Israel attacks aid ship

Betsy Og

Now I'm no anti-semite, and have only fleeting knowledge of Middle Eastern politics, but I think it disgraceful that aid ships are being prevented from getting through to Gaza. One of these ships left from Ireland. I've heard no suggestion that there's anything on board except civilian aid.

So whats the excuse?, where does "collective punishment" end, do they want to maximise suffering or what?, and what will be the response of the EU and UN.?? I think its time Israel stopped upping the ante, by all means take out individual terrorists, but punishing a nation is not on :mad:

You might not be anti-semitic but you are about to be accused of it. You can't criticise Israel.

Very interesting reading about it this morning. Check out the various European media outlets against the US media reporting of the same incident. Really is amazing.

You might not be anti-semitic but you are about to be accused of it. You can't criticise Israel.

Very interesting reading about it this morning. Check out the various European media outlets against the US media reporting of the same incident. Really is amazing.

Of course you can criticise, I personally think sometimes there's a jump to always blame Israel irrespective of provocation. I don't agree with it being anti-Semitic though whenever that is used in some small circles (funnily enough though it isn't used by the larger Jewish populations), in the same way that criticising Zimbabwe and Mugabee doesn't make me racist. But, there are times when Israel's crimes gain massive media attention, but not so much those committed against Israel.

My own opinion in general on this issue is that anyone who adamantly blames one side for all ills/supports one side's actions on a black and white fashion clearly doesn't understand the whole mess there. No side is entirely innocent in this.

However, having said that, in this case all criticism is justified. It's a disgrace and that's all there is to it. The blockade is illegal, the action took place in international waters, it just doesn't get any more of a criminal act.

There's already some questioning of the intentions of those aboard the ships, given that it is suggested some high profile passengers pulled out last minute which may imply some foreknowledge, but that's irrelevant and is from the kind of sources you'd expect that nonsense to derive from.

Not saying you can't criticise but it is only a matter of time before the the anti-semitism card gets played. Happens every time the actions of Israel gets discussed.

Be interesting to see how this one plays out. Israel are their own worst enemy sometimes. They better hope there were weapons (and I don't mean one or two handguns or a few knives) on that ship.

Check out the various European media outlets against the US media reporting of the same incident. Really is amazing.

+1 Sunny. I had Sky digital on this morning to listen to Morning Ireland. I turned over to Fox after 8.15ish. They had that useless Oliver North war chronicles on. The ticker at the bottom of the screen had chatter about the Isreali embassy in Turkey being under attack. Very little about the killing of people in international waters.

Not saying you can't criticise but it is only a matter of time before the the anti-semitism card gets played. Happens every time the actions of Israel gets discussed.

Be interesting to see how this one plays out. Israel are their own worst enemy sometimes. They better hope there were weapons (and I don't mean one or two handguns or a few knives) on that ship.

True, but it's a very difficult one. In my opinion some criticism I see is unjustified and is based upon anti-semitism, but my main point was that it tends not to be the larger Jewish population that play this card.

I agree on the last point, if that was the reason for the action, then we should know pretty soon whether or not there's anything there.

Israel should consider this. If there wasn't an illegal blockade of 1.5 million people then there wouldn't have been any need for a flotilla of boats carrying aid. But of course they won't consider it. The zionist war machine kills first and asks questions later.

My own opinion in general on this issue is that anyone who adamantly blames one side for all ills/supports one side's actions on a black and white fashion clearly doesn't understand the whole mess there. No side is entirely innocent in this.

Yes, but one side is way more guilty/evil than the other.

Israel should consider this. If there wasn't an illegal blockade of 1.5 million people then there wouldn't have been any need for a flotilla of boats carrying aid. But of course they won't consider it. The zionist war machine kills first and asks questions later.

It's Egypt who are maintaining the blockade. Gaza is part of Egypt that was abandoned by them in recent years. Why do people criticise Israel for not allowing convoys into a place that wants them wiped off the face of the earth, but Egypt gets no criticism for a blockade of their own people?

it's egypt who are maintaining the blockade. Gaza is part of egypt that was abandoned by them in recent years. Why do people criticise israel for not allowing convoys into a place that wants them wiped off the face of the earth, but egypt gets no criticism for a blockade of their own people?

+1

The Zionist war machine kills first and asks questions later.

That's the sort of simplistic mindless rhetoric that gets people called anti-Israeli. If the "Zionist War Machine" killed first and asked questions later they would have just wiped Gaza off the face of the earth.

My criticism of Israel is that they never apologise for their screw-ups. They never come out and say "Yes, our soldiers panicked and completely over-reacted and now people are dead who shouldn't be." The same holds true when their soldiers shoot civilians at checkpoints (even when they are children on their way to school). Because of this there is a shadow cast over all of their actions.

The flottila was warned last week not to attempt to cross the blockade.
And they tried it anyway
Maybe they thought the IDF would do nothing. But they was always going to be a reaction.

My criticism of Israel is that they never apologise for their screw-ups. They never come out and say "Yes, our soldiers panicked and completely over-reacted and now people are dead who shouldn't be." The same holds true when their soldiers shoot civilians at checkpoints (even when they are children on their way to school). Because of this there is a shadow cast over all of their actions.

Fair point. Like I said, they are their own worst enemy at times.

The flottila was warned last week not to attempt to cross the blockade.
And they tried it anyway
Maybe they though the IDF would do nothing. But they was always going to be a reaction.

I don't see Red Cross ships trying to cross the blockade.

Sorry but that is no defence. The ship was in international waters. It was piracy and murder.

That's the sort of simplistic mindless rhetoric that gets people called anti-Israeli. If the "Zionist War Machine" killed first and asked questions later they would have just wiped Gaza off the face of the earth.
I'd stay they've had a damn good crack at it. Not much of Gaza left as it is.

I'd stay they've had a damn good crack at it. Not much of Gaza left as it is.

That's not just Israels fault. The people have been betrayed by their own leaders for decades. As mentioned above, Eygpt and the other Arab States carry some of the blame and so does the International Community in general.

That's not just Israels fault. The people have been betrayed by their own leaders for decades. As mentioned above, Eygpt and the other Arab States carry some of the blame and so does the International Community in general.
Agree with that.

Back