Key Post: Attic - Windows

S

sueellen

emefox
Velux window

we are thinking of getting a velux window to add light to a landing and converted attic access. the attic has already been converted (done when we bought the property).

i have heard that they are pretty expensive to install. does anyone know what type of budget we would need to look at for one velux window fitted to the roof which is already exposed i.e. no ceiling as this was removed to extend the stairs to the converted attic.

valc1
Re: velux window

had two installed recently in converted attic. Cost just less than 2k but well worth it in terms of light flowing through. Can give you name of guy who fitted if you are interested.

Valc

teflon0
cheap Velux windows

Does anyone know how much it would cost to get a velus window fitted and supplied into a house in Dublin West. As cheap as possible for a newly converted room

cuchullain
velux windows

I cant help on this one except: I put in 3 velux windows in an extension in 1990 and by the middle of 1999 two of them were all condensed up. I rang velux and they stated that they had a 10 year guarantee and if I checked out the numbers on the windows and rang them back they would know if it was within the timeframe. Rang back and no problem. velux sent out a brochure with their new products and prices incl call-out charges etc. I contacted them again and enquired about upgrading to the next grade up ie more insulation, thicker glass etc. No problem just work out the difference. I then enquired about the 3rd window which was fine at that stage. Again could not have been more helpful no problem to change. about 2 weeks later serviceman arrived changed the three windows in 20 minutes, charged for 2 upgrades and 1 new window. stated that 10 year guarantee started again as I upgraded. Changed all three windows for about £50.
ps the problem with the two was they were in facing full sun apparantly, but according to the serviceman this problem has been sorted out.

Betsy Og
Unregistered User
Velux Vs Fakro roof windows (& cheapest velux in Limeric

cheapest Velux in general Limerick area are Morans in Castleisland, Co. Kerry (on Abbeyfeale/main Limerick rd.). They deliver also.

But I got a quote almost exactly the same as best velux quote for Fakro windows, same size, apparently better features than velux (though I'll have to see and have explained to me).

Anyone have any experience with Fakro??? I think they also make folding attic steps.

Velux are the better known brand (their brand more or less describes the general product) but anyone able to do an independent comparison??

Tadgh2004
Re: Velux Vs Fakro roof windows (& cheapest velux in Lim

Hi betsy,
Thanks for the info on FAKRO and the shop...Spoke to a guy who sells Velux in a large scale and indicated that FAKRO and other manufacturers make roof windows but the problem is that Velux have such a chunk of the market that its difficult to compete with them especially if you need replacement parts or anything at a later stage. Velux is the worldwide leader and basically resilient to all competition
Slan
Tadgh

mickeyg
Velux Windows

I am currently drawing up plans for a new dormer and am undecided whether to go with the traditional dormer style "sticky out" windows or Velux upstairs. Does anyone have information on the respective costs etc. or experiences.

Thanx,

EAMONN66
Frequent poster
velux

velux are great, not sure about the clones that you can get nowadays. i have a biggish one in the back of a dormer house which was installed at least 15 years ago and it is still good as new. if you had a choice though the sticky out ones look better in the front.

murray
Local user
velux windows

In the process of building a dormer bungalow and we have two dormer windows on one side of the house and the velux windows on the other. Price wise the 'sticky-out' dormer windows cost much more as they are quite labour intensive. However the velux windows give the room better quality of light. Hope this helps.

Attic conversion - dormer vs Velux

Am thinking of doing an attic conversion and had been thinking of a dormer. But a friend told me that dormers are notoriously leaky. I wanted it cos it gives more usable space, by which I mean more headroom. the friend also said the Velux would give more light. Now I'm confused! Anyone got opinions or experience?

Re: Attic conversion - dormer vs Velux

Velux will give more light as the window is in same plane as roof and optimises on the natural angle of daylight coming from the sun. Dormers can be dog ugly if poorly designed/ built. PVC cladding is not the prettiest and isn't "maintenance free" either, despite what they say. However a dormer may be your only bet where headroom is an issue. Problems with leaks etc. shouldn't occur if good detailing and sound building practice are followed, you could refer to the Homebond Housebuilder's Manual which gives good details for this type of construction.

If the conversion is to provide an extra bedroom bear in mind that rain on velux windows can be very noisy.

Velux Windows

Hello. Has anybody had Velux skylights installed? We are wondering what to budget for supply and fit 2 x M08's into an existing roof. The house is single story, based in North County Dublin. Many thanks.

Re: Velux Windows

Hi Kim,

How's the gardening goin? :D

I saw an [broken link removed] over the week-end that I am very interested in and had thought about posting for views on it. See they quote €550 per window.

Thanks for that Sueellen. I just called them, but the offer only applies for Stira customers (our ladder is not good enough for them!). But at least it gives us a ball part. FYI, window is 55cm x 78cm.

Garden a bit 'Wilde' these days :eek: !!

check out vista therm window makers from nenagh, roughly 15% cheaper than velux and their extras are not as expensive.

Adding Natural light

Hi all,
I have some dark downstairs rooms in my house which I wish to brighten up- Velux windows are not an option. I have read about Sky Tunnels or Solar ducts. Does anyone have any experience of these? How effective are they ?

Thanks in advance

Re: Adding Natural light

Our neighbours converted their attic and used a duct to bring natural light down from a roof Velux style window to the bathroom which had no external windows and I was impressed by the amount of light that came down through it. Worth checking them out. I presume vendors have sample models set up so you can get an idea of how they look/work?

Sunbeam do these and Velux now do a similar product (just out) which lookes better externally as well (no mushroom on the roof).

Why does the (usually small) "mushroom" bubble light on the roof matter? They're not that noticeable as far as I have seen. Or are there other reasons (e.g. possible water/heat leakage)?

i just think they're ugly. They probably don't look so bad on commercial buildings, where they have roof cowls and fans etc for company but on a domestic roof I think they look wrong. That's only my view of course. The Velux alternative however looks like an ordinary rooflight from the ground level.

Hello, with regard to Dormer Windows: my builder has advised that plastering the outside of the windows is not advisable - he says it could crack and is recommending PVC cladding. I have two dormer style windows on the front of a storey and a half type house, i don't like the look of the cladding myself and would prefer the plaster. Is the builder right about this? he will do it either way for me but has a preference for the cladding. I would prefer plaster but don't want cracks in the windows! Has anyone experience of plaster cracking on dormer windows? Thanks for any help.

we have plastered dormers and I think they are a better job. Builders would rather not have to do them as they are awkward to plaster (fun painting them too but doable!)

Would be considerably more expensive than velux, also would you have any planning difficulties with dormers? Unlikely to get objections re velux (and probably get away with it without planning if you had to - especially if out the back). Velux look best on back and dormers on front -vice versa doesnt look well IMHO.

Thanks Betsy! I am through the PP process thank goodness, and the dormers are in, it's just this finishing part now. Glad to hear you've not had any issues with them.

Re: Fakro

Just a note to anyone considering the Fakro windows

I am not impressed with the finish on our fakro roof windows, it looks like some kind of acrylic and has gone soft and milky in places in just a year (hygroscopic?). Also it is difficult to get the blinds at any kind of reasonable price.

The only reason you may get cracking externally is due to differantial movement in the substructure ie. its going to be plastered onto a timber backing because its in the roof rather than a blockwork backing (timber is more prone to shrinkage ,thermal movement etc).
However this means that the onos is on the builder to be more careful and do more prepariety work allow for shrinkage by using expanded metal over joints etc. rather than stating that it will have a propensity to crack.(ie builders first rule: introduce the fear factor!) Anyway you would only be looking at minimum hairline cracking which probably wouldnt be visible from the ground ,not large scale structural cracking (dodgy builder!)

Back