What/What Not to Buy at Lidl/Aldi

In Lidl in Leixlip the other day and see they have frozen geese. Has anyone tried one it might be a nice change from the turkey.

Aldi - McGraths gold label irish tea bags are nice, Alcafe coffee gold blend (for instant coffee) is good also in Aldi. The womans shaving gel is good also, I think it is Wilkinson Sword. Lidl - The teabags are yeuck in Lidl so are the bananas, beans and garlic bread.

Tried the beans found them to be fine but then again I am not the typical narrow minded Irish person who hates to try new things I have traveled quite alot in my time , Glad to say our kids try everything , even now when people would see our kids eating kerkins , olives etc they say oh my god how can they like that, answer because they are not narrow minded

ClubMan said:
The men's tampons aren't great though.

I am Irish - I also have travelled extensively throughout the world for the past 20 years and I am not a "narrow minded Irish person". I dont think the Irish can be generalised as "typically narrow minded" either I must say. I have tried lots of the stuff in Lidl and Aldi - some I like, some I dont. Its a case of taste and personal preference, not narrow mindedness. Now, the person, nationality aside who judges the produce without first trying it, could be thought of as narrow minded or just unadventurous

oulu said:
Tried the beans found them to be fine but then again I am not the typical narrow minded Irish person who hates to try new things I have traveled quite alot in my time , Glad to say our kids try everything , even now when people would see our kids eating kerkins , olives etc they say oh my god how can they like that, answer because they are not narrow minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by maura
The womans shaving gel is good also

The men's tampons aren't great though.

Narrow minded I may be but I won't be trying those!

oulu said:

God your great! I wish we could all be like you :rolleyes: .

oulu said:
Tried the beans found them to be fine . .
I’m pretty sure I’m not too broad-minded anyway, but the Aldi beans are grand. I try to get one new product on each visit to Aldi.

Best buys are the orange juice and biscuits man cant get enough of their chocolate biscuits

Tried the beer but was like drinking coloured water the French Beer that is

Fruit seems to go off quickly and you cannot buy one mushroom you have to buy a packet

Also nice chocolate & other ice cream....... all this is making me hungry

..Your not typical remember Irish people tend not to travel abroad as much as others from other Countrys so are limited to what they have tasted, I like to shop in the asian and African shops we now have and u know many Irish would not dream of it, to be seen by neighbours would be a big No No, If I can convert 1 person a month just to try something different from what Mother used to make when they where young makes my life worth while, new Lidl opening around 15 Dec Greenhills rd first in Q u have guessed
emmt said:
I am Irish - I also have travelled extensively throughout the world for the past 20 years and I am not a "narrow minded Irish person". I dont think the Irish can be generalised as "typically narrow minded" either I must say. I have tried lots of the stuff in Lidl and Aldi - some I like, some I dont. Its a case of taste and personal preference, not narrow mindedness. Now, the person, nationality aside who judges the produce without first trying it, could be thought of as narrow minded or just unadventurous

oulu said:
..Your not typical remember Irish people tend not to travel abroad as much as others from other Countrys so are limited to what they have tasted, I like to shop in the asian and African shops we now have and u know many Irish would not dream of it
It's not necessary to travel to taste different foods. You have just shown that yourself above.
If I can convert 1 person a month just to try something different from what Mother used to make when they where young makes my life worth while
Why? If people are happy with meat, spuds and veg then that's their prerogative. To assume that they should be converted would seem like narrow mindedness to me. Why do you value your life in terms of how many people's eating habits you can change?

Back to the original thread - just had an Aldi "Specially Selected" stone baked Primavera pizza and it was pretty good. Frozen but better than some freshly made pizzas that I've had. Nice thin and crispy base and decent toppings. Washing it down with a Lidl Grafen Walder Premium Pils now. :D

Clubman, Did your mother not teach you not to eat at the computer! Crumbs cause havoc with the keyboard

ClubMan said:
I'd need to know what "kerkins" are first before I'd put them in my mouth.

<hint> they are shaped like Mens Tampons and green coloured </hint>

That Lidl Pils is pretty basic. Not cheap enough to justify the taste, if you know what I mean...

Haven't tried the pizza. Tend to avoid frozen pizzas as they are so easy to make fresh, and who wants processed cheese and tomato sauce, never mind the toppings?

extopia said:
That Lidl Pils is pretty basic. Not cheap enough to justify the taste, if you know what I mean...
Tasted fine to me. Deadly buzz too.

Haven't tried the pizza. Tend to avoid frozen pizzas as they are so easy to make fresh, and who wants processed cheese and tomato sauce, never mind the toppings?
I don't really find it feasible to mix strong flour, live yeast, water, salt, a drop of milk and olive oil, knead it for 10 minutes, put it away to prove, roll it out, make a fresh tomato sauce and then assemble the toppings and bake it when I've come in from work at 8PM but fair play to you if you do... By the way it was Lidl pizza but I'm sure that it wasn't up to your standards all the same.

Despite your recently researched online recipe it's easier than that to make good pizza. Truly! The cooks here will agree I am sure.

As for the beer, well it's all about personal taste. I don't like it (too thin and bubbly) and won't buy it again, but that's just my opinion.

Back