Wedding cakes - how much did yours cost

After spending the €50 or €500 (whatever) on it, does anyone even eat wedding cake? Any wedding ive been at I havent even seen the cake.....

Me too, including on my own wedding day. I did cut it though, and hotel gave us a knife as a gift, still have it. Cannot believe that a cake cutting costs exists.

So far the highest cost for a cake is 500 Euro, Mongolo can you beat that? Or TRS30. You're probably cheapsakes in comparison with the New York cake.

Truthseeker, just out of interest, did you have to get someone to witness your wedding abroad if it was only the two of you that travelled?

Yes, there was us, our driver (it was in a safari park), a photographer (he was the anti poaching ranger in the safari park who was a sideline photographer), the hotel catering manageress, and the minister.

The hotel catering manageress and the photographer were an engaged couple and they witnessed for us. The driver stood by with a rifle in case of predators ;)

Just to stay on topic, we chose not to have a wedding cake at the hotel or at the party we held when we got back.

Yes, there was us, our driver (it was in a safari park), a photographer (he was the anti poaching ranger in the safari park who was a sideline photographer), the hotel catering manageress, and the minister.

The hotel catering manageress and the photographer were an engaged couple and they witnessed for us. The driver stood by with a rifle in case of predators ;)

Just to stay on topic, we chose not to have a wedding cake at the hotel or at the party we held when we got back.
Where'd you go on Safari?

Yeah I think the majority of people would prefer a letter from the Revenue than a wedding invite.
In the end all your wedding memories are just a blur. You never really remember which one had the nice church, ceremony (shorter the better), flowers, hotel, weather, food, wine, cake, craic, dress, band, cocktail sausages, egg salad sandwiches, residents bar etc with the odd exception

I would still prefer a wedding invite though but thank you for making me laugh! Bronte, yes, our wedding was over that, it cost us 750, incl delivery :D and would not have changed it for the world!

yes, our wedding was over that, it cost us 750, incl delivery :D and would not have changed it for the world!

Well TRS30 can you beat €750 ?

Truthseeker, I so wish I'd done something like your wedding. I hated my own wedding. (sad smily - there's none on the options) But I'm so happy to be married. :)

I too planned to elope but agreed to compromise. My OH picked the hotel, came home with 3 menu choices and that was it. Location and food were superb. Honeymoon was 3 nights in a not plush hotel in Dublin. Safari sounds infinitely better.

I'm still trying to figure out how a cake costs anywhere close to 100K. We haven't even gotton to 1K on AAM.

Where'd you go on Safari?

I dont want to be too specific because it was unusual and I could be identified but it was a very luxurious place in South Africa - I could probably never afford to go there again.

@Bronte - I had already attended around 30 or 40 weddings in the preceding 20 years before I got married myself and I just knew I would have hated a traditional style wedding. It wouldnt be me at all. We actually hadnt planned to elope but had planned a small registry office do with a meal in a restaurant for 15ish people, then the MIL began to interfere and started inviting great aunt bessie and her sons etc... so we just sidled off a few months early and came back married.

Well TRS30 can you beat €750 ?

Truthseeker, I so wish I'd done something like your wedding. I hated my own wedding. (sad smily - there's none on the options) But I'm so happy to be married. :)

I too planned to elope but agreed to compromise. My OH picked the hotel, came home with 3 menu choices and that was it. Location and food were superb. Honeymoon was 3 nights in a not plush hotel in Dublin. Safari sounds infinitely better.

I'm still trying to figure out how a cake costs anywhere close to 100K. We haven't even gotton to 1K on AAM.

Nope, €480.

Ours was a present from my husbands godmother who worked for a bakery! Lovely cake.

For entertainment purposes, you should have a look at Sylvia Weinstock's cakes, she is based in the States, of course.They are spectacular and indeed can come close to 100k, which is absolutely crazy. Another world altogether ....

For entertainment purposes, you should have a look at Sylvia Weinstock's cakes, she is based in the States, of course.They are spectacular and indeed can come close to 100k, which is absolutely crazy. Another world altogether ....

Well you were bank on the money there. How did you even know such a person existed?

The picture of the cake in the Independant, well how did that cost 100K? Edible flowers indeed, very expensive sugar one presumes.

Like almost any good, the very very expensive things in life tend to have no objective justification for the price. There are no possible ingredients that could make a cake cost that much. It is an ostentatious good.

Our cake was made for us by a family member in lieu of a wedding present.

Well you were bank on the money there. How did you even know such a person existed?

The picture of the cake in the Independant, well how did that cost 100K? Edible flowers indeed, very expensive sugar one presumes.

It seems to have been assembled by the maker and a team of assistants, flown in from New York according the the Independent. That bill must have been fairly hefty.

I have to say I rarely ate the cake at a wedding. I think it was mainly the 'oul ones' that went for the cake. I would see it passed around alright but after sculling a few pints you'd have little interest in the cake. Remember you would already have had a long day of getting ready, travelling, mass, waiting around, formal dining, speeches etc so by the time the cake does the rounds you are more interested in having the craic, ceol agus ól.
By midnight you would certainly be very keen to dive into a trough full of cocktail sausages and triangular sandwiches but cake, not for me.

Id love to be able to be materialistic!

Even with means though, I still wouldnt have done my own wedding any other way. I dont enjoy traditional weddings, too samey, tedious, too much emphasis on drinking, long boring parts in the middle of the day where you get hungry, etc.. I have been to many a wedding and none of them seemed to be 'special' and Id be hard pressed to remember one from another. So I wouldnt deem a traditional wedding to be worth spending a lot of money on, even if I had money to burn.

I agree with this. I started a thread on this topic a couple of years ago and was relieved to find that I am far from being the only person who finds traditional wedding receptions too long and very boring and dread having to go to them.

As for the couple who spent €100,000 on a wedding cake, that is obscene. Have these people no sense of perspective?

....As for the couple who spent €100,000 on a wedding cake, that is obscene. Have these people no sense of perspective?

and they put the cost of the cake and the wedding on the family company's books....as a marketing cost
So to answer your question...Yes, they have a sense of perspective which is directly related to their sense of entitlement which derives from the way they country is run and governed (the elite are untouchables)

We didn't have a wedding cake. Most of them taste horrible anyway and we didn't want to spend a fortune on an ornament.

Wedding cakes can consist of igredients to your liking, so you can have a chocolate fudge wedding cake if you like, theres no reason for not liking it if you choose the filling.

Back