'heavy metal' appreciation?

Never saw Rage or Megadeth live.

Have you heard of those Led Zep cover girls Lez Zepplin - playing tomorrow night in town somewhere - Temple Bar i think. Lovely looking ladies playing lovely sounding rock songs. Thinking of heading along.

It's all very well for you lucky Dublin based metallers...

...To me, it has the intensity but not the drama, the aggression but not the atmosphere etc - even the likes of Slayer had some light and shade.

I don't see any of the inclusive theatricality I would associate with 'old' metal...

You should try a little Tool!!! Take a look at some of the videos on Youtube.

Tool - Undertow is the album i'd go for - real crunchy, tight stuff. Very much like Helmet who i prefer way more - in the meantime is about as good as it gets.

Was at the Lez last night - they were absolutley astounding. Not the biggest crowd ever but those there got into it in a big way. Some of the best musicianship i've seen in a long time.

Was at the Lez last night - they were absolutley astounding. Not the biggest crowd ever but those there got into it in a big way. Some of the best musicianship i've seen in a long time.

sounds good - did they follow the same format as Zep or was the singer also playing a bit of guitar? Interested as I've always found that Zep tributes find it necessary to augment their sound - any unusual song choices?

And what about Black Sabbath? No mention yet! That's where it really all started interms of truly heavy metal (sludgy heaving riffs, liberal use of that horror movie music staple: the ominous 'tritone') certainly the most influential of all metal bands and even one of the most influential bands period.

Will be checking out Tool and maybe Helmet this weekend - what about The Deftones? I remember hearing White Pony and liking it but have heard that everything else isn't nearly as good

Yeah, they were great - usual sort of format i guess. Guitarist had a couple of different ones - a les paul, an acoustic and some funny sort of semi electric. I couldnt make out what it was. Bass player had a mandolin also and a really cool keyboard with that old Zep sound. Hammond(ish)? Drummer was something special altogether - she was truly a master at her trade. And along with the bass it made for some rythm section.
Dont think there were any real surprises with the song selection. Opened up with immigrant song which rocked! Finished off with whole lotta love. In the middle they played everything you'd expect. Dazed and confused with the bow was class! No stairway which is kinda cool in a nerdy way. Still, i'd like to have heard it.

Black Sabbath - war pigs on in the car couple of weeks back. Read a great book about them last year. How black was our sabbath - its by 2 of the road crew - a real insight! i'd highly recommend it.

I dont know the deftones - will try the 'tube' for a sample later.

So guys

Anyone see 'The Seven Ages of Rock' then?

Thought it was alright - a bit disappointing to be honest. Some never seen before footage (at least not by me) and Ozzy & Geezer are always fun - I know they can't include everything in 1 hour ( and I believe the absence of Zeppelin is being addressed in a forthcoming 'stadium rock' edition) but...

Judas priest? :confused:

C'mon!! Maybe I'm alone but I can't believe so much was devoted to these jokers. If they were included purely on the arrival of the 'twin guitar melodic attack' thing, then why not Thin Lizzy who were much more influential, criticially acclaimed and successful?

The title 'stadium rock' almost sends shivers down my spine but I'm hoping at least some wrongs will be righted!

I agree-Al oad of bona fide Metal bands were shamefully omitted..having a show about heavy metal and not including AC/DC is a bit like having a show about football and not mentioning Brazil!

d

I'd wager that AC/DC will be on next sat in the arena/stadium rock episode. If not, the producers should be shot.
As for Judas Priest - ha! Give me a break.
Watched the last two shows (punk and metal) with the sister who wouldnt be a fan as such and she thought both episodes were very good and reasonably informative.
Of course, with our superior knowledge its very easy to pick holes!!

Who saw the stadium rock edition then?

Forgot all about it myself - I presume the likes of Bruce and U2 fall under 'stadium' but please tell me Zeppelin, AC/DC and others were included - if only for completion sake - as personally I'd regard the description 'stadium' as bordering on derogatory.

Was it any good anyway?

I missed it too! Was on the beer. But saw an ad for it after last weeks episode. All i saw included was Zeppelin. Hopefully someone on here saw it.

I meant to watch it but then forgot all about it. At least the festival season is starting - yay!!

Re: unable to open attachment

Unfortunately Dr, can't view file (insufficient privileges?)

So obviously I'm now really intrigued...
Let me put you out of your misery, Caveat... :D

[broken link removed]

Sorry about the attachments problem; didn't realise 'ordinary' posters couldn't see these!

Thanks Dr

My first glimpse then into the inner sanctum ;)

[broken link removed][broken link removed][broken link removed][broken link removed][broken link removed][broken link removed][broken link removed][broken link removed][broken link removed][broken link removed]

Feel the love... ;)

('tain't the Inner Sanctum, just http://imageshack.us...)

gotta tell you folks this all brings back mostly great memories of the headbanging and biking years.i spent a few years in london '85 to '90 best years ever,monsters of rock in donnington was my highlight ozzy,scorpions,motorhead,all my faves in one spot.would love to have seen thin lizzy.only two i want to see are ac/dc and metallica.have to say i cannot warm to this new rock or metal whatever it is but i suppose a lot of people didnt like 'heavy metal'either.gotta go and look at some old kerrang magazines now that im in the mood

Back