Volkswagen Beetle/MX5/Toyota Celica etc.

Re: Volkswagen Beetle.

I would definitely.
MX5 is almost bullet proof which is amazing considering how much harder they are usually driven. VWs are not the same build quality they used to be and hence there's been a huge VW overhaul at management level this year

Wanna read my quote again there Sunster?:D

Whilst it's good to get advise from What Car/AAM you really should drive the cars yourself. I don't think anyone would argue that a Beetle is more reliable than a Maxda, but reliablility isn't everything. I've had 2 Jap cars in the past and found them tinny and light. I have a German car now which was been to the garage for small jobs but is worth it for the solid drive I get...

True. The bigger and heavier vehicle generally does more damage to the other car in an accident, and suffers least. In single car accidents theres no difference. Thus buy the biggest heaviest thing you can.

True. The bigger and heavier vehicle generally does more damage to the other car in an accident, and suffers least. In single car accidents theres no difference. Thus buy the biggest heaviest thing you can.

Hummer it is so!

You might not want to argue the point but it's simply completely untrue about VW reliability over Mazda.

http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/news-story.jsp?news_id=15708&ref=archive

Mazda are up there with Honda and Toyota in terms of reliability of their cars.

VW market their cars very well. The facts however in surveys speak for themselves.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/germany/article/0,2763,1013589,00.html

Lots of myths in the car industry...and I also know tonnes of people working in the car industry at various levels all of whom will tell you something different. The truth about cars often tends to be different.

I'd agree with this, and especially the myth of VW reliability. It's interesting to see some hard evidence rather than blind opinion, based on tiny samples (usually one or two cars).

I'm amazed that VW manage to hold onto their reputation (and hence maintain good resale values) as well as they do.

I'm amazed that VW manage to hold onto their reputation (and hence maintain good resale values) as well as they do.

By all accounts it's only going to get worse as they've made a decision next year to build the golf more cheaply (the new model).

Marketing is a wonderful thing.

My Audi is less reliable than my old Ford. My friends E class Merc is a joke as far as reliability is concerned.

By all accounts it's only going to get worse as they've (VW) made a decision next year to build the golf more cheaply (the new model).

Marketing is a wonderful thing.

Yep. They are dropping independent rear suspension and making other cost cutting measures. Advantage to the Ford Focus (which has had control blade rear suspension - and better ride & handling as a result - since 1998).

Dropping independent rear suspension won't make a blind bit of difference to sales. 99% of Golf buyers wouldn't care.

Reliability is important when buying a car but not the be all and end all. I have a 318i. It has been to the garage twice for small jobs & service in the last 12 months...glad to pay the money for the better drive I get compared to my last 2 Nissans...esp on long drives when it sticks to the road. The oul fella has a Toyota and another relative has a newish Vectra and the materials inside both don't come close to what you get in a VW

if you have more than 1 friend you will not be able to drive them about in an MX5, as great a car as it is.....

if you have more than 1 friend you will not be able to drive them about in an MX5, as great a car as it is.....

That can be a good thing.

Dropping independent rear suspension won't make a blind bit of difference to sales. 99% of Golf buyers wouldn't care.

The Golf Mrk III and IV used to make me almost car sick they rolled and bounced so much. But I agree, sadly most people won't notice.

Reliability is important when buying a car but not the be all and end all. I have a 318i. It has been to the garage twice for small jobs & service in the last 12 months...glad to pay the money for the better drive I get compared to my last 2 Nissans...esp on long drives when it sticks to the road.

That would depend on which Nissan you talking about. some older models were great handling cars and the current 350z not too shabby.

The oul fella has a Toyota and another relative has a newish Vectra and the materials inside both don't come close to what you get in a VW

True, the germans usually make great interiors.

The oul fella has a Toyota and another relative has a newish Vectra and the materials inside both don't come close to what you get in a VW

I disagree. They both make poor interiors.

The difference is the Japs make really atrocious interiors and don't make any apologies for it.

How could anyone think VW make a nice interior?? It's incredibly dull and boring. They might be slightly nicer materials but they ain't that nice!!!

If you remortgage your house you can get stuff like an armrest though - woo hoo!!! ;)

Well there's many manufacturers that do better interiors - Ranualt for one. Alfa Romeo?!!

Actually, BMW do nicer interiors too...and boring VW interiors is also a given from most reviewers and car mags. Even the Japs have upped their game of recent years. The looks of the Primera are debatable, and it's not exactly a wonderful drive or anything but at least they've been trying with the interior. It's a far cry from the previous model Primera in terms of interior pleasantness.

Extras...that's how you make your boring VW a little more attractive. Granted this is the case for a lot of motors but VW are legendary for really giving you not that much at all for your hard earned cash until you've parted with a great deal more money for things like an armrest!

There's a difference between the stuff that comes with the car like armrests, lecky windows etc and the quality of the materials in the cars. VW are prob the worst for extras...their basic models are BASIC. The quality of their plastics and the solid drive the give leave the Jap cars feeling like tin cans though. It's personal preference though at the end of the day.

My own belief is that a lot of the more expensive german cars are co. cars so those driving them aren;'t concerned about reliability.

Well there's many manufacturers that do better interiors - Ranualt for one. Alfa Romeo?!!

Bit tacky IMO. Not very durable are they though.

Actually, BMW do nicer interiors too...

...and even more expensive for an armrest.

...and boring VW interiors is also a given from most reviewers and car mags. Even the Japs have upped their game of recent years. The looks of the Primera are debatable, and it's not exactly a wonderful drive or anything but at least they've been trying with the interior. It's a far cry from the previous model Primera in terms of interior pleasantness.

I wouldn't rate the current Primera. The instruments are offset in the middle of the car, which does nothing for the ergonomics, and putting themout of your sight lines. What else is different about the primera? Cheaper materials and bland. They made it worst to drive, the old Primera was a crackng drive.

Result they've not sold well at all. Hardly a good example.

Extras...that's how you make your boring VW a little more attractive. Granted this is the case for a lot of motors but VW are legendary for really giving you not that much at all for your hard earned cash until you've parted with a great deal more money for things like an armrest!

Cheaper and less desirable cars need more kit to compete. More desirable cars don't. Its that simple.

My own belief is that a lot of the more expensive german cars are co. cars so those driving them aren;'t concerned about reliability.

I think most people don't know that much about cars. Fleet managers included. They just accept the marketing.

I think most people don't know that much about cars. Fleet managers included. They just accept the marketing.

Or maybe the odd kickback ;)

I had a 2002 Primera and had it back to the garage. They gave me the older 2000 model 1.8 and I didn't want to give it back....a far better drive. The central console in the Primera used to drive me crazy....interesting to see BMW opt for a similiar iDrive wheel can't say I find it appealing

I think the center console, also on the Yaris is a nod towards manufacturing right and left hand drive verions. The new BMW interiors with the center display have been critised as being less than the more driver focused interiors of the earlier models.

Bit tacky IMO. Not very durable are they though.

...and even more expensive for an armrest.

Well no they're not you're right. So I suppose we're on slightly different platforms here. I'll give you that you're standard VW has better more durable materials...
But they're incredibly boring. At least an Alfa looks the part...even if all the buttons will break when you press them too hard ;)

I wouldn't rate the current Primera. The instruments are offset in the middle of the car, which does nothing for the ergonomics, and putting themout of your sight lines. What else is different about the primera? Cheaper materials and bland. They made it worst to drive, the old Primera was a crackng drive.

Result they've not sold well at all. Hardly a good example.

I wouldn't rate the Primera as a good drive either but they've sold very well...they're everywhere for god sake!!! Can't walk down the road for fear of tripping over one!

Cheaper and less desirable cars need more kit to compete. More desirable cars don't. Its that simple.

I'd agree with that if it were true about the basic Golf (if you're lumping that in with desirable cars)...but it's not.

Back