Affordable Housing-Process/Plans Cork County

Re: Affordable Housing- Cork County

Which estate was it you saw, Highfields or Greenfields? The houses in Highfields are nearly completed on the social & affordable side of the estate, these are on the left. On the right hand side of the estate they are still building the private houses. I know the keys have been handed over to the council for the affordable. In Greenfields I was told all the houses are completed, and they are currently working on the footpaths roads etc. I have no idea when they are going to be ready to be handed out. Also, I was onto a local TD, and he was saying no interviews have begun, I wonder is this correct.

i saw highfields as i drove in from main road, i didnt think these were affordable. they are nice houses. i didnt like the greenfields ones though the ones after the caislean estate on the right. i thought they looked a little too affordable these are the ones i refer to that looked like building site. why are these being called greenfields when this is another estate the one with the big arches at the entrance.

I got 110 points. Seriously low, so no real hope. Living in Western Road (City) and I'm only in Cork 4.5 years. These 2 things seemingly came against me. Did anybody else do this bad. County will probably have over 100 houses in next 2 years in Ballincollig. Supposed to be over 200 have applied

Yes Bigbum, Highfields are lovely houses, nicer than Greenfields. I think its maybe the wood that makes Greenfields look cheaper. I would still be thrilled to get one though! I was saying a few weeks back that there were different types of houses in Highfields, and the builder showed me the affordable, which were tucked in around the back of the estate. These were not very nice compared to the social houses in the same estate. But I went up again a few days ago for another look, and I was talking to the same builder who now says he thinks he was mistaken and that the nicer ones are the affordable ones. Fingers crossed he's right this time!! I dont know why they are calling the houses Greenfields but Im presuming its because they are at the back of the original estate called Greenfields. Not too sure. Did you ask the council about that letter I was telling you about? Did they give anybody any idea when they are starting interviews? They informed a friend of mine that there are delays because they are short staffed as a lot of them are on their holidays. Ridiculous.

I got 110 points. Seriously low, so no real hope. Living in Western Road (City) and I'm only in Cork 4.5 years. These 2 things seemingly came against me. Did anybody else do this bad. County will probably have over 100 houses in next 2 years in Ballincollig. Supposed to be over 200 have applied

Im afraid I would think 110 points is quite low. I would imagine you lost out on points as you are not from the area you applied for. Also its an extra 5 points per family member, and 5 points per full year on the list. Unfortunately its a very long process if you are dealing with the affordable housing. Hopefully with all the houses coming on stream in Ballincollig they will work their way through the list a bit faster as it has been a very slow process to date due to the lack of houses provided.

hey dylanjohn i got on to them last week and they told me that a letter had been sent to me requesting these things. i told them i did not receive any letter so when they checked my file they had sent to wrong address. i was fuming had to spend the day running around ordering statements and stuff but still waiting for these to arrive. did you see article in yesterdays echo about the houses in douglas, there was also supposed to be something on radio this morning about it and these houses have been given out according to a county council spokesperson but just waiting on things to be sorted with banks for keys to be given out. when i asked them last week i was told no allocationsd have yet been made. dont know what to believe at this stage.

I heard about this in Douglas alright, its madness. They keep saying interviews havent started and houses havent been given out, but obviously you have heard different. It is hard to believe whats really happening, they are determined to keep us in the dark for some reason. Cant believe they sent that letter to the wrong address, isnt it just as well you rang them about it, as they give a closing date on the letter to have these things in, and if you dont have the stuff in, your application wont be considered. They sent my letter on the 31st May, they prob sent yours around the same time. Did they mention when they will be starting the interviews? Hopefully it'll have all been worth it in the end!!

I dont suppose anybody has some news about whats happeneing??? I heard yesterday the houses are to be allocated in September - so whats happening with the interviews? I have to presume they have started....

I dont suppose anybody has some news about whats happeneing??? I heard yesterday the houses are to be allocated in September - so whats happening with the interviews? I have to presume they have started....

I also heard that the houses are being allocated in Sept. and that at the moment they are assessing people for affordability, they are meant to be working down the list.

They are assessing affordability at the moment, but I sent in all my stuff in response to a letter I got almost 7 weeks ago. I wonder how longer it is gonna go on for, I would never have belived that it would take this long. I know a few people on the list, but nobody has any news about the interviews. If they havent started them, how are the houses gonna be given on in Sept. We're nearly into August now. Any time I ring im told they dont know this that and the other. Would it be that difficult to tell me what my chances are. I was told about 6 weeks ago that I would defenitely be getting called for an interview, and I should be getting a letter in the post, but still nothing. If anybody knows if the interviews have started Id love to know!!!

what i have heard recently now is that before any official offers are made to people it will have to go before the council for approval and because they are on their summer break at the moment that is what is stalling the process and that it will be after the summer before anyone is called.

Hi Bigbum, Does that mean that it'll be after August before anyone is even called for interview?

Hey, was onto the affordable housing today, and was basically told that everyone with the top points are going to be called in for the 1st round of interviews in a months time. For Ballincollig, that means people with 165-170 points. After that there will be a 2nd round of interviews for people with 155-160. As I got 155 points, I probably wont get called for a few months. Thats if Im lucky enough and all the houses arent gone. It is really heart breaking, I thought I was in with a good chance this time.

Hi there, does anyone know anything about the new houses in Fort Hill, (past Broadale, Maryborough Hill) Are they County or City Council? Do you have to apply separetly with the County Council? I've already applied to the city. How long is the average wait from application to offer? Oh and I'm new to this thing so I'm sorry if I seem a bit lost :p

Hi there, does anyone know anything about the new houses in Fort Hill, (past Broadale, Maryborough Hill) Are they County or City Council? Do you have to apply separetly with the County Council? I've already applied to the city. How long is the average wait from application to offer? Oh and I'm new to this thing so I'm sorry if I seem a bit lost :p

County and city schemes are separate and quite different.
I was offered a house on the city scheme after a 7 month wait

County and city schemes are separate and quite different.
I was offered a house on the city scheme after a 7 month wait

7 months???!!

I will shortly be going into year 3 without a peep...and the affordable houses are getting less and less 'affordable!'

7 months???!!

I will shortly be going into year 3 without a peep...and the affordable houses are getting less and less 'affordable!'

Bubblebunny are you on the city waitinglist aswell? I know my partners sister got one in banduff about 5 years ago maybe and she was only on the list for a few months aswell. Can you tell me a bit about the points everybody talk about? How do you get them and when? I only applied a few weeks ago.

Bubblebunny are you on the city waitinglist aswell? I know my partners sister got one in banduff about 5 years ago maybe and she was only on the list for a few months aswell. Can you tell me a bit about the points everybody talk about? How do you get them and when? I only applied a few weeks ago.

Hi VG, I don't think it's quite so easy to get the city houses anymore, well I know it's not!

I don't know the points scheme offhand, but you get points for lots of different things such as how long you are on the list, if you are working in the area, savings, etc.

One thing though, I do find the City better to deal with in that you can get that kind of info from them easily enough

The criteria for both the city and county are very similar but the city never tell you what points you are.
Off the top of my head the categorys they have are:

-How long you've rented in the area.
-How far away you work from the scheme you're applying for.
-How much savings you have.
-Are you a first time buyer. etc

My girlfriend and I were joint applicants and from what we've heard we were ideal candidates. i.e rentgin in cork city almost 5 years, both working within 10 miles of city and 20k + in savings.

We know people on the list longer that us who didnt get it simply because they were living at home.

The criteria for both the city and county are very similar but the city never tell you what points you are.
Off the top of my head the categorys they have are:

-How long you've rented in the area.
-How far away you work from the scheme you're applying for.
-How much savings you have.
-Are you a first time buyer. etc

My girlfriend and I were joint applicants and from what we've heard we were ideal candidates. i.e rentgin in cork city almost 5 years, both working within 10 miles of city and 20k + in savings.

We know people on the list longer that us who didnt get it simply because they were living at home.

Ok thanks, I'd say our weakness is the savings so, with the rent we're paying we find it impossible to save that amunt of money! Maybe in a few years, when we have cleared our loans (still paying off a carloan and australia ;) I got a letter today about 2bed apts in Model Farm Rd, but we're planning a family so need a big house. If you were offered an apt and turned it down, does that mean your back to the end of the list? And do you think they would look down on the fact that I'm only in Ireland for 3 years?

Back