'heavy metal' appreciation?

By the way

Not strictly 'metal', but I would urge anyone who has not already done so, to check out 'Nantucket Sleighride' by Mountain!

Mostly, it's a southern rock kind of thing (a bit dull generally) but, it unexpectedly does one of the most exciting 'things' you'll ever hear in rock - and it does it twice!!

(people of a certain vintage might associate this 'thing' with Sunday morning hungover channel hopping by the way ;) )

I just checked out a live version on youtube - not sure what you're refering to there - is it the billy jean/stones thing?

Don't know what you mean by the Billy Jean/Stones reference :confused:

But what I'm talking about is the sudden speeding up/rock out bit.
(It was used as the theme tune to ITV's 'Weekend World' with Brian Walden on Sunday mornings - early to mid 80s)

- check the original studio version if you can as they maybe mess around
with it live!

Free & legit. album download available on www.supermetal.net

Band is Monsterworks? Don't know them & haven't tried the download yet.
They are supposed to be quite melodic but with death metal vocals I think.

Last edited:
Caveat, thats actually pretty good - loads of "big" production going on there. It's quite a mix up of styles going on - grungy, snappy guitar at times. Nephilim vocals mixed with high pitched screams. Its quite bizarre actually. I like it - going through my first listen at the moment.
Theres even some Vai type guitar solos in spots too.
I like the story for each tune too - read along - a lot of effort went in here. Any ideas about them? Never heard of them before now.

So I presume no-one managed to get any Led Zep tickets then?

Plenty of rumours though that the forthcoming gig will be far from their last...

No Zep tix for me, sadly. Despite great efforts. :(

There's one rumour that they're going to tour with The Cure next year, but there's also talk that one of the Cure were at Zep rehearsals & said a few unkind words about their performance to a music paper, which has caused some grief! I think a lot will depend on how the band percieve & the public react to the O2 performance.

Still, I was lucky enough to see both Knebworth gigs in the mid 70's. Words can't describe how good both those days were.

Actually just found this thread, can't believe I missed it earlier - anyway, here's a quick run-through of some of the best metal/heavy rock bands I've seen over the years, in no real order:

Zeppelin - the ultimate rock band.
AC/DC - a few times, always great live
Sabbath - absolutely awesome in their heyday
Saxon - better live than on record
Krokus - always had a soft spot for them, not entirely sure why
Wishbone Ash - just brilliant
Uriah Heep - as above
Montrose - very powerful, some great songs
Hawkwind - excellent, especially live

Listen to caveat - seek out Mountain's Nantucket Sleighride!
caveat - Uriah Heep & Wishbone Ash await you!

There's one rumour that they're going to tour with The Cure next year

I actually heard it was The Cult - which might make a bit more sense.

Now it's Wishbone Ash eh? Jeez I've a lot of buying to do...

Nothing to a man of your means! :D
And start with Argus.

Definetely was The Cure in the thing I read about the rehearsals, but let's face it- ifthey DO decide to tour, they could name their price for just about anyone to play support!

best gigs ever

ACDC - point depot, the one they recorded for the live album, around 1990 gotta be number 1 of all times gigs.

then probably
Megadeth - Olympic ballroom (87-88?)
Metallica - Top Hat 87-88 as well AFAIR, what a venue that was!!!

Have ye booked yere tickets for Iron Maiden in Twickenham next July??

Its perfect for the golden oldie fans, a revisit of the years to 1988 - easily their golden period. www.ironmaiden.com

Keep an eye out for the DVD of Live After Death due out in February,

Scrrrrrrreeeam for me Askaboutmoney !!!! (Long Beach) :D

Ahhhhh Live after Death - one of the best live albums ever recorded FACT! :p

The intro with Churchill's "Fight them on the beachs" speech is spine tingling even to this day.....and the guitar playing is unbelievable!

I reckon they'll add some European festival dates to the tour so I'll get to see them yet again!

I'd consider them again if it was 'oldies' -saw them in The Point this time last year & was a bit disappointed with them only playing the new album. Even the encores were unusual. Good though the latest album is, their older stuff is still way better I think.

I loved Somewhere in time - even though loads of fans hated it - different sound but some class tunes. The long distance runner - love it!

I loved Somewhere in time - even though loads of fans hated it - different sound but some class tunes. The long distance runner - love it!

It's possibly my favourite Maiden album. I was only listening to it this morning on my iPod.

Almost forgot about that one "Time is always on my siiii-iiiide!"

Although I like the Bruce albums, really, my favourite is Killers. But it doesn't sound the same with Bruce singing them.

Back