Zappone appointment a step too far...

She seems to want the job so much maybe she could offer to do it for free?

I get the feeling she'd go on these committees, read these reports as a high hobby horse.

It's a case study in how to turn a non-story into something that is very damaging by totally mishandling it.
Purple is right. This is a non story from the beginning. I can't help but get the feeling that it's a smokescreen to hide something else.

I didn't like her at first. Mainly because she came across as a hostile feminist only interested in 'wemmen's issues'.
I have to say I was impressed with her as a minister. She came across as competent, erudite and articulate. I'd have had no problem with her getting a UN job.

She came across as competent, erudite and articulate. I'd have had no problem with her getting a UN job.

I don't think anyone would.
The problem is the manner in which she got the job. I'm guessing there may perhaps be a few others who consider themselves competent, erudite and articulate and may have considered applying for the post also?
But they wouldn't have been able to because it appears it was a done deal for people in high office to override the rules and regulations that they themselves sign off on.
I'm only speculating of course, I'm sure a reasonable explanation will be forthcoming as to why the post was not subject to the normal channels of Public Appointments.

Get me Zappone!

Sounds like it should be a 1970s cop show, but no, it's another Irish public appointment stroke turned scandal.

I think Katherine Zappone needs to be called before the Committee.

There were more holes in Coveney's performance today than in a colander.

As bad as he was, Charlie Flanagan should be ashamed of himself for an appalling job as chair.

I think Katherine Zappone needs to be called before the Committee.

There were more holes in Coveney's performance today than in a colander.

As bad as he was, Charlie Flanagan should be ashamed of himself for an appalling job as chair.
She's a private citizen now so can't be compelled to attend.

I know that.

That's why I said needs to be called - not must be compelled.

We all know that she won't be called/requested is because Charlie Flanagan will manage this. If you had seen the sham this morning, you would understand why I write this.

I was just giving my opinion. I found Coveney's and Flan's performances appalling.

Others will have different opinions.

Earlier, I needed to correct the inference that Purple had implied that I said something that I hadn't.

It's good to tidy up loose ends........I think even Simon will agree with that......WITH THE BENEFIT OF HINDSIGHT!!!!

I watched the entire show this morning. I know who's on the committee!

Earlier, I needed to correct the inference that Purple had implied that I said something that I hadn't.
Where did I do that?

It might be appalling but it's nothing new and it's distracting from the real issues our Government and Parliament should be concentrating on.

Political dynamics at play are interesting. MM dumped on Barry Cowen, but he is effectively powerless to take out Coveney without triggering a collapse of Government and an end to his own reign.
So Barry Cowen had a misdemeanour and lost his port folio, but Coveney stays on?
In whose interest is this if only his own selfish interest?

Actually, WT, this stuff is ideal for SF........they are the big winners in all of this........matter of time before SF hold the justice and defence portfolios!

Actually, WT, this stuff is ideal for SF........they are the big winners in all of this........matter of time before SF hold the justice and defence portfolios!
I'm no supporter of SF but I think its hypocritical of commentators in RoI saying stuff like this when we all gush about the positive shifts in NI that have seen SF in govt there with DUP. Is it grand for Northies to have SF in charge and running ministries but we're too good for it?!

I'm no supporter of SF but I think its hypocritical of commentators in RoI saying stuff like this when we all gush about the positive shifts in NI that have seen SF in govt there with DUP. Is it grand for Northies to have SF in charge and running ministries but we're too good for it?!
Well Im not defending gushing ... about anything.

But it was a necessary part of the peace process in the North as part of power sharing.
None of that means they can be trusted if given free reign.
The N Ireland executive does not have the full scope of powers ROI government does, they are in a box.

Back