Warning to landlords considering HAP tenants

Well then you get a holiday on mortgage and bills and all other costs until the rent is paid again as the banks and utility companies have said. People get behind on their mortgage. People get behind on their rent. We have hundreds of thousands of people who have lost jobs or on short time work in the past couple of weeks. Maybe, now is not the time to be worrying about mortgages and bills (Noone is going to have their house taken off them or lose their utilities over this.) This crisis is so far beyond financial. Look at the pictures and videos coming out of Italy. This is a battle to save lives. Of course there will be people who abuse every situation. Not much we can do about that.
It’s not a holiday though. You’ll still have to pay your bills afterwards, without any income from the rent.

Surely you are profiting from government interference if all your tenant bar one are HAP?
Because my rents are all way below market rates. But right now I don’t actually care anymore as I’m now glad I’ve a guaranteed income.

Hi, Question on this. If you get a list of repairs and cannot afford to do them what happens? Do you evict the tenant? or do you have to wait for the lease term to be up?

A tenant can take a case against their landlord to the RTB regarding standard and maintenance of a dwelling.

All sensible landlords retain a cash reserve at all times to address ongoing maintenance and repairs.

But in reality you can just evict them at the end of the lease term and find another non hap tenant.

But in reality you can just evict them at the end of the lease term and find another non hap tenant.
After six months, a tenancy can only be terminated, with appropriate notice, for certain stated reasons.

Not wanting to address maintenance issues is not a valid reason for terminating such a tenancy.

I have been reading the posts here re HAP and it might be considered madness on my part to even entertain the notion of buying a house ( one for sale locally ) at a fairly good price E140k , which I can pay for from savings , with a view to renting it out . My main thinking ( with still a lot of research and reading to do ) is to generate a better return for savings . Other savings are held in State Savings certs .

Am i correct in thinking that I would be liable for tax at 41% on rental income . I work in the civil service , no mortgage thankfully , and wonder if taxation on rental properties can be paid without interfering with taxation from my employment ie: could the two be kept separate ?
The prospect of handing over 41% in tax might well put a halt to my gallop though !
Thank you .

It's only the high rate on that part of your income over the threshold and after expenses and allowances. You have to look at everything combined.

No one pays the full rate on all their income.

However you need to maintain a float of many thousands to cover repairs, and non payment and over holding off if you get unlucky. So your cashflow has to sustain that.

I have been reading the posts here re HAP and it might be considered madness on my part to even entertain the notion of buying a house ( one for sale locally ) at a fairly good price E140k , which I can pay for from savings , with a view to renting it out . My main thinking ( with still a lot of research and reading to do ) is to generate a better return for savings . Other savings are held in State Savings certs .

Am i correct in thinking that I would be liable for tax at 41% on rental income . I work in the civil service , no mortgage thankfully , and wonder if taxation on rental properties can be paid without interfering with taxation from my employment ie: could the two be kept separate ?
The prospect of handing over 41% in tax might well put a halt to my gallop though !
Thank you .
My advice would, based on your information above regarding Taxation is this type of investment is DEFINITELY not for you.
Letting is a business, not for amateurs.

Hi aLL

Thank you .

You could of course rent the house to the council under a long term lease. You would receive c. 80% of the market rent but would not have any landlord responsibilities. The council would look after all repairs etc. You would not be able to deduct anything from the rental income (capital allowances etc) so you might not be interested per your post but it would take away the landlord headache.

Anyone know in relation to HAP if my rent is 1000 per month and a tenant is approved for 600 a month do I get the full rental payment from the council of 1000 or do i only get the 600 and tenant pays the other 400 (two amounts into my account every month)

If the LA HAP allowance payable is €650 per month, is this the max the council will pay or will they pay over this amount. I have a house which I am renting for the first time and I hope to get €850 per month

I'm interested in the position on the query imalwayshappy raised as well - anyone know the position?

If the LA HAP allowance payable is €650 per month, is this the max the council will pay or will they pay over this amount. I have a house which I am renting for the first time and I hope to get €850 per month

This has already been covered here and on the HAP site. The Tenant pays their contribution to the LA, the landlord receives full rental payment from the LA.

Back