What/What Not to Buy at Lidl/Aldi

Aldi have two large LCD TVs on sale this week, a 42" and a 47", Anyone have any thoughts on them, are they worth getting, i.e. are they somewhat future-proof or old technology?

I know someone who bought Lidl brand sailing gloves the last time their offer was on, only to discover they lasted only quarter as long as the normal sailing brands from a sailing shop, and which are about the same price as Lidl anyway ( 22 as opposed to 20 euro ).

Have you extrapolated from this single incident to a more general conclusion about the quality of Lidl goods? If so isn't that a bit premature?

He may have been unlucky with the sailing gloves. I sail and after years of getting a wet bum, I now will only wear top of the range, quality, jacket and trousers Musto kit. BUT since gloves get lost, fall overboard, catch on a nail etc.,etc, I just buy them in bulk from Lidl every so often and don't worry too much about how long they'll last and they are very considerably cheaper than the price you'd pay in a chandler.

mf

He may have been unlucky with the sailing gloves. I sail and after years of getting a wet bum, I now will only wear top of the range, quality, jacket and trousers Musto kit. BUT since gloves get lost, fall overboard, catch on a nail etc.,etc, I just buy them in bulk from Lidl every so often and don't worry too much about how long they'll last and they are very considerably cheaper than the price you'd pay in a chandler.

mf

Very considerably cheaper ? No way. That is my point entirely. Shop around. Lidl amara sailing gloves are 20 euro - and they only take cash or laser. You can pay by credit card, cash or laser a pair of Musto Amara sailing gloves for the same money, in a sailing or watersports shop. Musto are you point out is a quality and very respected world famous brand. You can get other very well known sailing brands a euro or two cheaper than the Lidl gloves. I have never lost my gloves but get a lot of service from them. Maybe it helps there are no nail heads protruding on my boat. Anyway I do not want to argue with you. We are all free to shop around and spend our money where we want, thank God. Happy sailing.

What does anyone think of the wet suits and kayaking gear available in Aldi/Lidl ?
I ve gone kayaking a few times with borrowed gear and I have to say I reallly liked it.

What does anyone think of the wet suits and kayaking gear available in Aldi/Lidl ?
I ve gone kayaking a few times with borrowed gear and I have to say I reallly liked it.

I know a couple of people who have bought the wet suits and they are quite happy with them.

Word of warning about Lidl Welltech TVs - mine's gone belly up after 2 years. Emits a high pitched whining noise. Then again it was very cheap.

I know a few people who bought that stuff in Lidl who were very disappointed with the quality, and who ended up having to buy proper stuff within a few months. As the old saying goes, buy cheap, buy twice.

What specifically?

Both Lidl and Aldi have very good warranty cover (over and above the normal statutory rights to refund/replacement/repair in certain circumstances) on most things that they sell so if there was a problem within a few months they probably could have brought it back for a refund.

I know a few people who bought that stuff in Lidl who were very disappointed with the quality, and who ended up having to buy proper stuff within a few months. As the old saying goes, buy cheap, buy twice.

I wasnt aware Aldi/Lidl had been selling wet suits for long enough in Ireland for a few months to pass :confused:

Is there a significant difference in price between wet suits available elsewhere and in Aldi/Lidl ?

ps,, add Napoleon Brandy to my list of what to buy in Aldi (Parnell Street)

I wasnt aware Aldi/Lidl had been selling wet suits for long enough in Ireland for a few months to pass :confused:

Is there a significant difference in price between wet suits available elsewhere and in Aldi/Lidl ?

Actually Lidl did sell wetsuits for a week or two last year.

As regards price difference, the Lidl wetsuits - like most of the clothing Lidl sells - may be a bit cheaper initially to purchase, but in the long run if it is not comfortable, does not fit well ( they only do a reduced selection of sizes compared to all other manufacturers ) or does not last what is the point?

Some of their food stuffs is good value though.

Personally,I'd want to be able to try on a wetsuit before buying it. There's no option of doing that at Lidl.

Personally,I'd want to be able to try on a wetsuit before buying it. There's no option of doing that at Lidl.

You can also bring it back for as refund no questions asked also if its the wrong size or take it to your car, try it on there then if it was the wrong size bring it straight back.

Team Aldi/Lidl Strikes back !:p

mf

Ahoy fellow sailors!

In fairness I haven't tried Lidl sailing gloves myself (very good at not losing my Gill ones) but I know someone who bought a box of them last year for about €5 a pair. I absolutely hate Gill ones as I actually managed to wear off kevlar (sp?) on them and cut my fingers.

Musto is such a huge brand in some countries, Ireland being one of them. Most people would swear that HL is a much better and durable brand. However, I wouldn't mind having a set of dry, cheap waterproofs from Lidl available after I've been soaked to the bone and working on deck for 4 hours.

Back