What/What Not to Buy at Lidl/Aldi

Lidl brand weetabix is grand... kids eat it and their porridge "Oats oh so easy!" they are perfect, orange juice, marg, butter, milk cheese, ham - beans a bit wary... although they now stock heniz - so can get everything in the one shop.. great on the pocket too!!!

"They also do this delicious pack of 4 caramel and shortcake squares that my better half buys (and eats all herself!) "

Those things are so bloody good they are sinful and should be banned.....

"Down with that sort of thing!", "Careful Now" !!!

Wife bought striploin steak in Lidl today, she thinks it's new line. It is Irish beef €15.99 a kilo, bit decadent for a Wednesday but boy was it scrumptious! Highly recommended. Will be returning.

My cat used to like the dry cat food from Lidl that comes in the 2kg bag
Then it disappeared off the shelves for ages and now it's back.....
He won't touch it.

Had same problem with the Aldi cat food. My cat loved the original stuff - cant remember what it was called - and then they changed it to Supercat and he wont touch it. Luckily, he's a discerning wee lad and having gone through whiskas, purina etc etc, he settled for the Lidl stuff in the silver packaging. (Are we mad or wha'?? - Rhetorical question, NO need for replies or commentary!!)

aldi had a 7 tool pack for sale yesterday for 5.99. when I say 7 its really 4 with 3 sets of spare blades. theres a big wide scraper which they say is for removing paint from glass but mrs cu will use it on the ceramic top. theres 'bendy' stanley knife, ( 10 spare blades and you know how expensive those are) a trimming knife with 10 spare blades and a thing that could be used as either a scraper or for filling cracks/holes etc/. ( the green bin collection was this morning and I recycled the cardboard backing so I don't know exactly what the tools are called but bar the triming knife all the rest are useful to me anyway, so for 5.99 it as a bargain.)

Good deal. Especially as I paid 5.99 for the same "thing that could be used as either a scraper or for filling cracks/holes etc/" in a DIY shop a few weeks ago..

Grrrrrrrr....

Hi All , shop in Lidl mostly
started just running in for a few bits , toilet/kitchen roll etc but now i do my main shop there and "pop" into tesco for the stuff i wont scrimp on like tea ,coffee and bread ,nice smelling washing powder!!!!

here,s what i buy ...
Dishwasher tabs
toilet rolls (aloe vera)
kitchen rolls
shower gel (cien , happy) gorgeous !!
pack of ten kids juices (sooo much cheaper)
6 breaded chicken fillets (very tasty)
frozen pasta meals (spag bol with penne) v.nice
Fresh pizzas are gorgeous (add ur own stuff to them)
biscuits are gorgeous (the wafer and choc ones )
ice-cream hazelnut ,mmnnn
thier pancake mix in a container ,just add water ,v.nice
frozen whole prawns
choco rice & weetabix ,my kids luv em
all of their chocolate is delicious
egg mayo in a tub , gorgeous !!
Cien nappies are excellent
frozen chicken wings are to die for !! spicy or extra spicy
Bottle of rose wine , 4.99 good value

Dont like
w.powder , smells of NOTHING
beans
wafer ham , yuk ,slimy horrible
sausage rolls , rotton
tea/coffee yuk
baby wipes are crap
bread is NEVER fresh and tastes weird
Razor blades "quote" them things make leave my face lookin like a road in the arsehole of kerry "
mens deodorant in silver can smells like flyspray !!

Both Lidl and Aldi have a page (.de) dedicated to products tested by the German Consumer Org. Their products frequently do better than the big name brands.
[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

I'm not sure if we get any of the Aldi products here , much of their stuff on sale here looks very "english"
pjq

Aldi has just opened up down here where I live - so decided to drop down a few days ago -

For anyone who has a taste for crunchy peanuts (was going to just say nuts!!!:)) anyway you must try out CRISPY BITES Biscuits! they are little biscuits make up of sunflower seeds raisins peanuts oats flakes hazelnuts & honey sooooo tasty great if your trying to keep off the owl choc bics - they are in a see-through bag you mush try!

My other best buy in Aldi is the Juicy & Succulent Grapes they are the sweetest seedless grapes I have ever tried !

My last best buy is in Lidl - Now I am sure this ham is a fav with a lot of people (everyone I know just goes in to Lidi to buy this Ham - the make is Dulano & its Smoked Peppered Roast Ham I would eat the whole pack down in one go & always have a stock of it in the fridge!!

So heres my list -

Aldis
Crispy Bites Biscuits
Juicy & succulent seedless grapes

Lidl
Smoked Peppered roast Ham

you wont be disappointed
keeva

"They also do this delicious pack of 4 caramel and shortcake squares that my better half buys (and eats all herself!) "

Those things are so bloody good they are sinful and should be banned.....

"Down with that sort of thing!", "Careful Now" !!!

Unfortunately, I think if you take a look at the content you might see why they taste so nice. Have to agree though - georgeous. Problem for me is that it's hard no to eat the whole 4 when you open the pack. They sort of seem to evaporate.

Murt

Unfortunately, I think if you take a look at the content you might see why they taste so nice. Have to agree though - georgeous. Problem for me is that it's hard no to eat the whole 4 when you open the pack. They sort of seem to evaporate.

Murt
The shortcakes with caramel fudge and trifle biscuit base and supposedly milk choc topping do taste nice but they cost 1.69e for the 4....very expensive!....i won`t be buying them again.
The complete dog food..2.5 k for 2.35 wasn`t available on my last visit....however there is a new 3kilos for 5e.
THE sardines and other fish in the tray cans are very good..can put in pasta etc.
I must admit i do enjoy the deals and bargains and discounted items in tesco,dunnes etc....in lidl just low prices!

To free up some calories for the yummy stuff mentioned earlier, try the Aldi Low Fat smoked ham (Be Light)...it's delish!
If you're feeling decadent, buy the lovely grapes that keeva00 recommended and wrap them in the smoked ham!!.

Aldi/Lidl as well as Tesco/Dunnes and probably other supermarkets sell milk at 2L for €1.19. Tesco also has 3L for €1.79. That's €0.60 per litre which hammers the local convenience stores where I have seen milk for up to twice that per litre!

FYI , dairy farmers get 26.5c / litre for their effort and overnight between the Co-op and Supermarket another 33.5c of value has been added to the Tesxo 3l best value milk. How does little TEsco do it?
pjq

FYI , dairy farmers get 26.5c / litre for their effort and overnight between the Co-op and Supermarket another 33.5c of value has been added to the Tesxo 3l best value milk. How does little TEsco do it?
pjq
Maybe some of this money is EU subsidies and not borne by the retailer or the consumer?

Note that Tesco are joint best value at €0.60/litre with the other stores mentioned.

Aldi/Lidl as well as Tesco/Dunnes and probably other supermarkets sell milk at 2L for €1.19. Tesco also has 3L for €1.79. That's €0.60 per litre which hammers the local convenience stores where I have seen milk for up to twice that per litre!
Even my 'favourite' SPAR have been forced to introduce own-brand milk — about €1.40/2l, I think.

Worth remembering that all this started only when Lidl/Aldi came to town. Before that, Tesco & Dunnes were charging exactly the same price for milk as the small grocers.

Back