gaza, which took part in the flotilla.

+1. It's been said that without the Scots and Irish, Britain would never had it's empire as we help them capture the jewel in the crown - India.

To our "Ireland had a empire" crew, I said in the very first post on this point that Irish may not be intrinsically any better than any others but, as the kid psychology shows say "England & France aren't bold, they just did bold things". Ireland, for a variety of reasons, didn't. Fact.

So while we coulda/shoulda/woulda, we didn't. Not as a state (having none) nor in any meaningful collective way.

Arguments to the contrary appear to me to be classic Aunt <anatomy part> Uncle.

To our "Ireland had a empire" crew, I said in the very first post on this point that Irish may not be intrinsically any better than any others but, as the kid psychology shows say "England & France aren't bold, they just did bold things". Ireland, for a variety of reasons, didn't. Fact.

So while we coulda/shoulda/woulda, we didn't. Not as a state (having none) nor in any meaningful collective way.

Arguments to the contrary appear to me to be classic Aunt <anatomy part> Uncle.

Right, so while we were part of the UK we participated actively in empire building but once we got our independence we got to forget about all that. Kind of like a child saying "Game over!... New game!" BTW, I never suggested that Ireland had an empire, I really don't understand where you got that from. I simply pointed out that we were part of the UK and the UK had an empire.
Your thesis seems to be that actions by Irish people before 1922 don't count because we were ruled from London.
It's a nice idea but the reality is just a little bit more complex than that.

Back