Who will support England?

Why on earth would anyone who was born and raised in England declare for Ireland

Maybe because they have Irish parents or ancestry and identify with being Irish. Ray Houghton, John Aldridge, Andy Townsend, to name a few.

Maybe because they have Irish parents or ancestry and identify with being Irish. Ray Houghton, John Aldridge, Andy Townsend, to name a few.
How many Irish qualified English born players over the years chose Ireland as a second option?
It happens in many sports. CJ Stander only played for Ireland because he was told he would never get capped by the Springboks. The All Blacks scouts pick out kids in Polynesian Irelands and bring them and their families to New Zealand on scholarships.

How many Irish qualified English born players over the years chose Ireland as a second option?

I don't know. Why?

It happens in many sports. CJ Stander only played for Ireland because he was told he would never get capped by the Springboks.

I know. We have crossed wires here. I think your initial comment was that they 'were not good enough' for England. I think you mean, which I appear not to have understood, they were told they were not good enough for England.
Clearly Aldridge and Townsend would have been good enough for England and Scotland, in the case of Houghton.

I know. We have crossed wires here. I think your initial comment was that they 'were not good enough' for England. I think you mean, which I appear not to have understood, they were told they were not good enough for England.
Clearly Aldridge and Townsend would have been good enough for England and Scotland, in the case of Houghton.
At the time they were approached by Ireland, Aldridge and Houghton were nowhere near the English and Scottish squads.
They were at unfashionable Oxford United.
They may have gotten caps later but no guarantees. Aldridge was

Similarly Townsend may have gotten English caps later, but got them sooner with Ireland and got to feature in a major tournament.

I don't know. Why?
Because players want to play for their own country. If they can't they'll play for the country of their parents or an adopted country, or maybe they'll pick the country of their parents if their own country is much lower ranked and had no hope of ever winning anything.

What he said:
At the time they were approached by Ireland, Aldridge and Houghton were nowhere near the English and Scottish squads.
They were at unfashionable Oxford United.
They may have gotten caps later but no guarantees. Aldridge was

Similarly Townsend may have gotten English caps later, but got them sooner with Ireland and got to feature in a major tournament.

Some of those players played for Ireland at under-age level. What changed their minds to swap to England? Money it seems, so they were poached for the senior squad having been ignored when under-age by England. Ireland invested in them, gave them international experience, then the English system woke up and reached for the cheque book.

Don't get me wrong, anyone with a talent and a potentially short career needs to maximise their return on that talent, but the fact is they were poached. That's my only point, the poaching, although Rice left a bad odour behind him having strung Ireland along for a long time. And Harry Kane still enjoys himself in the cousins' pub out Connemara way.

Some of those players played for Ireland at under-age level. What changed their minds to swap to England? Money it seems, so they were poached for the senior squad having been ignored when under-age by England. Ireland invested in them, gave them international experience, then the English system woke up and reached for the cheque book.

Don't get me wrong, anyone with a talent and a potentially short career needs to maximise their return on that talent, but the fact is they were poached. That's my only point, the poaching, although Rice left a bad odour behind him having strung Ireland along for a long time. And Harry Kane still enjoys himself in the cousins' pub out Connemara way.
Did any English guys who played for Ireland at senior level play under age for their home country?
If anyone is interested here's a list of foreign born players who played for the Republic of Ireland football team.
Edit: According to the Irish Times since the 1970's around 40% of our players were British. And we've the cheek to criticise some of the ones we try to poach deciding to play for their own country!

Last edited:
And we've the cheek to criticise some of the ones we try to poach deciding to play for their own country!
I don't see any criticism of them, other than Rice by me. And who gave any of us the authority to decide what "their own country" or "home country" is? Surely that's their decision, made for their own reasons, within the guidelines laid down by the soccer authorities.

I know, but as I said I misunderstood @Purple quote. I didn't make the distinction between "not being good enough" and "being told they were not good enough"

The substantive point stands. Lots of English players will aspire to playing for England, it doesn't mean they don't recognise themselves as Irish also, or part Irish.
Obviously Grealish and Rice were told that they were in fact good enough to play for England one day. So they went with their national identity.
Some people complaining about how long it took them to make up their minds. I think this means they gave Ireland serious consideration. Their ambition was England, but Ireland must have been a serious option for them if it took so long to decide.

We didnt invest very much in them... considering they all came through English club schoolboy and academy systems...
I dont think they reached for the cheque book so much as dangled carrot of tournament football.

Youths may also be more influenced in what will impress their parents but then may see things different later.

The substantive point stands. Lots of English players will aspire to playing for England, it doesn't mean they don't recognise themselves as Irish also, or part Irish.
Obviously Grealish and Rice were told that they were in fact good enough to play for England one day. So they went with their national identity.
Some people complaining about how long it took them to make up their minds. I think this means they gave Ireland serious consideration. Their ambition was England, but Ireland must have been a serious option for them if it took so long to decide.
That's all fair enough. What I have a problem with is Irish people calling them traitors etc. because they chose to play for their own country.

I don't see any criticism of them, other than Rice by me.
Really? I have.
And who gave any of us the authority to decide what "their own country" or "home country" is? Surely that's their decision, made for their own reasons, within the guidelines laid down by the soccer authorities.
They have the authority; it's their choice. The choice they made shows that they are English and there's not a thing wrong with that.

What I have a problem with is Irish people calling them traitors etc.

Yes same. I mean, a bit of banter and jibes is ok as long as it is not taken seriously. Regrettably there are simply too many idiots that go beyond this.

I hate to be blunt but if any budding star could chose between Ireland and England at the moment there is only be going to be one outcome , no disrespect to the Irish, in my opinion. And you couldn’t blame them.

I hate to be blunt but if any budding star could chose between Ireland and England at the moment there is only be going to be one outcome , no disrespect to the Irish, in my opinion. And you couldn’t blame them.
That's absolutely correct. We are not a soccer nation. We never will be a soccer nation. We were lucky in the 90's to just happen to have a particular team that included a fair share of also-rans who just gelled together particularly well as a team with a manager that suited them and a two superb captains.

We will dine out on those few years of success for decades. John Delaney also awarded himself largesse based on that small period of success. Yes our fans are great because they don't expect much (they expect a little more that they are getting at the present), but we will never be competing with the top tier no matter how much we would like to think we can. England are back in that top tier and for a player, that is the ultimate goal.

If you are a footballer and born in England, and there's a possibility of a England call up, of course you'll go that route and anyone that advises you otherwise is selfish.

But where we may start getting players is from the many superb immigrants from African nations who will bring an athletic gene into the pool and maybe we'll see an Irish Rashford or and Irish Sterling scoring in Wembley.

The first thing young football players must learn from now is how to take peno’s .
And just a little less time spent learning how to take the knee (sorry!)
peemac said:
immigrants from African nations who will bring an athletic gene into the pool
That is of course the definition of racism, but you will get away with it.

Last edited:
Back