What a match

Is this an omen?

Yesterday, for the first time in ages I got a call from a strange number. I didn't recognise the country code immediately so I blocked it after they got bored waiting for me to answer and hung up.

It turns out it was from Czechia, +420 ! Have I missed me chance? After all these years, was there a geansai with my name & number on it waiting as well as a private jet to whizz me over in time for kick-off? Too late now anyway, best of luck lads, I'll be watching.
 
I got a call from a +420 number too for the last few days but it wasn't about a free ticket , ah no......it was about my Revolut account.......which I don't have one ....
 
It is a pity. They had a great chance until one moment of madness, the penalty give away, There wouldn't have been any need for extra time or penalties. Another game of, if only.
They were very good value for their two goal lead though..
 
We got nothing from the ref except the soft penalty, it was like he was over compensating!
Team showing lack of experience \ composure and depth, should have had that game done at 2-0.
It was a real cup tie and momentum was a big factor.
Hit the woodwork twice :(

Both teams were just above average for UEFA standards and might be found out against higher opposition.

It will be interesting to see how Denmark v Czechia plays out, we may have spared ourselves another 2017 type outcome.
 
Our second half performance was poor enough .
I don't know enough about football be be sure but the impression I got was we won the midfield battle in the first half and in the second half of extra time but lost it the rest of the time. It looked to me that there was a huge momentum shift in the second half.
 
Kelliher nedds to watch some GAA to understand the importance of the GK role in ensuring possession fron a kickout. Time after time he pumped it back to them so they coild start coming at us again.
 
It was expected that the Czech team would come out all guns blazing in the second half but 2 nil would have been a good score to defend but 2_1 was a lot to ask. Considering as Joe , above said, we, especially Kelliher kept giving them the ball time and time again and couldn't get on the ball in that second half and extra time we did well to hold on to the penalties. I don't know why the penalty takers don't , particularly when the Czech team had missed, don't put their foot through the ball.....hit it as hard as possible and if the keeper saves it fair play .
 
I'm in a big depressed heap today. Hold the heads up high lads, Chiedozie Ogbene in particular, my Irish man of the match. Time after time he tormented and bullied defenders, got himself into acres of space, but the final pass from team-mates never arrived, I cannot understand why. He had the energy to be back on his own goal line defending a couple of times - what an engine. Troy asked us to stick with them, for sure Bud.
 
The Czechs did the Danes in same way :(
Also big upset Bosnia ko'd Italy on penalties so no Italy for 3rd World Cup in a row.
Sweden ko'd Poland against the run of play.
 
A bit of catch-up here.

Congratulation to the Irish women's soccer team in their second (home-leg) victory over Poland The home fans were a credit to the progress the womens' teams are making in all competitions and vice versa, the old two-way street.

Good result against Italy in the Women's W6N, but we'll have to improve to pose a challenge against France.

Tipperary were way off the pace against Cork yesterday in the Munster Hurling Championship. Too often I saw three Tipp players vainly pursuing a solitary Cork hurler who either pointed or laid off to an unmarked team-mate who scored. Tipp improved in the last 10 or so minutes in the match when it was just beyond their reach. They looked more like a team that has spent the winter in the pub rather than the gym or training ground - slow across the ground and befuddled thinking. Very disappointing performance from the current All Ireland Champions. To be fair, Cork were at the top of their game and deserved the win.
 
The women's soccer team have given themselves a great chance to make the playoffs....good luck to them.
Great win for the women's rugby team also and yes the big test is up next for them..
The Clare/ Waterford game was a decent game and well done to Clare.
Also well done Cork on a great win .Great win too for Galway over Kilkenny.
I feel now that the first round of games are out of the way , the real hurling will start.
Great win for Carlow too....just in case anyone is interested.....
 
The normally restrained Times of London described last night’s game between PSG & Bayern “ Here , the people’s game was elevated to it’s highest form - a game of the Gods “
Perhaps the journalist in question was being restrained, it was better than that !
 
Back
Top