'heavy metal' appreciation?

SOD eh? That was 'sergeant D is coming and you're on his list' ?
Lovely and 'crunchy' if I remember

On 'Nu metal' I'd have to say no thanks.

I think some of it chugs and grinds along acceptably enough but I just think it's so relentless. To me, it has the intensity but not the drama, the aggression but not the atmosphere etc - even the likes of Slayer had some light and shade.

I don't see any of the inclusive theatricality I would associate with 'old' metal - I detect a 'cooler than thou' standoffishness with these bands. maybe my own prejudices here, but i don't like the personalities involved either - I think there's a brattish/jock element there & I get the distinct impression that some of these guys would just as soon be cruising in their pimped up rides and intimidating local geeks as making music.

Is that very unfair?

Anyway, as long as we have old troopers like Maiden, AC/DC, even Queensryche, I won't complain ;)

Last edited:
Queensryche? NOOOOOOOOO! I hated them! I wonder would i still.
Sergeant D - you're right there. Crunchy as anything.

Good program on bbc2 last sat 9pm - history of music - they're doing it by eras and sat was punk - this sat coming is......you guessed it!
HEAVY METAL!

Good program on bbc2 last sat 9pm - history of music - they're doing it by eras and sat was punk - this sat coming is......you guessed it!
HEAVY METAL!

Nice one - I'l look out for that.

Think Queensryche suffered a lot from bad timing - it was the height of thrash and suddenly these guys ponced in with their 'traditional' operatic vocals, concept albums and coiffeured look - but 'Operation Mindcrime' is excellent - well worth a reappraisal elefantfresh - not that heavy but melodically unusual/interesting etc

Go on - get it and let us know - I dare you - probably get it for under €10;)

I was never into Queensryche but I'd be willing to give them a go as I think I'm becoming more tolerant as I age :) (Recently I've been listening to DIO - I would never have listened as a teenager!).

Cahir - same as that! I must be mellowing as i get older. Or maybe just not such a muso.

Caveat - tried a little Queensryche on you tube - not as bad as i remember but still not really up my street.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSD40nqnpH4
Needs to rock more.

Have you guys tried Slipknot? A lot of it is just noisy but a few of their tunes really really really do rock. 'Left behind' and 'people = ...' would be two tracks to get you going. I'm sure they're on you tube somewhere. Good videos too! I love the masks. Waaaaay cooler than Kiss.

I know, I don't appreciate heavy metal, and I don't think heavy metals will appreciate!

Maybe I should start another music based but ambiguous thread: 'Rock Stagnation' anyone?

Metallica could be in that one!

Oooh controversial! ;)

Maybe I should take some of my own advice guys and try both Dio and Slipknot again - wasn't impressed first time round though.

Have kind of neglected metal in recent years for other guitar bands on the fringes (e.g Queens of the Stone Age, Muse) so that's it Dio, Deep Purple and Rainbow are coming out tonight and Slipknot will be investigated!

Oooh controversial! ;)

Maybe I should take some of my own advice guys and try both Dio and Slipknot again - wasn't impressed first time round though.

Have kind of neglected metal in recent years for other guitar bands on the fringes (e.g Queens of the Stone Age, Muse) so that's it Dio, Deep Purple and Rainbow are coming out tonight and Slipknot will be investigated!

I went to see Deep Purple in the Point a few years ago - I'm ashamed but I loved it!! My other shameful secret is seeing Whitesnake not once but twice :)

I've seen slipknot a couple of times at festivals but didn't really have any feelings about them either way.

Muse - supurb - saw them in The Olympia 4-5 years ago. The lead guy is one talented musician.
And i had Deep Purple on in the car yesterday on my way home from work!
'my woman from tokyooooo'
Nobody mentioned Rage Against The Machine yet.

or Megadeth !!!

Have to admit, I still haven't found a band to come close to the original Rock Gods.... Zeppelin !!!!! 4 utter geniuses in the one band...never to be repeated imo...

Rage Against the Machine were a great live band! Megadeth will always be one of my favourites. Couldn't get a ticket for this years gig but I've seen them about 6 times already so I don't mind too much.

Sometimes I wish I was 16 again - paying about £15 for a concert ticket, going to Fibbers and getting hammered on two snakebites - ahh, the memories!

Never saw Rage or Megadeth live.

Have you heard of those Led Zep cover girls Lez Zepplin - playing tomorrow night in town somewhere - Temple Bar i think. Lovely looking ladies playing lovely sounding rock songs. Thinking of heading along.

Back