What a bunch of morons

Management at the company said on Tuesday that a planned US$40 million investment at the facility would not proceed if the flexibility and work practice reform proposals were not accepted by staff.

It said that this would lead to the eventual wind down of the plant which currently employs 465 staff.

Genuises.

[broken link removed]

Couldnt agree with you more... one of the SR technics workers,wife send an email into pat kenny,and it nearlly broke my heart:rolleyes:.

They need to remember the effect their militant actions have on their futures..

Let me see, a company is willing to invest US $ 40 Million in Ireland in this economic climate and all they want in return is that the workforce agrees that overtime in future is paid at a lower premium and only ½ of the time is paid and the other banked so that it could be taken off later?

And that is all, there is no pay cuts on their normal salary involved, it’s only the overtime that is the problem here?

And they reject it and congress is supporting them in this?

So instead of saying an investment of US $ 40 Million is going to make our jobs more secure and in the long run it will also create more jobs which means less overtime anyhow so we should support the company these people tell their company to take a hike?

When (and not if) that company winds down these people should not get any social welfare as they have caused this shutdown.

Let me see, a company is willing to invest US $ 40 Million in Ireland in this economic climate and all they want in return is that the workforce agrees that overtime in future is paid at a lower premium and only ½ of the time is paid and the other banked so that it could be taken off later?

And that is all, there is no pay cuts on their normal salary involved, it’s only the overtime that is the problem here?

And they reject it and congress is supporting them in this?

So instead of saying an investment of US $ 40 Million is going to make our jobs more secure and in the long run it will also create more jobs which means less overtime anyhow so we should support the company these people tell their company to take a hike?

When (and not if) that company winds down these people should not get any social welfare as they have caused this shutdown.

This wouldnt be the first time either :mad:
Employers are sick to the teeth of militant workers and their union leaders.
A roller for painting is a new regime for painters and they want more money for a change in work practice as they normally use brushes!!
Its no wonder that we dont see overseas employers here ,and when they do come here the unions are not part of the system

A family member worked there and it was always very unionised. One of those places where you could not plug something in if you were not an electrician. Just heard on the news this evening that they are open to talk tomorrow!

I'm not surprised they want to talk now. Think it has sunk in what total planks they were. Ah it's only 40 million and 465 staff not much really!!!!

I also know someone who works there and is just hanging around waiting to be made redundant!! hes near that age so couldnt give a fiddlers what happens to those he leaves behind,if there is a company at all left.

The older workers and those near retirment tend to be most millitant as they dig their heals in to the employers and wont have to suffer the consequences...

Last edited:
I also know someone who works there and is just hanging around waiting to be made redundant!! hes near that age so couldnt give a fiddlers what happens to those he leaves behind,if there is a company at all left.

The older workers and those near retirment tend to be most millitant as they dig their heals in to the employers and wont have to suffer the consequences...

Would you believe that the person I know used to work there had the exact same conversation with me this afternoon. Feels that they are waiting for some nice redundancy packages as most have many years service.

Would you believe that the person I know used to work there had the exact same conversation with me this afternoon. Feels that they are waiting for some nice redundancy packages as most have many years service.

God! 5 degrees of separation! Ireland really is a small country ;)

I didn't even read the linked article until the end and that was only to get the name of the company.

This is Ireland at the minute, in a microcosm. Ridiculous, and I agree about the social welfare comment above too. They're prepared to go to the Labour Court too ?? Why ? Are the judges golfing buddies of theirs ?

Oh and one more thing....can we stop the rot of the ICTU being referred to as 'Congress' as if they're some higher authority than the Dail or the Seanad...please ? Or maybe they already are :rolleyes:

unfortunately, 12 years of Bertie blowing every spare cent this state raised in taxes has seen people of all classes/ages/professions living a life beyond their means which unfortunately they are now accustomed to, these guys must be extremely unionised/stupid/blinkered not to consider this sort of action is reason alone for a company pulling out of Ireland and locating it somewhere where jobs and income are appreciated not expected.

as someone who never got paid overtime but works plenty of it, nor time in lieu, who started off working at a pittance (training contract), where you do what needs to be done and no-one whips out their employment contract to whine that its not in their job description, all this stuff is staggering.

Am I being exploited?, no. I'm in a profession and, at this stage, am well paid, but I worked just as hard when I was on buttons. I abhor this trade union mentality - people who need to be seen to doing something to back the workers - they live an a parallel universe inhabited but 'fat cat' greedy employers exploiting workers. They should be told to roll the clock forward from 1913. Workers are not "entitled" to jobs, they are lucky if they have them. If employers have it so good why dont "exploited" workers go into business themselves??

With the amount of labour law on the books at the moment there is absolutely no positive role to be played by Trade Unions any longer, labour law protects workers, Trade Unions ruin the economy's competitiveness.

Wasn't the vote to reject the proposals lost by only 30 votes or something. I feel sorry for the workers who had the sense to see the big picture and will now pay the price.

as someone who never got paid overtime but works plenty of it, nor time in lieu, who started off working at a pittance (training contract), where you do what needs to be done and no-one whips out their employment contract to whine that its not in their job description, all this stuff is staggering.

Am i being exploited?, no. I'm in a profession and, at this stage, am well paid, but i worked just as hard when i was on buttons. I abhor this trade union mentality - people who need to be seen to doing something to back the workers - they live an a parallel universe inhabited but 'fat cat' greedy employers exploiting workers. They should be told to roll the clock forward from 1913. Workers are not "entitled" to jobs, they are lucky if they have them. If employers have it so good why dont "exploited" workers go into business themselves??

With the amount of labour law on the books at the moment there is absolutely no positive role to be played by trade unions any longer, labour law protects workers, trade unions ruin the economy's competitiveness.

+1

Am I being exploited?, no. I'm in a profession and, at this stage, am well paid, but I worked just as hard when I was on buttons. I abhor this trade union mentality - people who need to be seen to doing something to back the workers - they live an a parallel universe inhabited but 'fat cat' greedy employers exploiting workers. They should be told to roll the clock forward from 1913. Workers are not "entitled" to jobs, they are lucky if they have them. If employers have it so good why dont "exploited" workers go into business themselves??
With the amount of labour law on the books at the moment there is absolutely no positive role to be played by Trade Unions any longer, labour law protects workers, Trade Unions ruin the economy's competitiveness.
Brilliant post.
couldnt agree with you more.I have to laugh when I hear people say,I gave my life to the company...surely the company gave them a life ,in that the company gave them a job,which allowed them to have a life for themselves and their families.
The way some workers go on ,one would think they worked for nothing,or were doing a life sentance for little or no pay.
When asked to change work practices ,they go ape,and when the company pull out due to the militant practices of workers and unions ,they get on radio shows to complain...

Last edited:
Listening to the lady Trade Union official on Morning Ireland I almost cried for the unfortunate workers. She said the Company ''couldn't be trusted'' and local Management were not easy to deal with. Gosh, imagine the parent company officials in Germany having to listen to this. If I was one of those German officials I would jump at the opportunity to get out of this country. Don't know anything about this Company but assume they pay well. Will they be marching down O'Connell Street this week-end?

Back