Key Post Attic - Flooring.

Re: fitting loft ladder and flooring loft

It was a Dolle, cost €120, cost of installation €170 to include changing pane of glass in garage door, fitting of gauge on oil tank and coving in the sitting room. Money very well spent. This lad did it on his own but I would genuinely think you would need to know what you're doing. You need to be 100% accurate when you're cutting out so if you're a bit like me and always off the mark, get someone in to do it.

Best of luck :)

Attic floor

I want to convert attic in a couple of years but in mean time we want to put our treadmill up there so we can use it in peace away from kids, first Q if I put down the normal chip board you can get in B&Q for attics will this be strong enough for using a treadmill on, Q2 I have in mind that I will convert in a few yrs time with help of family so would I do the floor so that it is done once and for all and what would you suggest thanks

Re: Attic floor

Hi dodo,

As far as I'm aware what you are recommending would not work. The present joists with normal chipboard would not take the weight of a treadmill and IMHO you would probably land up in the bedroom but I'm sure some of our resident experts can confirm this.

just wondering we are using at the moment in the box room, if I used something more solid than chip board say 4x2s with exsisting joists would that be strong enough, are you saying with an attic conversion they replace exsisting floor joists which look quite solid ,

I've recently purchased a new house in which the builder has floored out the attic with a product called Smartply OSB board. Might do the job for ya!!

As Sueellen has suggested it's not simply a case of what type of flooring you put down on your ceiling joists. In all likelihood the existing ceiling joists were never designed to function as floor joists and will be unable to accommodate the significant dead load (from a heavy treadmill) and the live loads of people stomping around in the attic space, regardless of what type of flooring you put down. There are no half measures when it comes to attic conversions- if you intend on converting your roof space you will need to get planning permission and have the work designed by a competent person (architect or engineer) as the regulations in relation to roof ventilation, height of habitable spaces, fire safety and structural considerations are onerous. I wouldn't try and skimp on this one.

Are those chipboard panels sturdy enough for general walking around on? I was planning on doing it myself, just to avoid clambering around on the beams when I'm bringing boxes up and down.

18mm (3/4") chipboard is okay for joists at up to 600mm centres, provided it's only for light storage and occassional access. Shuttering grade ply is the next best bet at around €22 a sheet-this will give you a stronger floor that wont sag over time (chipboard will sag over time , especially if there is any moisture in the air).

Re: Key Post: Attic - Flooring.

In the process of re-insulating the attic myself.

I am not discarding the old insulation but puuting it on top if the new stuff I am laying - I reckon its better to have the new insulation as the first layer rather then the now flattened (old) insulation. BTW B&Q have a deal on Knauf attic insulation (170mm) rolls - 2 for 1 (€44.99 a roll). Might end this week though.

With regard to the flooring - Smiths Builders Providers on the Greenhills Road (Walkinstown) have some cheeky 3/4" 'Smart' Ply which is an OSB 3 board (suitable for flooring and heavy weight) which is tongue and grooved - € 10 euro for an 8'x2' sheet - does the job very well and its not chipboard which finbar rightly pointed out as getting ruined if it gets wet.

44/roll of insulation is crazy. Brooks are charging around 25-30/roll at the minute for 160mm. Of course if its 2 for 1 its decnt value but not as good as you might think

can anyone recommend someone in naas/ kildare/ west dublin area who can do this for me? Want attic floored, doesn't have to be it all and a folding stairs put into it. Roughly how much am i talking about to get it done?

With the advertising rules, the best i can do is to give you an insight so as your not ripped off.
A guide to flooring would be approx €2.50 per square foot, but you would only need a section floored as its generally just storage. Ladders would be again approx €120 fitted and new hatch door mounted , nothing fancy just practical. Hope that helps.

nobody on this thread concerning attic flooring seems to have taken in to consideration the weight of additional flooring.
I would like to know why no one has suggested tongue and groove flooring.
It is relatively light has some natural insulation value and is easily got into a loftspace,although one may have to shorten long lengths.
Also having had to remove chipboard flooring which was bending joists I hope I never have to do it again,it is a menace.

Re: >>Flooring an attic

If chipboard flooring gets wet its ruined, I used plywood which came in 2ft by 8 ft sheets tongue and groove 9 euro a sheet. It fits up through the hatch , I screwed them down to the latts using a power screw driver.

I just read through these old posts and this is a quote from the very first one .....

Betsy Clark

Re: >>Flooring an attic

I just read through these old posts and this is a quote from the very first one .....

Betsy Clark

Hi Betsy,

Whatever about JR it certainly wasn't Sue Ellen who did that job. When the key posts were brought over from the previous forum board they were converted to some of the moderator's names because we had edited/updated them at different times.

Oh I see - I just did a "Quote" and deleted all the other stuff I didn't want to quote, so it does look like SueEllen did it ...... sorry.

Betsy

Back