Volkswagen Beetle/MX5/Toyota Celica etc.

Northerngirl

Anyone got advice on whether I should invest in a 2005/06 model. Im single female driver, doing approx 10,000 in a year. Want something nice to look at, but also reliable, which holds value. Also considering Toyota Cellica??

Re: Volkswagen Beetle.

Beetle isn't that great - built on old Golf platform as far as I know.

Go for a Mazda MX-5 or a Mini Cooper.

Both good fun to drive. Mazda will be more reliable and arguably a better car too.

Don't have specifics but remember seeing a lot of negative motoring press about the beetle. Beetle people usually fit the profile of Mini people (no offence intended if this is inaccurate!) and as Gabriel says, mini is a much better car than the beetle.

What about new Civic also?

A nice choice. MINI will hold value really well. MX5 is rwd and a better drive imho. Choice of soft and hard tops too.

Budget is about 15 grand (euro). Really like the Mazda MX (had great reviews in WhatCar), but think its out of my budget.

What about a 04 Golf (new model)?
Reliable, hold their value and a three door Sportsline looks pretty good.
You'd get one for around 15K

MX5 is rwd and a better drive imho.
-Sorry dont understand the lingo??

Rear Wheel Drive...personally I wouldn't touch a Mazda with a barge pole.
German engineering-the way forward!

Rear Wheel Drive...personally I wouldn't touch a Mazda with a barge pole.
German engineering-the way forward!

Eh?

For starters German engineering is often overrated - VW being a classic example.

Secondly Mazda make some great cars - the 6 being a good example.

MX-5 is generally considered to be the best affordable roadster for about the last 15 years.

RWD means that the power from the engine goes to the rear wheels and not the front ones. This is a good setup...power comes from the rear and steering is done by the front wheels. Also makes for a fun drive and the car is very controllable.

It's only stumbling point is that it has a bit of a girly image - but in this case that wouldn't be a problem :)

For 15K you'd get a very good one - don't get hung up on the year!

(http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=691030)

I dont have a garage. Surely you would need some cover particularly in the Winter??

Eh?

For starters German engineering is often overrated - VW being a classic example.

Secondly Mazda make some great cars - the 6 being a good example.

MX-5 is generally considered to be the best affordable roadster for about the last 15 years.

RWD means that the power from the engine goes to the rear wheels and not the front ones. This is a good setup...power comes from the rear and steering is done by the front wheels. Also makes for a fun drive and the car is very controllable.

It's only stumbling point is that it has a bit of a girly image - but in this case that wouldn't be a problem :)

For 15K you'd get a very good one - don't get hung up on the year!

(http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=691030)

I don't want to get into an argument over this but I've some good friends involved in the car business at different levels. I've been told specifically that Mazda is high margin high commissiopn for the salesmen and quite simply not as good quality as Volkswagen for example. The also lose their value quicker, something which the OP is concerned about.
Based on what I know I would not buy one myself or recommend one.
It's like advising someone not to buy a Fiat because they are unreliable and depreciate quickly. You'll always get someone who'll disagree and say they're great...but they're not.
If you've a choice between buying a Volkswagen and a Mazda buy the Volkwagen and you won't go far wrong (having checked the obvious stuff)

Mrs Firefly has a Beetle and adores it. She has a 1.6 and it's peppy enough for her needs. The car has been to the garage a few times but nothing big at all. Boot is a joke and the dash in front of you is massive (explaining the small boot). They're pretty wide too. I think when you buy a Beetle or Mini you buy with your heart cos you love them.

I don't want to get into an argument over this but I've some good friends involved in the car business at different levels. I've been told specifically that Mazda is high margin high commissiopn for the salesmen and quite simply not as good quality as Volkswagen for example. The also lose their value quicker, something which the OP is concerned about.
It's like advising someone not to buy a Fiat because they are unreliable and depreciate quickly. You'll always get someone who'll disagree and say they're great...but they're not.
If you've a choice between buying a Volkswagen and a Mazda buy the Volkwagen and you won't go far wrong (having checked the obvious stuff)

You might not want to argue the point but it's simply completely untrue about VW reliability over Mazda.

http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/news-story.jsp?news_id=15708&ref=archive

Mazda are up there with Honda and Toyota in terms of reliability of their cars.

VW market their cars very well. The facts however in surveys speak for themselves.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/germany/article/0,2763,1013589,00.html

Btw...a new Golf costs ~ 31-32k (with any decent extras). As does an MX-5 (not exactly like for like I know).
A 7 year old of both cost ~ the same.

Lots of myths in the car industry...and I also know tonnes of people working in the car industry at various levels all of whom will tell you something different. The truth about cars often tends to be different.

I agree. Mazda are well made and pretty relaible. Their bigger cars loose value quicker. The MX5 will be reliable. Buy a hardtop for the winter.

VW have a perceived notion of quality, but the reality is a bit different. The 1.9TDI engine is old school at this stage. Relatively unrefined and agricultural. They are generally well overpriced too.

I like the Golf GTI btw.

Beetle 1.4 will hold it's value pretty well but won't be too thrilling.

I have driven VW (Passat and Golf) and Mazda (Mazda 6) and confiscated my wife's MX5 :D and IMHO Mazda’s are far superior cars from a drive, build quality and reliability point of view. I now drive an A4 soft top, 1.8T petrol and while it’s a great car the MX5 was 10 times as much fun.
The Beatle will bore you to death, as will the Golf (and the electrics will break your heart). Go for the MX5 (or a Ford Focus, but not a Golf!)

Back