Affordable Housing-Process/Plans Cork County

Re: Affordable Housing- Cork County

Hi BB,

And did the council give you any indication what your chances are, or whether you will be called for interview? Im in for Ballincollig, and was told that i got 155 points, and that this was quite good for Ballincollig, but apparently an awful lot of people got this many points and higher. They are giving nothing away at all. I was sent a letter to send in more bank statements and so on, but I am getting really frustrated with it all. She keeps saying we will know more in the next few weeks, she doesnt really know whats happening. I certainly dont have anywhere near 45k in savings either, and i doubt many people will to be honest.

i was given no indication of whether or not i would be called, was told i will heve to wait to hear from them by post but if i had not heard anything within next couple of weeks to ring back. i was on to boi today to ask what was the banks situation on this and was told the council are dragging their heels on signing for the banks to be able to provide mortgages. i cant help but feel the council wants to make their money back from interest paid and rent that will have to paid on their equity of the houses purchased through shared ownership. i,m not really well versed in the legalities of the situation but dont think it can 100%straight as i dont feel they are giving people a fair chance to buy these homes outright as the affordable scheme was intended.

Hi BB,

With those points I reckon you will stand a good chance of getting an offer. I got 155, and the max for Ballincollig was 165. Not too sure if Im high up enough to get an offer , but Im still hopeful, as I think that there were only between 20-30 applicants for Bcollig that got between 160-165. They will then move onto the people with 155. You should try and find out cos there is nothing worse than the wait. I only found out this info as I decided to call in and pass in my statments and things they wanted off me, rather than post them. The girl on reception told me this, and she said we shoukd know more within the next 3-4 weeks. Dont even know how Im gonna last that long but I have waited almost 3.5 years so I should manage another few weeks. One question for anyone that can answer me, what is their idea of sufficient savings?? Other than a minimum of the deposit and legal fees....

Has anybody got an interview for Douglas/Carrigaline or Ballincollig? Or heard any good news?

Heard nothing as of yet. Still waiting for some news/any news!! The last time I rang I was told to wait until I hear by post regarding getting a call for an interview, maybe over the coming weeks.

guys can anyone let me know where the affordable houses are located in ballincollig i have an idea of where douglas and carrgaline are but no idea of ballincollig.

guys can anyone let me know where the affordable houses are located in ballincollig i have an idea of where douglas and carrgaline are but no idea of ballincollig.
Hi BB,

There are houses in 3 separate estates in Ballincollig. To get to Highfield Park you take a left on the Model Farm Road where there is a sign post for St. Olivers cemetary, and keep going for a bit past the cemetary and then on the left you will see the estate. There are still a lot of houses being built in there, so part of it looks like a building site. To get to Greenfields, just keep on the back road of Ballincollig, past An Caislean and its on the right. Its at the back of the original estate which is also called Greenfields. Then there are also houses in the Barracks which is in the new town centre. Have you heard anything more from the council? I presume you have also applied for Ballincollig?

yes when i rang recently hey told me i got points for douglas, carrigaline and ballincollig. i didnt realise that the amount of points varied for the 3 different areas. what road do u mean when you say the back road? what is an caislean?

yes when i rang recently hey told me i got points for douglas, carrigaline and ballincollig. i didnt realise that the amount of points varied for the 3 different areas. what road do u mean when you say the back road? what is an caislean?
Hiya,

The back road of ballincollig, this is where you avoid going through the town. An Caislean is an estate. If you find the estate called Highfields, go past that for a few yards and there is an exit onto a main road. Take a right and carry on for about a mile all the way (this is called the back road of ballincollig) and on the right you will see Greenfields. Its still a building site. You will recognise the houses as they have a wood effect on the front. Good luck in finding them!! When you say you got points for the Douglas Carrigaline & Ballincollig, is that 160 points for all 3 towns? Did they give you any more info, like when they are allocating them?

Hiya,
The last time I was on to them they gave me seperate points for Douglas+Carriagline but Im not on the list for Ballincollig. They are assesing each list seperate so I suppose some people will be on all 3 lists. They told me 2 weeks ago to ring in a few weeks and they would know exactly how many people were ahead of me. At the moment Im tryin to not think about it but it's hard. Just wish I knew wheither I stood a chance or not.

I was only asessed for Bcollig. I did ask at one time to be assessed also for Douglas but was told it was too late for this batch of houses. Im from Bcollig, son goes to school here and so on, so I would prefer to get a house here anyway. I last rang about 2 weeks ago and got no where, so havent bothered since. I got a phone call from them a few days ago just verifying a few things in my file. Trying to look at this as a positive thing, but I really dont know. Has anyone heard of anyone getting an interview?? I know exactly how you feel Saucystunner, I would love nothing more than to just know will I get a house or not. Its crazy that they cant tell us one way or another. Surely its not that complicated?

Any news anybody from the County Council? Still waiting to hear has anybody got an interview yet or heard anything at all????

I haven't heard anything or heard of anyone who got an interview.
my fingers are still crossed.

Mine are still crossed also. Did anyone find out where they are on the lists?

no not yet gona leave it another week and then see if they can tell me how many are ahead of me!

Ya, I dont feel like ringing them, I rang last about 3 weeks ago and was basically told there was no point in ringing every week as I will hear by post when Im getting an interview. She said they were going to interview everybody with 165 points first (highest for Ballincollig) then everyone with 160, and then 155 (which I have). And it goes on affordability from there. I think Im ok there, but I am sure most people with 165/160 points probably will be aswell, so I hope there will be houses left over!!! If I could even find out how many people got the highest points, Id at least have some idea where I am on the list!! They probably wouldn't tell me if I did ring them!!

i would have thought they would have at least asked people to send in financial details like bank statements and payslips. has anyone been asked to bring these in? If you were to be called for interview they would need these wouldn they? or are they doin interviews first then requesting them, because that stalls things for longer i would have thought.

I got a letter about 5 weeks ago looking for all that again. A few people I know that are being assessed for Ballincollig also got this letter. My friend who got 150 points got this letter only last week. I presume its just a standard letter going out, it said that they needed payslips, P60/21 (if not already sent in), statments, proof of savings and so on, and that they needed these things in order to assess your ability to pay back a mortgage, and that it wasnt an offer of a house, nor an indication of whether you would be called for interview. Did anybody else get this letter? Bigbum, did you see the houses in Ballincollig?

yes i saw the houses. as you said in a previous post it is stil very much like a building site i cant imagine them being given out before the estate is completely finished i would think they would be worried about potential compensation claims.

i have not received any letter asking to bring these things in. I wonder why not? i will have to ring them this afternoon.

Back