Zappone appointment a step too far...

Sorry lads.....

Just listened to Simon's speech. Without doubt, he deserves to be sacked! Seriously, what a sickening, truly depressing speech. I know my sense of proportionality will be called into question but honestly his speech was beyond brutal.

As a by the by, some of the support acts (speeches) - on both sides - were pure class - genuine comedy gold.
[I'm afraid to mention who the best speaker in the debate was coz yee'll think I'm taking the biscuit - and I'm probably need to move on from the thread!]

meanwhile a former Sinn Fein councillor in Dublin is going on trial for murder and that drops down the news list whilst the focus is on Zappone. I'm a bit of a cynic :eek:

Sorry lads.....

Just listened to Simon's speech. Without doubt, he deserves to be sacked! Seriously, what a sickening, truly depressing speech. I know my sense of proportionality will be called into question but honestly his speech was beyond brutal.

As a by the by, some of the support acts (speeches) - on both sides - were pure class - genuine comedy gold.
[I'm afraid to mention who the best speaker in the debate was coz yee'll think I'm taking the biscuit - and I'm probably need to move on from the thread!]
Well I listened to it and I completely disagree with you (quelle surprise eh!). I think the anger in his voice was completely justified and I'm just glad this whole charade is now over. As for SF, they once again showed their true colours in (mis)using Dail privilege to throw the name of Simon Harris into the mix as well. What a shower...

Well I listened to it and I completely disagree with you (quelle surprise eh!). I think the anger in his voice was completely justified and I'm just glad this whole charade is now over. As for SF, they once again showed their true colours in (mis)using Dail privilege to throw the name of Simon Harris into the mix as well. What a shower...
These votes of no confidence are so predictable and follow party lines. However, perhaps there is some meaning to how the Independents voted and as it happened I think 12 voted for Coveney. I need look no further; that for me proves the whole thing was totally overblown.

meanwhile a former Sinn Fein councillor in Dublin is going on trial for murder and that drops down the news list whilst the focus is on Zappone. I'm a bit of a cynic :eek:
You're not allowed to talk about that sort of thing. He is probably a good republican and that trumps all.

I used to agree with you but now I'm a big fan of the Shinners (and not being sent to a Uighurs style re-education camp when they get into office).

Let's agree to differ on Coveney's faux-anger vomit!

Let's agree also that Independents voting not to face the risk and expense of a GE is a very, very silly baramoter! [Think Christmas and turkeys.]

Three things now need to happen.......

1. The RCYC should send a letter to Coveney expressing its surprise about his handling of the whole affair. In particular, the letter should note the disappointment of members in the lack of skill by which he handled the job for the girls and its botched cover-up.

2. Leo should have stern words with Harris about leaking stuff

3. FG should be rebrand to something which better describes its modus operandi. I've heard "Snakes and Leakers" being mentioned.

ONLY REPLY IF YOU'RE NOT IN TOTAL DISAGREEMENT WITH EVERY I'VE WRITTEN :cool:

Let's agree also that Independents voting not to face the risk and expense of a GE is a very, very silly baramoter! [Think Christmas and turkeys.]
Not your usual rational self. Everyone knew there wasn't a turkey's chance at Xmas of this vote going the Shinners' way even if every Indo got on board. But let us consider your argument that our TDs vote mainly on one criterion - what it does for their future electoral chances. 12 independents have decided that supporting Coveney would go down better with their constituents. That says something.
ONLY REPLY IF YOU'RE NOT IN TOTAL DISAGREEMENT WITH EVERY I'VE WRITTEN :cool:
At least triple negatives there. Not sure if my post is in breach of the decree;)

Last edited:
Maybe my last post could have been written slightly better alright!
I had thought my "very very silly" provocation would get a bit of reaction! - the trouble being it wasn't the reaction I had anticipated - OUCH.......................... I guess I'd better measure twice before attempting similar assertions in the future!

I'm just glad this whole charade is now over.

I think it's far from over.

Carthy has played a blinder in opposition terms. They weren't going to win the no-confidence vote in the Dáil, and the end of this affair was all but nigh.
But now Carty has forced government to take disciplinary action against him (meaning the details of this affair will air again some time soon) or they let it slip quietly by, a defacto acceptance that Carty is right and has said nothing that has not been peddling in media circles for sometime. *See Tom Lyons (The Currency) twitter feed of 07 September.

But media are somewhat hamstrung, unable to expose their sources. Instead, FG did it for them.
Miriam Lords piece in IT from 07 September exposes the sting operation within the FG ranks.

This is what parliamentary politics is all about - theatre. And this is stuff is turning into award winning theatre.
If you are not enjoying this political omnishambles then there is simply no pleasing some people.

You're not allowed to talk about that sort of thing. He is probably a good republican and that trumps all.

I used to agree with you but now I'm a big fan of the Shinners (and not being sent to a Uighurs style re-education camp when they get into office).
You mean the Gaeltacht with a refresher on Peig Sayers and the patriotic poetry of Padraig Pearse?

I really hope that this is the end of this boring saga . It's time to move on , to the next problem.
Will that be Simon Harris ( who leaked what) or Michael D ( will he or why wont he attend).

Last edited:
no need to send you to a re-education camp judging by your posts in the last year or two life seems to be doing the job just fine:(:confused:

I think it's far from over.

Carthy has played a blinder in opposition terms. They weren't going to win the no-confidence vote in the Dáil, and the end of this affair was all but nigh.
But now Carty has forced government to take disciplinary action against him (meaning the details of this affair will air again some time soon) or they let it slip quietly by, a defacto acceptance that Carty is right and has said nothing that has not been peddling in media circles for sometime. *See Tom Lyons (The Currency) twitter feed of 07 September.

But media are somewhat hamstrung, unable to expose their sources. Instead, FG did it for them.
Miriam Lords piece in IT from 07 September exposes the sting operation within the FG ranks.

This is what parliamentary politics is all about - theatre. And this is stuff is turning into award winning theatre.
If you are not enjoying this political omnishambles then there is simply no pleasing some people.
You said I was being infantile in saying SF lack political maturity. Imho Matt Carthy just proved my point. You said this is classic opposition politics. I say we have a very different view of what we want and expect from our opposition politicians.

You said I was being infantile in saying SF lack political maturity. Imho Matt Carthy just proved my point. You said this is classic opposition politics. I say we have a very different view of what we want and expect from our opposition politicians.

Absolutely it is classic opposition politics. I'm not exactly sure what it is you expect out of Dáil Éireann but I suspect you have unreasonably high expectations.
Very little is ever achieved in the Dáil. It's just theatre for the public. And this great theatre.
In political terms Carty has played a classic opposition hand. Zapponegate is all but history now, but dissent and division in government is all too obvious now. FF have their own problems which is clear, but now faultlines in the FG leadership are being exposed. Right up at the very top.

I really hope that this is the end of this boring saga . It's time to move on , to the next problem.
Will that be Simon Harris ( who leaked what) or Michael D ( will he or why wont he attend).
The Michael D controversy over not attending the Armagh ceremony will now take over. According to John Bruton this morning he is not free himself to make these decisions he is bound constitutionally to inform the government, he quoted a very clear line from the constitution saying this. According to Bruton the government wasn't informed, the president is not a free agent he is an instrument of the government..
Of course the last thing the government now needs is this but the fact that John Bruton has weighed in means they can't now ignore it.

The Michael D controversy over not attending the Armagh ceremony will now take over. According to John Bruton this morning he is not free himself to make these decisions he is bound constitutionally to inform the government, he quoted a very clear line from the constitution saying this.

Did John Bruton acknowledge that his interpretation of the Constitution was very robustly refuted br Diarmuid Ferriter last night? If not, that's bad as he is not presenting the full story. Then again he was in charge of Snakes and Leakers and he's Dicky's brother.

I say we have a very different view of what we want and expect from our opposition politicians.

We certainly do! I'd like mine to tell the truth and if they are going to deviate from this, to at least make the ruse potentially credible!!

It's just theatre for the public. And this great theatre.

I have a little anecdote from an unimpeachable source..........seriously, I believe this story to be true - henceforth to be known as a non-coveneyed story.
When Mary O'Rourke was a young lass her dream was to be an actress. Her dad, Patrick Lenihan, told her that acting in the traditional sense was a precarious profession and that she'd be better off seeking to preform in the greatest Irish stage of them all, Leinster House. "To help you get there, no harm to have a teaching qualification", the story goes.....

I'd like mine to tell the truth and if they are going to deviate from this, to at least make the ruse potentially credible!!
You also like yours to distract government from the job at hand and engage in frivolous matters in the interest of political theater. But hey you continue taking the high ground here...

I agree. Far more important things going on at the moment. Brexit, climate change and of course...Garth Brooks!

Back