Key Post Attic - Flooring.

Re: fitting loft ladder and flooring loft

I have bought a two section aluminium loft ladder from B&Q for about €47. It entails converting the loft hatch into a pull-down trapdoor which is better in my situation as the existing opening is 750mm square. The only downside is the loft hatch will not be insulated. Any ideas on how to insulate it?

I have wondered about this in the past myself, but looking at the Dolle website, they seem to sandwich a layer of polystyrene between two layers of wood to form their insulated lid. The thickness of the polystyrene varies across the models, but the thickest that I saw mentioned was 50mm on the Delux range.

A framework of 50mm thick pine (or thinner if you want thinner insulation), with the insulation set into it, and all of this sandwiched by something like 6mm plywood (or even hardboard - white-faced if you want to avoid having to paint it) either side, and I would guess that should work. You will probably want extra bits of the pine inside the lid, lining up with where the ladder (and hinges?) screws to the lid, as the screws will need more than just the plywood/hardboard to hold them.

Is there any rigid insulation which could be fixed to the top side of the hatch?

Polystyrene is one option (used to be able to buy small sheets of 1" thick polystyrene in Homebase a few years ago, so it should be readily available). I don't know how it compares, in terms of its effectiveness as an insulator, with the alternatives though.

Hi Askew70,

I rang a few places and found that CLONDALKIN BUILDERS PROVIDERS LTD","Unit 4b, Oakfield Ind Est, Clondalkin Dublin 22","353 (1) 459 21 33" have two types in stock with and without handrail for approx 125/135.

At the moment a piece of fibreglass is stuck to the hatch with adhesive. I suppose I could fix this on more securely when the hatch becomes a trapdoor. Any ideas on how to fix it on properly?

The usual way to insulate a hatch is with polystryene/ polyurethane insulation glued to the back of the panel with pva or silicone.

MAJJ said:
Hi Askew70,

I rang a few places and found that CLONDALKIN BUILDERS PROVIDERS LTD","Unit 4b, Oakfield Ind Est, Clondalkin Dublin 22","353 (1) 459 21 33" have two types in stock with and without handrail for approx 125/135.

Thanks a lot for that info MAJJ.

Just a quick update: I rang Clondalkin Builders Providers a couple of weeks ago, and they quoted me 115euro for the ladder without a handrail (special offer at the time). They couldn't tell me what model the ladder was, but they gave me the code so I was able to check it - based on that code, it seems to be the Dolle Hobby Insulated ladder.

I then checked the website, that I linked to in a previous post, of the place in Dalkey that sells Dolle ladders, and found their offering of what appears to be the very same Dolle Hobby Insulated ladder [broken link removed]. Their price is 290euro.

It could be that they are two very different ladders, but from what I have been able to find out they appear to be the same.

I have a Dolle Attic Ladder stuck on the spare bedroom floor waiting to be installed, model number: 26612. It cost €120 in HomeValue Hardware, they say it's reduced from €140 at the moment. It definitely has a handrail but I don't see any on the website that do.

Planning on doing it soon(ish), lots of other jobs to do as well, haven't quite worked out the priority order yet. You looking for something in particular?
Leo

I have someone coming to fit mine since the first week of January but still no sign of him. :(

Hi Leo,
I am going to install one but I will have to saw through one joist. The roof in the house is a prefab trusses one so I am unsure of having to saw 2 feet out of a joist. I assume that professional roofladder installers do this all the time. Any advice? If I cut and brace it on either side it should be ok?

Hi Macnas, brace it well on both sides before you cut it and there shouldn't be a problem. I'm moving the location of the hatch in mine, so plan to brace all joists to be cut, then cut and remove them and drop in a frame made from 6x2s into the opening and insert the ladder into that.
Leo

Macnas, I had my attic ladder fitted on Monday. The joist had to be cut but it didn't seem to matter at all. I can't believe how well it fit in. I just had one guy doing it on his own, he cursed and swore the whole way though it but he got it done in around 2 hours.

Was it Stira? Cost of installation? I think I will do the job myself.

Back