Wedding cakes - how much did yours cost

Value doesn't mean cheapest either, so you could pay €2500 for an excellent photographer that supplied a great package, or €1000 for a basic package, and a photographer with less ability.

It all depends on perspective - if you are the dope that has to sit there a few months later to go through every photo in the wedding album, to relive the magical (expensive) day again (and get value for money), then less photos is most definitely more! ;)

Our 'post boom' wedding is costing 35K. There is no recession when it comes to weddings.

Cake is €480 however we are only have 150ish....

I wouldn't have thought so, when you factor in honeymoon I would say that alot of people pay 25-35k on a wedding. I think the national average was 25/27k, so if you have 300 guests, then the costs would push on.
Value doesn't mean cheapest either, so you could pay €2500 for an excellent photographer that supplied a great package, or €1000 for a basic package, and a photographer with less ability. Same goes for music, etc.
€5000 seems to be the average when it comes to the honeymoon, so it all adds up.

TRS30 is having 150 guests, so half the amount that you are stating at 20% higher than average cost. Whether that's value or not is a moot point, it is very expensive. TRS30 has been very coy about giving any sort of details so impossible to tell whether it's value or not, but it is definitely expensive.

Maybe in my naivete I didn't think honeymoons counted as part of the spending on a wedding - it's separate to the "event" in my mind.

It all depends on perspective - if you are the dope that has to sit there a few months later to go through every photo in the wedding album, to relive the magical (expensive) day again (and get value for money), then less photos is most definitely more! ;)

You're obviously not as photogenic as me!

TRS30 is having 150 guests, so half the amount that you are stating at 20% higher than average cost. Whether that's value or not is a moot point, it is very expensive. TRS30 has been very coy about giving any sort of details so impossible to tell whether it's value or not, but it is definitely expensive.

Maybe in my naivete I didn't think honeymoons counted as part of the spending on a wedding - it's separate to the "event" in my mind.

It's not really a moot point though is it, because you said that 'maybe value isn't important to you' implying that someone spending alot of money was wasting cash. It is expensive, but so is a BMW when compared to a Nissan, you can't gauge value when the product isn't exactly the same.

I wouldn't have thought so, when you factor in honeymoon I would say that alot of people pay 25-35k on a wedding. I think the national average was 25/27k, so if you have 300 guests, then the costs would push on.

I wouldnt factor in a honeymoon in the cost of a wedding, its a completely separate cost to the 'wedding'.

I wouldnt have thought many people at all spend 25-35k on a wedding, thats an enormous sum to my mind, I have attended the weddings of many of my friends and would be reasonably privy to what they paid both pre and post recession and I would have though the average was around 16-23k pre recession and now a lot lower.

Perhaps you move in more monied circles than me ;)

Where did you get the figure for the national average? Wonder does it include the honeymoon? It seems very high.

I wouldnt factor in a honeymoon in the cost of a wedding, its a completely separate cost to the 'wedding'.

I wouldnt have thought many people at all spend 25-35k on a wedding, thats an enormous sum to my mind, I have attended the weddings of many of my friends and would be reasonably privy to what they paid both pre and post recession and I would have though the average was around 16-23k pre recession and now a lot lower.

Where did you get the figure for the national average? Wonder does it include the honeymoon? It seems very high.

Main reason I got married was for the honeymoon so definitely included in the cost :)

It's not really a moot point though is it, because you said that 'maybe value isn't important to you' implying that someone spending alot of money was wasting cash. It is expensive, but so is a BMW when compared to a Nissan, you can't gauge value when the product isn't exactly the same.

I don't know why you're disagreeing because you've agreed with my point that it is expensive, that's something that's not in doubt.

Value is of course subjective and seeing as TRS30 hasn't invited us to the wedding, we'll never know if they got value!

Main reason I got married was for the honeymoon so definitely included in the cost :)

Romantic! And interesting. I wouldnt include it because most people go on a holiday in a given year, and a honeymoon is a holiday - albeit perhaps a more expensive one than usually taken.

Excluding honeymoon what would your estimate of the cost be? Feel free not to answer if you would rather not.

Romantic! And interesting. I wouldnt include it because most people go on a holiday in a given year, and a honeymoon is a holiday - albeit perhaps a more expensive one than usually taken.

Excluding honeymoon what would your estimate of the cost be? Feel free not to answer if you would rather not.

I am not going to go into the specific of my wedding. I answered a question and gave a monetary figure in response to the OP post.

Without any specific details certain people have implied that I am 'awash with money', 'value wasn't an issue for you, you didn't bargain, you just went mad'.

I guess internet forums are made for sweeping generalisations and baseless comments.

I don't know why you're disagreeing because you've agreed with my point that it is expensive, that's something that's not in doubt.

Value is of course subjective and seeing as TRS30 hasn't invited us to the wedding, we'll never know if they got value!

Again I will point out that I disagreed with your point that 'perhaps value wasn't an issue.

You only have a honeymoon after a wedding so they go hand in hand really.
People are funny when it comes to talking about what they spend, but from what I can see that no matter how big or small your wedding is, the cost of music, photo, video, dress, etc are the same and its only the dinner that varies. I checked the figure and the national average was €23,500.

You only have a honeymoon after a wedding so they go hand in hand really.

A honeymoon is only a nice holiday, most people have holidays every year or couple of years. Its just termed a 'honeymoon' after a wedding.

So 23.5k as the national average. Cant really comment without knowing whats included but if the honeymoon is included then that does sound about right.

All depends on what people want to do of course, Ive been to a lavish wedding where the couple only went to Westport for a week afterwards because they preferred to spend the money on the reception, whereas some people see it as the chance to do the holiday of a lifetime (I did).

The main thing is that people are happy. Ive dozens of friends who now claim they didnt enjoy their wedding day much, not because of cost, but because of the formality and stress and doing things a certain way because thats what was expected. Id rather see two people do what they want to do and enjoy it.

I understand what a honeymoon is, but it is generally viewed as an excuse to splurge that bit more than on a regular holiday, and often for a longer term.

I understand what a honeymoon is, but it is generally viewed as an excuse to splurge that bit more than on a regular holiday, and often for a longer term.

Disagree, "minimoons" have been the order of the day at at least half of the weddings I have attended in the past 3-4 years, as in, just a few days somewhere cheap-ish.

Generally in my monied circles then. I've never even heard the term minimoon.

but from what I can see that no matter how big or small your wedding is, the cost of music, photo, video, dress, etc are the same and its only the dinner that varies.

I don't agree with this at all; in my experience, there is a large range of costs for music (church music + band + DJ), photographers (good v bad, large album v small album), video (professional v amateur), dress (only a man would say they all cost the same), flowers (some weddings spend crazy money on flowers), free round of drink (can be costly) and so on.

I don't agree with this at all; in my experience, there is a large range of costs for music (church music + band + DJ), photographers (good v bad, large album v small album), video (professional v amateur), dress (only a man would say they all cost the same), flowers (some weddings spend crazy money on flowers), free round of drink (can be costly) and so on.

What I meant was that the size of the wedding party doesn't impact on the list that I laid out. You can pay anything for any service but a band won't charge you more because you are having 300 guests and i'm having 80, they will be the same price.

I am not going to go into the specific of my wedding. I answered a question and gave a monetary figure in response to the OP post.

Without any specific details certain people have implied that I am 'awash with money', 'value wasn't an issue for you, you didn't bargain, you just went mad'.

I guess internet forums are made for sweeping generalisations and baseless comments.

You're deliberately mis-representing my posts, I said that they were possible reasons but as you hadn't and still haven't given any details then they are all speculation.

Back