Visa Electron Card

With regard to the 10€ depature tax , if one gets a foreign resident friend (for example in Holland) to buy return flights to Holland for me in my name , do I still pay the tax or does that tax also apply to non resident purchasers ?

Any departing passenger (who ever he is) pays the 10€ it's not depending on where the ticket was purchased, it's because you leave this beautifull country. This is why it is so bad for tourists.

Agree with the above, your leaving airport is Ireland so obviously you're departing from this country.

I opened a current account in Spain with Halifax. Got a Visa Electron. I think I pay something like €20 a year account fees. But transferring money into the account is easy and I use it all the time for Ryanair AND Aer Lingus. As the account is EURO there is no foreign currency charges. Saves me at least €100 a year.

Do you need a Spanish address?

I've found lots of Electron cards in EU countries, but al seem to require an address in that country.

No Spanish address required. I gave my Irish address. They will even mail your statement to your Irish address. :)

I have a visa electron card issued by Abbey National bank in Uk not many places take it here. O2.ie wont take to top up.

It is mainly bricks and mortar shops that will accept Visa Electron.
There are a few online places that accept it such as Ryanair and play.com.

Anyone know the reason Aer Lingus waive the fee for Visa Electron and not for Laser/Maestro?

Anyone know the reason Aer Lingus waive the fee for Visa Electron and not for Laser/Maestro?

AFAIK businesses are not charged by visa for accepting electron payments. Is there a small fee that aerlingus must pay for accepting debit cards??

AFAIK businesses are not charged by visa for accepting electron payments. Is there a small fee that aerlingus must pay for accepting debit cards??

I think it's 20 cent per transaction, regardless of the transaction amount.

Correct. It is a small fixed fee per transaction. I would say that Aer Lingus have this negotiated down to as low as 15 cent due to the volume they have.

I opened a current account in Spain with Halifax. Got a Visa Electron. I think I pay something like €20 a year account fees. But transferring money into the account is easy and I use it all the time for Ryanair AND Aer Lingus. As the account is EURO there is no foreign currency charges. Saves me at least €100 a year.

Curious, tried to open an account with Halifax using a UK address. Halifax's computer detected that I was using a computer in Germany (second home) and refused to complete the registration.

Just to clarify, it is Halifax Spain that issues Visa Electron Cards. Halifax Ireland does not issue them and Halifax UK only issues them on certain accounts where the account holder is under 18 years of age!!

Details on how to open an account with Halifax Spain are contained here

Have you actually used this card to book flights with Ryanair & Aer Lingus.? In a previous post (Post No. 43) on this forum TheShark pointed out that these airlines would not accept any Visa Electron cards that began with anything other than 4101.
Can you please confirm if you have used your card to book and also if it begins with 4101.?

Have you actually used this card to book flights with Ryanair & Aer Lingus.? In a previous post (Post No. 43) on this forum TheShark pointed out that these airlines would not accept any Visa Electron cards that began with anything other than 4101.
Can you please confirm if you have used your card to book and also if it begins with 4101.?

I have used my card on a minimum of 10 bookings each with ryanair and aer lingus. it has never been declined. card begins with 4917. hope this helps.

Back