Wedding cakes - how much did yours cost

Wedding cakes can consist of igredients to your liking, so you can have a chocolate fudge wedding cake if you like, theres no reason for not liking it if you choose the filling.

Yeah, youre dead right. When I was a child I used to tell my mother I wanted a wedding cake made of swiss rolls (the height of fancy dining to me at age 7 ;)).

. When I was a child I used to tell my mother I wanted a wedding cake made of swiss rolls (the height of fancy dining to me at age 7 ;)).

The best birthday present my OH received was a full swiss roll for himself. He's always remembered it.

I suppose if you're a billionaires daughter 100K isn't a lot on a cake. I would have expected it to be more magnificent though and to have a fountain or something,.

Apparently my own cake was American sponge, cream and fruit and was delicious, and less than 100 Euros. I'll have to dig out the home made video to remember what it looked like but I've no video player anymore. So it might take me a while.

Just a thought, do brides spend more on the dress than the cake? I have a sibling who paid 1K for a dress which I thought was a lot, must ask her how much the cake was, I don't recall any cake whatsoever and that wedding was in the last 10 years.

I have to say I rarely ate the cake at a wedding. I think it was mainly the 'oul ones' that went for the cake.

Reminds me of my brother in laws wedding - It was my first 'country' wedding and there were 200 odd people there, the couple didn't know half of them. I was sitting next to an old lady and she proceeded to pick up the plate of wedding cake which had been set in the middle of the table and she poured all of the slices into her handbag and closed it back up again. She waited for about half an hour and then went around all the tables and cleaned up the cake that was left - putting it all into her handbag. In fairness think she was the only one that actually bothered with the cake.

I get very bored at weddings I have to say, half the time it is a bit of chore going but when friends invite you, you go and put a smile on for the day! My own wedding was very non traditional and more about close friends getting together (50 people) - that said i'm sure it wasn't to all my guests tastes but being good friends they stuck a smile on and went with it!

No wedding cake here either (or church or bridesmaids or best man or first dance).

I find traditional weddings tedious too but like ney001 I'm not so daft as to think that some of the smiling guests at my wedding weren't just being polite.

I get very bored at weddings I have to say, half the time it is a bit of chore going but when friends invite you, you go and put a smile on for the day! My own wedding was very non traditional and more about close friends getting together (50 people) - that said i'm sure it wasn't to all my guests tastes but being good friends they stuck a smile on and went with it!

Truth be told I think most couples do not enjoy their wedding day especially for the larger white weddings. The lead up to the wedding right up until the church is very stressful and exhausting (for the women especially) and they almost always say that the day went too quickly. You often hear that the bride or groom becomes ill after the wedding day or spends the first few days of the honeymoon in bed with exhaustion (and not the horizonal jogging type of exhaustion). Long haul flights dont help.

I was at a black tie wedding a few years ago with 2+ hours of photos and 2 hours of speeches (1 hour for the bride's father - utter waffle). Who could enjoy that?

Truth be told I think most couples do not enjoy their wedding day especially for the larger white weddings.

I agree. I was at a wedding recently where the bride was running about with an A4 sheet of 'order of events' and stressing about minor stuff. Herself and hubby had spent a fortune and were saying even the next morning that they hadnt enjoyed it.

That really depends on the person. I had a ball at my wedding and my oh never left the dancefloor. we had a traditional wedding, and everything ran smoothly (after plenty of planning). Once the day kicked off, we both just went with the flow, speeches were over in about 20/25 mins, dinner served on time, and the band had the place rocking. We both felt from early on that if we worried about everything running 100% then we wouldn't enjoy it, so we did our planning and then put our day in the hands of others.
Most of my friends had good weddings and it is probably down to the casual nature of the people involved.

Truth be told I think most couples do not enjoy their wedding day especially for the larger white weddings.

I think so too and that's why we had a very un-orthodox wedding. Our civil ceremony was administered in a castle where we had a five-course lunch with our immediate families and the closest of close friends (24 in total if I remember correctly) and then a bbq and dancing in the evening with more guests. There were no speeches, no cake and we even had to improvise the first dance as we haven't chosen the song. Instead of the frilly bits (seat covers sprinkled with fairy dust, etc.), we had the bar pre-paid to the tune of €3000 for a total of about 60 guests and another grand as a contingency. Our photos were taken by friends and family and even though there are about 800 photos on CDs, I haven't had a look at them nearly 4 years on. But everyone had a wonderful day because it was relaxed and no hanging around.

Wedding cakes can consist of igredients to your liking, so you can have a chocolate fudge wedding cake if you like, theres no reason for not liking it if you choose the filling.

I'm into folklore and symbolism, and take a piece of wedding cake to put under my pillow. My heart sinks when I see cupcakes or some other trendy variation. I'm not sure which is more horrific, fudge cake in my white cotton, or a 5k finger of cake.

Our 'post boom' wedding is costing 35K. There is no recession when it comes to weddings.

Cake is €480 however we are only have 150ish....

I can't get my head around this. We got married in February, cost was just over 11K total for everything. We had 137 guests after some declines.

There is a recession when it comes to weddings, but you need to work hard for the recession prices. Haggling definitely works, and remember who you know and who they know ;)

I am big into cakes, and so our wedding cake was also the dessert as I wanted something special. We had a 16in base tier of Belgian Chocolate Biscuit Cake, 14in 2nd Tier was Red Velvet Cake, 12in 3rd Tier was Chocolate Fudge, and finally the 10in top tier was traditional fruit cake. The caterers were happy to ensure each table was given a platter of slices to try, so everyone could help themselves to the dessert they wanted to taste and there was plenty of cream, strawberries, etc. etc. served to each table. So many people have since asked me about my cake for their day, it went down a storm.

Cake was provided by a friend in the industry, we designed it together. Total cost came to 480, which for the dessert for 137 people and given its size was a great price.

Mine cost 500 euro back in 2005. traditional iced fruit cake from a bakery in Dun Laoghaire. a tier was kept until 2011 when it was perfectly edible. my wife ate most of it.

I can't get my head around this. We got married in February, cost was just over 11K total for everything. We had 137 guests after some declines.

There is a recession when it comes to weddings, but you need to work hard for the recession prices. Haggling definitely works, and remember who you know and who they know ;)

I am big into cakes, and so our wedding cake was also the dessert as I wanted something special. We had a 16in base tier of Belgian Chocolate Biscuit Cake, 14in 2nd Tier was Red Velvet Cake, 12in 3rd Tier was Chocolate Fudge, and finally the 10in top tier was traditional fruit cake. The caterers were happy to ensure each table was given a platter of slices to try, so everyone could help themselves to the dessert they wanted to taste and there was plenty of cream, strawberries, etc. etc. served to each table. So many people have since asked me about my cake for their day, it went down a storm.

Cake was provided by a friend in the industry, we designed it together. Total cost came to 480, which for the dessert for 137 people and given its size was a great price.

Guess it depends on where you get married, go on honeymoon etc.

Considering you know no details about the wedding at all, I dont know why you cant 'get your head around it'.

Guess it depends on where you get married, go on honeymoon etc.

Considering you know no details about the wedding at all, I dont know why you cant 'get your head around it'.

Well considering you gave no details at all about your wedding it's not surprising that the poster had difficulty getting their heads around your statement that there were no recessions when it comes to weddings - perhaps value wasn't an issue for you, you didn't bargain, you just went mad or any other reason but 35k for a wedding nowadays would be the exception I would think.

Well considering you gave no details at all about your wedding it's not surprising that the poster had difficulty getting their heads around your statement that there were no recessions when it comes to weddings - perhaps value wasn't an issue for you, you didn't bargain, you just went mad or any other reason but 35k for a wedding nowadays would be the exception I would think.

With no details and so many variables involved a money amount on it's own is meanless and could represent great value for money just as 11k could be completely over the odds.

I wouldn't have thought so, when you factor in honeymoon I would say that alot of people pay 25-35k on a wedding. I think the national average was 25/27k, so if you have 300 guests, then the costs would push on.
Value doesn't mean cheapest either, so you could pay €2500 for an excellent photographer that supplied a great package, or €1000 for a basic package, and a photographer with less ability. Same goes for music, etc.
€5000 seems to be the average when it comes to the honeymoon, so it all adds up.

Back