Who will support England?

Purple

Given the number of people in this country who support English football teams, who talk about "we" and "us" when referring to them in conversation, well there be many Irish people cheering for England in the European Cup Final?

May the best team win, and if the best team is England well then congratulations to them.
I won't be cheering for their downfall.
I am more hoping for a good game in the final.

Not a chance Purple. The very simple reason being that we live next door to them and have to listen to them going on about it - they still bang on about 1966!
I always liked Italy anyway! :)
Forza Azzurri.

Not a chance Purple. The very simple reason being that we live next door to them and have to listen to them going on about it - they still bang on about 1966!
I always liked Italy anyway! :)
Forza Azzurri.
Well you know you don't *have to* listen to BBC \ ITV... *ahem*
Be patriotic. Endure RTE

Last edited:
I would, if I thought they were the best team. But I have been mightedly impressed by the Italians.
There ability to snuff out attacks, waste time, run down the clock, is done in a way that rather being anti-football, is almost poetry in motion.
They have played some handy attractive football also.

But best of luck to England, certainly would not begrudge them a win. I'm a fan of Grealish, Foden, two really exciting players, great to watch.

England 0-1 Italy (prediction)

Mixed views on this. Can't ignore the fact that 3 of the team could have played for us (Grealish, Rice and Kane) or the fact that some of the squad like Greenwood and Sterling are positive social role models. Kane is even the shirt sponser for the club he made his league debut for (Leyton Orient) which allows them to put local charities instead of betting companies on their shirt. And no sign of a WAG anywhere. Southgate is also a decent bloke. I also lived there for 10 years and was only ever treated with decency

And yet, 800 years and all of that. it's a bit like asking a Corkman to shout for Kerry or a Tipp fan to shout for Kilkenny, It's just not natural.

I like this English team but anyone who saw the clip with the English Journalist asking Schmeichel what it would mean to him to stop 'football coming home' will know that the English media just can't help themselves. I then see the English fans lucky enough to be allowed into the Stadium boo the Danish Anthem and I am reminded why many of my English friends refuse to go to England matches. I know someone who went to the game and apparently 'No Surrender to the IRA' got an airing at one point....

So if England win, fair play to the Manager and Players achieving something really great and I look forward to seeing Sir Gareth Southgate, Sir Raheem Sterling and Sir Declan Rice milking the success for the next 100 years... However, I will not be cheering for England. It's just not right.

I hope Italy beats the livin' bejazus out of 'em. Overpaid ponces taking to diving like there was a swimming pool about. All they're short are the snorkels and speedos. I've no time for Rice or Grealish; not because they opted to play for England instead of playing for us, but the way they dragged out the whole affair.

And their Taking-the-Knee caper . . . I've seen more sincerity in a Jack Russel about to pounce on a kitten.

C'mon Italia - and I'm glad Spain are gone too! And France for that matter. And Germany . . . And Portugal. And Scotland . . . but, Sorry for Wales.

Last edited:
I hope Italy beats the livin' bejazus out of 'em. Overpaid ponces taking to diving like there was a swimming pool about. All they're short are the snorkels and speedos.
You should stop beating about the bush and say what you really mean.

And the 4th green field is still in bondage. Northern Nationalists' Lives Matter too.
Have pity for poor Slovakia. They had to beat Republic of Ireland, then Northern Ireland and their reward was 0-5 versus Spain.
A United Ireland might have been 1-5 versus Spain.

I hope Italy beats the livin' bejazus out of 'em. Overpaid ponces taking to diving like there was a swimming pool about. All they're short are the snorkels and speedos. I've no time for Rice or Grealish; not because they opted to play for England instead of playing for us, but the way they dragged out the whole affair.

And their Taking-the-Knee caper . . . I've seen more sincerity in a Jack Russel about to pounce on a kitten.

C'mon Italia - and I'm glad Spain are gone too! And France for that matter. And Germany . . . And Portugal. And Scotland . . . but, Sorry for Wales.
And no Italian has ever dived or committed a cynical dirty foul and gotten away with it :)
They practically invented the dark arts of football in europe!

Why were you glad to see the Scots go home but not the Welsh?

I like the new humbler attitude that Southgate has instilled in the team. It has just to permeate into a large swathe of their "we're superior that all" supporters.

But with such an amount of Italians here for whom we depend on for our Friday night dinner, I'll go Italy for this one. England need to wait just a little longer especially after Brexit :D

Back