World Cup "Investments"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cometh the hour, cometh the Fellani... my sweepstake hopes are still alive thanks to the send on the big man and put the ball "on his head" tactic.

Tough for Japan, the corner at the end was madness but in extra time I think the Belgian battering ram would have overpowered them.

One of Russia, Croatia, Sweden(1958), Switzerland, England (1966), Colombia will be in the World Cup final.
The other side of the draw has Brazil (2002), Belgium, France (2006), Uruguay (1950).

I've put the last final appearances in brackets for each team.

Good stuff, Switzerland are 34.0 in outright betting. I expect them to progress past Sweden. Then every chance against England/Colombia and they are in semi-final territory.
If so, their price will drop to 8.0 minimum, and probably even less.

Still, alot of football to be played between now and then, but definitely one to keep an eye on the squad reports. The Swiss are going about their business somewhat under the radar in my opinion. Very little noise about them and I consider that a positive.

Well thats my Swiss theory dead and buried before it even got going :oops:.

England to qualify this evening, maybe?

I don't see anyone will be sad to see the Colombians going home, at a footballing level they are a negative to the tournament.

I'm starting to get a real fear....

I'd say England go into Sweden game as slight favourites; I'd have Croatia or Russia (technically home game) as favourites in the SF based on results so far; and then whoever comes through from the other side of the draw must be favourites for the final.

Well of all remaining 8 teams, England are the bookies’ favorite to reach the final.
Look on the bright side. If England beat Brazil in the final we might never hear about 1966 again:)

Well of all remaining 8 teams, England are the bookies’ favorite to reach the final.
Look on the bright side. If England beat Brazil in the final we might never hear about 1966 again:)

True and then when Sir Bobby Charlton and Sir Geoff Hurst meets up with Sir Jessie Lingard and Sir Raheem Sterling, it will be nice for them to be able to compare war stories.

The odds could also reflect that it's hard to pick between Brazil, Belgium, France and Uruguay for who will emerge from their side of the draw; but I think whoever does must go into the final as favourites - looking at either the FIFA rankings or number of world cups won, it is a lopsided draw.
Host nations sometime have that effect, and losing the World Cup winners in group stage also.

I think England reaching the final and being outclassed and losing 3-1 to Brazil would probably deflate expectations and bring a dose of reality to the media.

The odds could also reflect that it's hard to pick between Brazil, Belgium, France and Uruguay for who will emerge from their side of the draw; but I think whoever does must go into the final as favourites - looking at either the FIFA rankings or number of world cups won, it is a lopsided draw.
Host nations sometime have that effect, and losing the World Cup winners in group stage also.

I think England reaching the final and being outclassed and losing 3-1 to Brazil would probably deflate expectations and bring a dose of reality to the media.

If England get to the final, they will win it. There is more chance of them messing up against Sweden by looking past the game and getting carried away.

If England get to the final, they will win it. There is more chance of them messing up against Sweden by looking past the game and getting carried away.

Southgate should sit the team down to watch a replay of the 2nd half of the 1992 euros game when Sweden knocked them out...

Suffering withdrawal symptoms.
FIFA should have scheduled 'World Cup' shield matches on these dead days, could have had USA, Italy, Netherlands, Wales, Honduras, Ivory Coast, Chile, Paraguay, New Zealand...

Maybe even Ireland!

I'd really like to see England reach the final to see if official Britain continue to boycott the event with the whole populace in a frenzy.

Hopefully Croatia get past Russia & in the event that Sweden fail to earn our eternal gratitude then I think Croatia are our best bet.
I think that England looked distinctly average last night against a team missing their best player

Hopefully Croatia get past Russia & in the event that Sweden fail to earn our eternal gratitude then I think Croatia are our best bet.
I think that England looked distinctly average last night against a team missing their best player
Coming from the MOPE community of NI I have as much cause as anyone to resent 800 years of Albion oppression but yet once they go out of this WC my interest will greatly diminish.

I , on the other hand , will be unable to relax until they are knocked out.
My view is somewhat coloured by my experiences of their fans in Stuttgart & Sardinia but mostly from the West Stand in Lansdowne in 1995.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back