Brighten up a home office

Carpenter - how about a darker colour and stick-on glow-in-the-dark stars? Would they be ok? I'm driven mad looking for ideas for my new place - I only wish I had Vanilla and ney's flair for design.

Aw shucks!:eek: I'm all embarrassed now. But like as I said to Tracey I gets a lot of ideas from the telly- changing rooms and the like. And that idea of the stars is class!

He's a bit of alright ennit? Honest to god, thought he was gay meself until I saw he was married to a fine wan.

Well I think the fact that all the other posters agree with me speaks for itself. :p

I have always hated them maybe because I have yet to see a nice one. Every plug in picture I seen just look so cheesey and tacky that I wouldnt even ahng them up if they were for free.

Ah don't mind him Carpenter. I'd say he's an oul fella. No offence Bob, but you're not exactly with it. Tacky is it? That's a laugh. Sure some of them light up pictures are black 'n white and you can't tell me that's not classy.

I have always hated them maybe because I have yet to see a nice one. Every plug in picture I seen just look so cheesey and tacky that I wouldnt even ahng them up if they were for free.

How can you say that! - I think anything with neon lights or fibre optics just adds a magical touch to a room - when you can combine lights and fake plants then you've hit the jackpot - pure class!!!!

Maybe you just haven't seen the picture that I am willing to donate - you have to see it to appreciate it - have a look

[broken link removed]

Carpenter - how about a darker colour and stick-on glow-in-the-dark stars? Would they be ok? I'm driven mad looking for ideas for my new place - I only wish I had Vanilla and ney's flair for design.

That should be alright, but be aware of the following: "Care should be taken to ensure that a build up of combustible paints does not reduce the classification of any wall or ceiling lining"- extract from Part B. Bearing this in mind it might be wise to limit the number of stars (and their size) you stick to the ceiling.

Have fun.

Cheers Carpenter! I'm away on a hack now!

Car - get yourself a water cooler for the office. It'll be like on the telly -

Ah don't mind him Carpenter. I'd say he's an oul fella. No offence Bob, but you're not exactly with it. Tacky is it? That's a laugh. Sure some of them light up pictures are black 'n white and you can't tell me that's not classy.
Not to worry Vanilla, I'm not too easily offended. I prefer those "singing fish" type pictures myself, but I respect that most people prefer the "light pictures". On a more serious note though it is important to select the correct type of wall fixing as some of those pictures can be very heavy, probably best to frame out the wall with some timber battens to ensure you get a good grounds. You could develop this as part of the decor perhaps? Fix battens at 600mm centres and paint them a different color (would that be Tudor style?) and paint the alternating vertical bands of plaster in different colurs, themed to match your accessories. Might be a bit fussy though, I suppose it would depend on the size of the room , it might be overpowering in a small room, decisions, decisions...

I think anything from this website should definitely brighten up any office - hey vanilla is that girl you by any chance??

[broken link removed]

I think anything from this website should definitely brighten up any office - hey vanilla is that girl you by any chance??

[broken link removed]

Wow, cool! There's so much great stuff onda net! I think i'm going into interior design overload here, please help :eek:

Ooh! Shiny! Want one!

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

Last edited:
Wow, cool! There's so much great stuff onda net! I think i'm going into interior design overload here, please help :eek:

carpenter I know it's a lot to take in but really there's only one rule with home decorating - DON'T BE TACKY!:D

Lads I'm going to have to go down the chipper now to get the tea but before I go I'll leave you with another idea- animal prints. Like it or love it?;)

Animal prints is only brilliant. Like bringing the outside in only without all the fresh air and that rubbish. And the fake fur is gone so good now you'd never know - I seen some lovely leopardy cushions the other week. Like being on safari!

Lads I'm going to have to go down the chipper now to get the tea but before I go I'll leave you with another idea- animal prints. Like it or love it?;)
Vanilla, I love animal prints, especially Zebra, not sure sure about polar bear though. You can buy pretty naff animal print car seat covers, cut them down and with some basic sewing skills make some beautiful accessories for the home office- I'm thinking: animal print covered waste paper basket, coffee mug cosy etc. Enjoy your tea.

Back