Brighten up a home office

And the fake fur is gone so good now you'd never know - I seen some lovely leopardy cushions the other week. Like being on safari!

I don't know, this thread is great! I'm so excited, all this safari talk an all, makes me want to go on holidays.

wow - vanilla you missed your calling

Now lads have a look at this - I know it's a bit simple but picture it with Christmas lights!!!

[broken link removed]

or this - I mean come on - makes we want to redecorate - my place seems so tacky now!!

[broken link removed]

Last edited:
Ah Ney001, please stop it, with all this excitement I won't be able to eat me dinner when I get home! The old credit card is going to get a hammering this evening (I want an RGB cube, a moose's head....

Lads I'm going to have to go down the chipper now to get the tea but before I go I'll leave you with another idea- animal prints. Like it or love it?
I dunno, what do animal prints taste like with chips? Ah go on then, and 2 battered burgers as well.

Hey youse, Dis is the best thread ever! youse are all so creative. Did youse know youse just need to get some mdf and you can make anyting you want out of it like they do on da telly. It shakes a bit when they use it on da telly but dat just adds character to it. You cud have a nautical theme like you could get a fishtank so you'd have some nature in the room and fill it with coloured plastic fish to save you having to feed them (dats a good tip for the budgeting section of this site too). I wouldn't bother myself with the real plants cause the plastic ones are really natural looking and they never die (dats another good tip for the budgeting section). Have a bright yellow lampshade so it wud look like the sun. Then take up carpet or wooden floors and cover the floor with sand and than put clear perspex on it and then you'd be at the seaside while you work. I can't take da credit for the floor idea cause I saw it on da telly.

Last edited:
While I dont think Id mind the beach effect, Im not so sure my leather office chair I got for 50e in argos would wheel very well on the sand. ;)

Maybe something from the world of although lets not turn this into an xmas pressie thread.

I'll take some pics tomorrow and get painting over the weekend.
(he said with best intentions)

You paid 50 squid for a chair when you could have just glued some wheels onto any ole chair to have a wheelie chair ya mad thing :)

Ah don't mind him Carpenter. I'd say he's an oul fella. No offence Bob, but you're not exactly with it. Tacky is it? That's a laugh. Sure some of them light up pictures are black 'n white and you can't tell me that's not classy.

Well if 26 is classed as an oulfella. I just dont like pictures or framed art to have lights on them. Its a matter of opinion and taste and not everyone is gonna be the same. Some will like your ideas, some will love them and some wont.

Those other lights are cool. My mate has a smaller version of the mirror with all the lights around it. Its class.

I forgot one of the best ideas. You need to get a picture of a 'view' and stick it up on your window so everytime you look you have a fab view. If you don't have a window you could just put it up anyway and put a curtain at each side so it would LOOK like a window with a view if ya get me. It would be massive!!!

Well if 26 is classed as an oulfella. I just dont like pictures or framed art to have lights on them. Its a matter of opinion and taste and not everyone is gonna be the same. Some will like your ideas, some will love them and some wont.

Those other lights are cool. My mate has a smaller version of the mirror with all the lights around it. Its class.

OMG, lads I just had to come on and tell youse dis- I just seen a photostory with Jordan and in one of de pictures she was in dis room with one o dem light up pictures on the wall!! I was like, no way! Bet you feel a bit silly now Bob, huh?

Anyways I been reading all the replies and I'm like totally impressed. I love that idea of the fish room PM1234- and that window idea is just fabo.

And Ney and Eanair you two are totally with it (BTW whered you see them leopardy cushions?).

And Carpenter I only seen that idea about the tudor effect room now- I couldnt believe it cos I taught it was only brilliant an idea- I can just picture it now- fake beams on the ceilings and I seen a roller in Heatons that gives a fake wood effect on walls, datd be cool too. Dunno what you mean by naff cushions tho, is that some kinda material or wha?

I just seen that this thread has been moved to shooting the breeze. Like I totally understand why= it's because of Bobs' comments obviously but it's a bit unfair on anyone looking for real design ideas for an office cos there are some really great ideas ( like not just mine now). I think this should be moved back to homes etc with Bobs posts deleted and made a sticky or key post.:p

Dunno what you mean by naff cushions tho, is that some kinda material or wha?

No, I meant animal print of course ( I know that's your idea, I wish i'd thought of it first, lucky you). I think you've really come up with some great ideas there Vanilla, you must be one classy bird. My missus is goin to pick up that roller in Heatons tomorrow; I think I might go with her and see what other ideas I can pick up for free (it costs nothing to look around but you can learn sooo much!). Have we left anything out, we seem to have covered the essentials (walls, floor, ceiling, window dressings, furniture etc)? I won't be able to sleep tonight, roll on the weekend so I can get stuck into transforming the home office into my very own "safari/ tudor/ beach themed "personalised office space". I can picture it now, wish me luck guys I've a busy weekend ahead of me. Now lets see, what'll I need:

1 tonne of soft sand
200ft of 2x1" battens (roughsawn for authentic tudor beam look)
Paint (sky colour, beam colour, stucco colour(s)
Screws and adhesive.
Sticky stars and glitter
6 yds of Zebra print
Roll of velcro
Spray adhesive
Duct tape and staple gun

Oh happy days.....

I just seen that this thread has been moved to shooting the breeze. Like I totally understand why= it's because of Bobs' comments obviously but it's a bit unfair on anyone looking for real design ideas for an office cos there are some really great ideas ( like not just mine now). I think this should be moved back to homes etc with Bobs posts deleted and made a sticky or key post.:p

Yous have a hope of dat happnn. :D

BTW car don't be tempted to get anything sensible like a phone or filing cabinet because you might be tempted to do some work and sure you lot wouldn't know what that was. Apologies for using that offensive four letter word. ;)

Vanilla you beat me to it, but you know artists have always had to suffer for their art, at least the good ones do anyway (I'm thinking Van Gogh anyway). Bob, I don't know you but I think you should take back what you said, or at least reconsider- there's some bloody great stuff here, it should be in a book or a magazine at least.

Yous have a hope of dat happnn. :D

BTW car don't be tempted to get anything sensible like a phone or filing cabinet because you might be tempted to do some work and sure you lot wouldn't know what that was. Apologies for using that offensive four letter word. ;)

I wouldn't bother with a filing cabinet, they take up an awful lot of room; take an old shoe box and wrap it in your favourite animal print instead ( I like Zebra) , it's perfect for storing your catalogue statements and old receipts etc. It feels nice and furry as well, whereas an old steel filing cabinet is quite cold to the touch.

I second the idea of the sticky key post cause this thread is like inspirational. Ornaments and plenty of 'em bring a lovely personal touch to any room. The more the better like. You could stick up a few shelves with the mdf. Go to the car boot sales like Vanilla says and if you keep collecting them you could earn a fortune on da telly shows where they look around your gaff for your valuables and sell your treasures for ya and ya get to go on da telly too.

If ya want to feel like you have a bit of company in the room or you'd like to bring the outside into da room you could start with a few and arrange them (tastefully mind) all around da room and like on the window sill. Put some on the outside so da neighbours can enjoy them too.

lads i couldn't sleep last night I was having so many ideas about what to do - but it has been mentioned that this is an office so with that in mind what about this:

[broken link removed]

Vanilla, this baby is for you - a classy lady needs classy accessories and as you'll see from description it's super coolness married with extreme ease of use - I couldn't agree more!.

[broken link removed]

Carpenter for times of stress in your office - can't beat bubbles

[broken link removed] and finally just to make sure you don't work too hard and god forbid past 5 O'Clock - this is a must have

[broken link removed]

Bob the slob, I don't mean to be unkind but perhaps you might benefit from some interior decorating classes?, although I have to say you either have taste or you don't and well ...............

Although, perhaps if you pm vanilla she might be kind enough to talk you through the basics - although after her performance on this thread I have a feeling she'll be much in demand!

Bob, I don't know you but I think you should take back what you said, or at least reconsider- there's some bloody great stuff here, it should be in a book or a magazine at least.

Why what did I say outta line? It was only my opinion so I aint gonna take it back. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I stated mine. You're ideas are good but they are just not my taste, I'd be less art attack more minimalistic.

Why what did I say outta line? It was only my opinion so I aint gonna take it back. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I stated mine. You're ideas are good but they are just not my taste, I'd be less art attack more minimalistic.

Bob, minimalism is sooo yesterday; people now spend so much time at their pc, at home or work that they need to personalize their workspace. Each to their own Bob, you can keep your white/ stainless steel sterile workspace, me- I want colour, texture, expression and above all zebra print coupled with tudor/ rustic detail (tactile, luxurious finishes are the new way).

Anyway, Ney you've got some pretty cool stuff there, how much do they charge for shipping?

Anyway, Ney you've got some pretty cool stuff there, how much do they charge for shipping?

Carpenter, you can't put a price on taste! however I've picked out a number of items for myself, for example a light up necklace which glows with the heat of your body so I would be willing to split shipping charges? - anyone else interested?, we might get a discount for bulk ordering?? - Bob the slob have a look at the website I'm sure you'll find something that you'd like!

Back