What/What Not to Buy at Lidl/Aldi

Gracious me, we'll be up to 14 pages ourselves, soon! ;)

Since a few people have mentioned the Lidl coffee — yep, the Bellarom stuff in the black tins is distinctly nicer than the cheaper gold-coloured 500g packs (ground like sawdust!). But for only a few cents more, Tesco's twin-packs of Lavazza "Qualità rossa" @ €6.43 for 500g are better still.

Piú lo mandi giú, e piú ti tira su...! :D

Hmmm, now I'm sorry I didn't buy those damn boots and just wear them as slippers...but I was worried that I was turning into a granny before my time.

Vanilla said:
Hmmm, now I'm sorry I didn't buy those damn boots and just wear them as slippers...but I was worried that I was turning into a granny before my time.

They had slipper boots and regular boots but the regular boots looked comfy enough to be used as slippers too. The slipper ones couldn't be worn outside but they're definitely worth the €6.99 I paid - go buy a pair tonight!!

DrMoriarty said:
Since a few people have mentioned the Lidl coffee — yep, the Bellarom stuff in the black tins is distinctly nicer than the cheaper gold-coloured 500g packs (ground like sawdust!). But for only a few cents more, Tesco's twin-packs of Lavazza "Qualità rossa" @ €6.43 for 500g are better still.
I don't think that the black tins of espresso coffee are branded Bellarom - just the brown/gold packets. I never really liked Lavazza myself so I guess there's a lot of subjectivity to stuff like this!

I remember having an Italian visitor at work once who was foisted on me for "minding" for the day because he spoke no English and I was the only one with Italian. We stopped off at my home before going on to a function and I thought "aha! I can offer him some decent coffee, instead of the instant/percolated dross he'll be offered later". But when I produced my traditional expresso machine with the Lavazza he informed me in his snootiest Milanese accent that he didn't drink "industrial coffee"... :rolleyes:

So I told him to eff off back home to his Mamma!

I like the Edel Herbe chocolate €1.29 per bar and the Bourbon vanilla ice cream (blue tub) €4.99 both in Lidl.

Marion

Those €2.99 tubs of ice cream are yummy!

A nice quick meal is one of their mushroom and tomato pasta sauces with whatever veg is handy and maybe a bit of chicken (sautéed the lot together) and some of their Danish Blue cheese crumbled in until it melts and some of their Parmesan to top it off. With pasta obviously. Maybe I'll enter something along those lines into daltonr's competition but I think I'd be blowing the budget with that list of ingredients... However I reckon it wouldn't be up to DrMoriarty's Italian guest's standards though... :)

Im interested in the 'dishwasher tablets' someone mentioned about 500 yards back in these posts. Does anyone know how many Im supposed to take before doing the wash up?

runner said:
Im interested in the 'dishwasher tablets' someone mentioned about 500 yards back in these posts. Does anyone know how many Im supposed to take before doing the wash up?
They're not meant to be ingested orally, runner. Grind them up, dry them out and smoke them like a normal person, for God's sake! :D

The only things I buy in LIDL are the tortilla chips and kanya? salsa....I find them much nicer than what is available in the other supermarkets.

Yeah - but three meals a day of tortilla chips and salsa could get a bit monotonous after a while surely?

sueellen said:
Always knew there was a touch of class about you Doc :D
sueellen, listen, I could tell you stories you simply wouldn't believe! Did you pick up on that recent special on d'leopard-skin wellies? Next time I'm in London I simply must get Geri Halliwell to autograph them for me..! :D

I bought a Lobster for 7.99 in Lidl the other night. Pinchy is sitting in my freezer waiting for Christmas.

Get the mushy peas (fantastic) in Lidl along with the breaded fish (much nicer that donegal catch!).
Avoid the cereals as very dusty!

Aldi Christmas packets of biscuits are definitely the biz.Way way cheaper than the like of usa assorted or afternoon tea. the 500g packet 'luxury' packet is great value for money. we bought aldi biscuits last Christmas and got a pressie from visitors of a tin of marks and sparks biscuits in a fancy tin. Most of the biscuits in the marks tin were the same as aldi's

Re: Hmmm

Why don't we agree to buy one food item in Aldi or Lidl that we have not tried before that has been recommended here on AAM and report back on Monday?

Lines stay open for recommendations until Sunday midnight. Agreed?

Marion

I've recently started buying the Lidl packs of mini Snickers/Marathon bar clones and can't taste the difference from the real thing (I can't belive it's not Snickers!).

I like their yogurts especially with mixed chopped fruit and cereal (e.g. their Bran Flakes or Jordans Crunchy clone or maybe even on porridge) for brekkie. Hmmmm.....

What to Buy at Aldi, list 1 , non perishables or freezables all

Aldi Shopping Basket for the Uninitiated.

(Palatable and very good value)

1. BOTTLE of OJ , c 750mm , grand, 89c cartons are a good bit more.
2. The Dairyfine Fruit and Nut chocky bar €1.09 200g
3. Dishwasher tabs , 40 for €4.20 (10c each )
4. Detergent Liquicaps Bio or Non Bio about €4 for 30 or 13c each .
5. Nappies and Wipes are very good ...nappies c 21c each .
6. Shampoos/Shower Gels/Conditioners/Hand Wash Liquid Soaps get one of each , etel recommends sniff with cap off to see if smell agrees with you !!!!!!!!! one of each... try their herbal essences shampoos and coconut conditioner
7. St Lucas Malbec wine and a californian one they have and an aussie shiraz one of each , i love the Malbec .
8 . Tubs of ice cream, 1L for €2.50 or so misc flavours, also cones like cornettos misc flavours all deliciosa about €2.30 for 8 cones and fruiit fools about €1.50 for 3 all yum yum (heads to fridge ) .
9. Their chocky biccies and digestives and ginger cookies.

That lot will do for a first basket in Aldi , even if you get one of everything I said there you WILL walk out with change from a €50 note so how bad is that.

Back