Visa Electron Card

Apologies if my earlier post was confusing gunnerfitzy , what I was trying to say is that a 4101 card is whats required from Entropay. There are Electron cards from other providers that start with different digits , 4917 being one of these.

Apologies if my earlier post was confusing gunnerfitzy , what I was trying to say is that a 4101 card is whats required from Entropay. There are Electron cards from other providers that start with different digits , 4917 being one of these.

no problem.

Just a note that An Post One4all gift cards are Euro Visa Electron cards issued by Bank of Ireland. So anywhere that accepts One4all cards probably accepts Visa Electron too (and vice versa.). Doesn't help with Ryanair as a) it's a Euro card b) You don't know the cardholder name.

It will work perfectly ok on Ryanair. So long as it is a visa electron card it will work.

How much do these cards cost?

Just a note that An Post One4all gift cards are Euro Visa Electron cards issued by Bank of Ireland. So anywhere that accepts One4all cards probably accepts Visa Electron too (and vice versa.). Doesn't help with Ryanair as a) it's a Euro card b) You don't know the cardholder name.

Are you sure you can't use it with Ryanair?

I can't see it mention anything about Visa Electron..

The [broken link removed] can only be used for cardholder present transactions as they don't have a public cardholder name (quite funny when the shop assistant asks you to sign for the transaction as per normal Visa procedures, only to realise they don't have a signature to compare it to!). Also, like the MBNA gift cards (now defunct?), you can't top them up. And they expire after 12 months - use it or lose it!

But will they work on Ryanair if you use your name as the cardholder name?

The entropay cards don't have a cardholder name either but work online with no issues.

But will they work on Ryanair if you use your name as the cardholder name?

The entropay cards don't have a cardholder name either but work online with no issues.

That's true.

Has anyone actually tried using a one4all card on the Ryanair website?

I opened a current account in Spain with Halifax. Got a Visa Electron. I think I pay something like €20 a year account fees. But transferring money into the account is easy and I use it all the time for Ryanair AND Aer Lingus. As the account is EURO there is no foreign currency charges. Saves me at least €100 a year.

I have a Portuguese bank account and the card I got with the account had Visa Electron on it.

I'll try using this the next time I'm booking flights and I'll post the outcome.

Regards
Homer

Has anyone actually tried using a one4all card on the Ryanair website?

I just found the cheapest Ryanair flight I could and tried to buy it with my one4all card, marking it as a Visa electron card. It wasn't accepted. It could be because of the BIN prefix issues referred to earlier in the thread, but I suspect the lack of a registered cardholder is also an issue. Note An Post's merchant documentation and the cardnumber BIN prefix both confirm it is a Visa Electron card.

The entropay cards don't have a cardholder name

Are you saying it doesn't matter what you enter in the cardholder name field for these cards? I assumed since the entropay account is registered to a single person the cards would be too.

As stated earlier, only a sterling visa electron card will work with ryanair. Put enough in it initially as there is a small fee for transferring funds to it. We are saving lots with it re. ryanair flights. No more C.C. charges....

Maybe the question at this point is why should we all be struggling to obtain visa electron cards from other countries, and not have the option available to get one in Ireland? I had one when I lived in spain and was able to use it in exactly the same way as a visa card, but safe in the knowledge I was using only funds available and not running up any debt. I have asked several banks here only to be told in a condescending manner that if I 'manage' my visa card properly I will have no problems. I duly got my visa card, opted to pay the full amount off every month, and then discovered that because of the way they take the money (the last balance owed at the last bill, not the full amount owing at the time of the debit) I incurred extra fees. What I want to have is a debit card with visa recognition on websites such as ryanair etc, and not a credit card. How on earth did we get lumbered with Laser and is there nothing we can do about it??

Back