Brighten up a home office

car

Any suggestions to brighten up my home office. I reorganised furniture, hung a couple of pics but feel its missing something.
Any particular plants that work better then others? Should I hang a planter from the ceiling or put a couple of potted ones in the corner?

How about a few posters of David Hasselhoff or Pamela Anderson depending on your taste. Personally I always feel a nice wallpaper border works wonders- and perhaps some paint effects on the wall also. A very large stereo system with massive shiny speakers continually blasting Chris de Burgh ( or if you want to be really cool Daniel O'Donnell) will really liven things up. For plants I love the old spider plants and oh yeah- christmas cactus. That reminds me- Christmas is coming up soon so a load of tinsel ( and mistletoe- oh the fun you can have with that), glittery baubles and lots of things that make music ( you know, singing reindeers, moving santa clauses and the like) will be fantastic, and no need to wait either. Plus a few christmas lights outside the window would look great.

Now if you are impressed by my interior design skills no need to be intimidated- I have to admit I have done a class in interior design at my local evening classes. ;)

Now if you are impressed by my interior design skills no need to be intimidated- I have to admit I have done a class in interior design at my local evening classes.
Just had a great image of a class of eagerly listening adult pupils being taught how to put up shiny stereo speakers that are belting out lady in red while teacher puts up a 5 foot Hoff picture. :). Sign me up!!!!

Ah hold on there- the hasselhoff poster was my own idea. The lady giving the classes was more inclined to suggest a few canvasses here and there, like original art work from art students or the like. Sure dem students have no idea. Can you imagine?:eek:

I said to Tracey ( she was sitting next to me) that yer one had no idea and Tracy was dead in agreement. She said I should do me own class.

Any suggestions to brighten up my home office. I reorganised furniture, hung a couple of pics but feel its missing something.
Any particular plants that work better then others? Should I hang a planter from the ceiling or put a couple of potted ones in the corner?

Buy a large free standing plant or two if you prefer (buy it in a garden centre or nursery more variety and cheaper), maybe paint it or paint two opposite walls to match the current colour to jazz up the room a bit. Buy a nice rug for the floor. Buy a small cactus for your desk (good for the elecro magnetic radiation from the comp screen). Think colour, add colour to the office maybe fresh flowers or artificial ones. Stick up a shelf with a plant and a few books, magazines, etc. Or buy a bookcase and put that there. Buy a nice painting for the wall, or buy a nice framed poster for the wall (an inspirational one like, courage, chellenge, etc). Add any qualifications you have, frame them and put them on the wall. Stick up a few framed photos of loved ones etc. Stick a picture of somewhere you always dreamed of going on holidays (good for motivation lol)

Just some ideas for you. :)

Buy a large free standing plant or two if you prefer (buy it in a garden centre or nursery more variety and cheaper), maybe paint it or paint two opposite walls to match the current colour to jazz up the room a bit. Buy a nice rug for the floor. Buy a small cactus for your desk (good for the elecro magnetic radiation from the comp screen). Think colour, add colour to the office maybe fresh flowers or artificial ones. Stick up a shelf with a plant and a few books, magazines, etc. Or buy a bookcase and put that there. Buy a nice painting for the wall, or buy a nice framed poster for the wall (an inspirational one like, courage, chellenge, etc). Add any qualifications you have, frame them and put them on the wall. Stick up a few framed photos of loved ones etc. Stick a picture of somewhere you always dreamed of going on holidays (good for motivation lol)

Just some ideas for you. :)

Ah sure he might as well be in an old folks home if he goes with that plan. Listen Car, I've decorated my own gaff and loads of people comment on it. It's only fab. You can pick up fantastic stuff at Car Boot Sales and markets and the like too. I seen a gorgeous picture in the ARgos catalogue of Bratz but get this- it lights up! I kid you not. It'd be gorgeous. And like if you weren't into Bratz ( let's face it every one is though) you could take out the Bratz picture and put another picture in front and it'd still light up. And in my local pound shop they have this lovely pink fur on a roll and you could put it around your desk, or your computer ( I done it around mine and put little sticky shiny balls in intervals) and it's really individual. This next idea now is really a one off- you can get these foam ceiling tiles that are self adhesive- they only come in really boring colours but you can get a can of spray paint in a couple of colours. My tip is to spray them before you stick them on the ceiling though ( I stuck mine up before I thought of that but you can hardly see the bits where I ran into the next tile). You could go for really bright colours like pink or purple. Or I thought of spraying them all blue and then adding clouds on top with like cotton wool glued on, that'd be really cool, like. Oh yeah and you can get these really cool stickers for your windows too- the more the merrier I say!

And lads now please, remember the OP wants to brighten the place up so no more rubbish ideas, okay?

Hey we were given a picture by the inlaws when we moved into new house, it's Frank Sinatra, Marilyn Monroe and co playing pool, you plug it in and their cigarettes, glasses and the pool table light up!!

I'll be hard pushed to get rid of this item as I'm very very attached to it but if it's for the greater good then I am willing to part with it- anything to help a fellow aamer and nothing says class more than a plug-in picture!

I seen a gorgeous picture in the ARgos catalogue of Bratz but get this- it lights up! I kid you not. It'd be gorgeous.

Ive already got it!!! And the bratz canope over the bed that lights up. Of course Im sticking with the story its in my bratz obsessed daughters room....

I had one idea already, Id never get it up the stairs though...Vanilla, if I run with the multicolor I'll post a shot and give you credit. I had been running with the idea of giving the kids free reign with the paints after listening to [broken link removed] anyway.

just a quick thing that I've learned the hard way - don't buy real plants - they die if you don't water them!

Something like this is much easier to care for and provides a talking point!

just a quick thing that I've learned the hard way - don't buy real plants - they die if you don't water them!

Something like this is much easier to care for and provides a talking point!

Ah is it yourself Sharon? I didn't know youse had a computer in the caravan! No wonder we are on the same wavelength, sure we're cousins. And here was me going to suggest:

[broken link removed]

But to be honest I think you nailed it. Nai, not bad like, but it don't light up do it? Also like the world is round, so if you don't got a round wall it wouldnt look the thing, I'd say. Still I've got a great idea for brightening it up- you could get them dolls - you know the wans with the traditional dress for each country and stick them on their country, and then you could have the rest of the room on the same theme. Like with the american flag as a wall hanging on anther wall, and a cuckoo clock ( dats from Sweden) and for Ireland you could have a tiger ( or maybe have some leopard print in the curtains- same ting) which is in the news all de time. Sure you could have a fantastic themed room altogether with dat idea.

This next idea now is really a one off- you can get these foam ceiling tiles that are self adhesive- they only come in really boring colours but you can get a can of spray paint in a couple of colours. My tip is to spray them before you stick them on the ceiling though ( I stuck mine up before I thought of that but you can hardly see the bits where I ran into the next tile). You could go for really bright colours like pink or purple. Or I thought of spraying them all blue and then adding clouds on top with like cotton wool glued on, that'd be really cool, like.
I'd like to caution that the above idea may constitute a fire risk (I've got my technical hat on now), as these ceiling tiles are unlikely to have the requisite resistance to surface spread of flame, as detailed in Appendix A of Part B of the Irish building Regulations 2006. Pity that, I thought that was a neat idea (that's with my interior design hat firmly back on)....

Ah sure he might as well be in an old folks home if he goes with that plan. Listen Car, I've decorated my own gaff and loads of people comment on it. It's only fab. You can pick up fantastic stuff at Car Boot Sales and markets and the like too. I seen a gorgeous picture in the ARgos catalogue of Bratz but get this- it lights up! I kid you not. It'd be gorgeous. And like if you weren't into Bratz ( let's face it every one is though) you could take out the Bratz picture and put another picture in front and it'd still light up. And in my local pound shop they have this lovely pink fur on a roll and you could put it around your desk, or your computer ( I done it around mine and put little sticky shiny balls in intervals) and it's really individual. This next idea now is really a one off- you can get these foam ceiling tiles that are self adhesive- they only come in really boring colours but you can get a can of spray paint in a couple of colours. My tip is to spray them before you stick them on the ceiling though ( I stuck mine up before I thought of that but you can hardly see the bits where I ran into the next tile). You could go for really bright colours like pink or purple. Or I thought of spraying them all blue and then adding clouds on top with like cotton wool glued on, that'd be really cool, like. Oh yeah and you can get these really cool stickers for your windows too- the more the merrier I say!

And lads now please, remember the OP wants to brighten the place up so no more rubbish ideas, okay?

you gotta be kidding Vanilla? Sounds more like 6 year old barbie room than an office lol each to their own I suppose but I:'d prefer to keep an office a bit more formal than pink fur and glitter balls

I hate plug in pictures, they scream tackiness all over the place.

you gotta be kidding Vanilla? Sounds more like 6 year old barbie room than an office lol each to their own I suppose but I:'d prefer to keep an office a bit more formal than pink fur and glitter balls

I disagree.

Plug in pictures are da best....I have one in every room in my trailer...Don't youse all have dem?

Well I think the fact that all the other posters agree with me speaks for itself. :p

I'd like to caution that the above idea may constitute a fire risk

Carpenter - how about a darker colour and stick-on glow-in-the-dark stars? Would they be ok? I'm driven mad looking for ideas for my new place - I only wish I had Vanilla and ney's flair for design.

Back