Use Revolut as my main bank, but my account is frozen and I can't get them to fix it

Revolut got a qualified audit opinion this year for its 2021 accounts from its auditor. That is an extremely rare occurrence for a company (never mind a Bank!) to get and should ring alarm bells for whoever has an account with them myself included. I now ensure there's not more than a couple of hundred euro in the account unless im going to use it to buy something in a foreign currency.

Reuters

LONDON, March 1 (Reuters) - Revolut Ltd's auditor BDO LLP was not able to independently verify three-quarters of the 636 million pounds ($765 million) of revenue reported by the fintech firm in its long-delayed 2021 accounts.

The accounts were signed off this week after months of delays, following a revamp of Revolut's internal accounting systems and heavy regulatory scrutiny.

In Revolut's annual report, BDO was quoted as saying that the financial statements gave a "true and fair view of the state of the group", although it warned that some information may be "materially misstated".

Yes, and a lot of their mortgage holders carried on the theme and saw no reason why they should make their mortgage repayments when there was no sanction for not doing so.

Brendan
To be fair, there's a huge qualitative and quantitative difference between not paying day to day banking charges because the bank doesn't levy them and somebody welching on their mortgage contract.

Guys
The point I was making is that KBC left Ireland because of the losses on their lending and not on the unprofitability of their general banking.

The free banking was to get customers who would take out profitable mortgages.

Brendan

Guys
The point I was making is that KBC left Ireland because of the losses on their lending and not on the unprofitability of their general banking.

The free banking was to get customers who would take out profitable mortgages.

Brendan
Watching this thread ..also a KBC user & Revolut user , have an EBS account in tandem ( not used much in recent years had some form filling to re activate it ) so currently have set up all direct debits from EBS ( mortgage, utilities , savings etc..) and day to day spending is still with KBC ...we will remain until we can. very last minute !

Going from the KBC platform to EBS platform equates to going from 5 star to 2 star ...sorry to see KBC exit the Irish market, their customer service and their app is /was super , and I am loathe to pay any bank fees for minding our money , so we will stick with 2 star for now. I got an email from Revolut last month to say they are researching joint accounts and their viability in the Irish market. In my enthusiasm I immediately expressed interest but after reading this tread , it looks like we are doomed with the EBS account for now ( no app, need user ID number , customer passcode & 2 step verification to access on a laptop )

Thanks to OP for raising this issue with Revolut and I am happy to see you got sorted eventually after a lot of heartburn

That's 720 euro per decade. If I invested the 72 euro per year (120 per year @ 40% tax refund) into a pension fund, I would have a nice nest egg after 10 years.
Why pay when there are free options.
EBS for wages. Revolut and N26 for everyday transactions and bill payments.
Yes I think that is the way to go

Watching this thread ..also a KBC user & Revolut user , have an EBS account in tandem ( not used much in recent years had some form filling to re activate it ) so currently have set up all direct debits from EBS ( mortgage, utilities , savings etc..) and day to day spending is still with KBC ...we will remain until we can. very last minute !

Going from the KBC platform to EBS platform equates to going from 5 star to 2 star ...sorry to see KBC exit the Irish market, their customer service and their app is /was super , and I am loathe to pay any bank fees for minding our money , so we will stick with 2 star for now. I got an email from Revolut last month to say they are researching joint accounts and their viability in the Irish market. In my enthusiasm I immediately expressed interest but after reading this tread , it looks like we are doomed with the EBS account for now ( no app, need user ID number , customer passcode & 2 step verification to access on a laptop )

Thanks to OP for raising this issue with Revolut and I am happy to see you got sorted eventually after a lot of heartburn

Thank you @telco, I am glad it has been useful to share what happened to me. A fair amount of people are about to make hurried decisions in the next week or two before the final curtain comes down at KBC. I feel same about hanging on til last minute btw! Still using. Will miss the KBC app, it was a pleasure compared to other bank apps I've seen or used. You have more tolerance than me to be able to stick with that EBS experience though. For my part, suddenly "free" didn't seem so important after the Revolut episode, but each of us has our own line in the sand I guess.

I'm using Revolut as my main bank account for the past 5 months with government salary being paid in. I've had no issues whatsoever and the app is far superior to offerings from Irish banks. I don't keep a big balance as I transfer funds into a savings account.

I've had no issues whatsoever

Hi finlma

I have had no issues with my AIB account for the last couple of years. But when I do have an issue, I will be able to speak to someone to sort it.

The problem with Revolut is that it works well most of the time, but when there is a problem, there really is no way of fixing it.

Brendan

The problem with Revolut is that it works well most of the time, but when there is a problem, there really is no way of fixing it.
This is not true.
Revolut operate a system of online agents who deal with problems very efficiently when they are given a clear explanation of the issues.
I have used this service a few times and on every occasion the issues were dealt with swiftly and satisfactory.

A fair amount of people are about to make hurried decisions in the next week or two before the final curtain comes down at KBC.
Yes, it’s an absolute disgrace that KBC and Ulster Bank have only just announced that they’re leaving Ireland.

They should give people sufficient notice.

People shouldn’t be forced into hurried decisions in the next week or two.

This is not true.
Revolut operate a system of online agents who deal with problems very efficiently when they are given a clear explanation of the issues.
I have used this service a few times and on every occasion the issues were dealt with swiftly and satisfactory.
HI S class, in my case, the issue was on their side (in-app selfie function would not work to allow pin update, in addition, their system would not issue a pin update email to me). When they couldn't fix it, the agent's response was to pull down the shutters and leave me without chat access for 5 days. The inital block of my account happened because my salary was paid into the account. Believe me, they had clear and concise details about what the problem was.

To be fair, there's a huge qualitative and quantitative difference between not paying day to day banking charges because the bank doesn't levy them and somebody welching on their mortgage contract.
True, but all the same if you position yourself in a market by offering certain key services for free, you'll invariably attract an element that won't pay you for anything.

Yes, it’s an absolute disgrace that KBC and Ulster Bank have only just announced that they’re leaving Ireland.

They should give people sufficient notice.

People shouldn’t be forced into hurried decisions in the next week or two.
While hillarious, your point is unhelpdul and moot. There are still people remaining who have not made the move to a new bank.

The choices have not been great out there, not at all strange that some people have dragged their feet. Some people may have been waiting for the long anticipated Irish ibans from Revolut,. Several press articles have sprung up about Revolut's expanding offering being an option for those looking for banking services.

There are still people remaining who have not made the move to a new bank.

The choices have not been great out there, not at all strange that some people have dragged their feet. Some people may have been waiting for the long anticipated Irish ibans from Revolut,. Several press articles have sprung up about Revolut's expanding offering being an option for those looking for banking services.
Yes, the technical term for those people is “idiots”.

Any perceived lack of choice is the moot point; this is a critical relationship for most people’s day to day financial life.

Any who hasn’t done anything at this stage is reckless.

What about Revolut’s dispute with their auditors, BDO, and BDO’s contention that Revolut have been misstating their turnover? Several press articles have sprung up about that as well.

Revolut is not a viable or sensible option for one’s “real” banking.

I'm using Revolut as my main bank account for the past 5 months with government salary being paid in. I've had no issues whatsoever and the app is far superior to offerings from Irish banks. I don't keep a big balance as I transfer funds into a savings account.
5 months is a relatively short time, and you've been lucky. I've been using it for a few years and I've been locked out on 3 separate occasions because of failings on their part. With the exception of one of the times it was painful to try and sort. I also know a fair few people who had something similar happen. I'd have been goosed had it been my only account as I was locked out for two weeks at one stage because of some automated AML block which was triggered by a €20 transaction!

I've used Revolut as my standard current account for over a year. I've had no real problems and the odd time I've had to engage with support via the app, they have been fairly responsive.

Do I fully trust Revolut as a company? Nope. But I don't really "trust" any financial institution and I don't know why people think more traditional banks are any more secure. As long as I'm protected by the Deposit Guarantee Scheme, I consider Revolut a good option.

I always have some funds elsewhere, just in case there is an access issue. But I do think this can happen with many banks, especially if you have the hard luck of being put through to a particularly clueless support agent.

You're not going to use Revolut for a mortgage or a savings account, but for day-to-day budgeting/transactions/spending the user experience is generally excellent.

If you want to see a real basket case, open an An Post Money account. Let's just say it puts things in perspective...

I know, I questioned it strongly, but they insisted it was nessesary so that they would know that anything they sent me by email could not be compromised. They proceeded to send me nothing by email
Might be stating the obvious, so apologies, but maybe the email went to your spam or some other folder?

I've gone the 3 account route.

Main - Bunq
Secondary - AIB basic
And Revolut just for odds and ends and travel

AIB basic because I can still receive a couple of cheques from people and need a place to lodge them. And if I ever win a few bob at the races, they accept cash

€36/year for Bunq and the others are free

I've gone the 3 account route.

Main - Bunq
Secondary - AIB basic
And Revolut just for odds and ends and travel

AIB basic because I can still receive a couple of cheques from people and need a place to lodge them. And if I ever win a few bob at the races, they accept cash

€36/year for Bunq and the others are free
Your AIB basic account will be converted to a regular current account after 12 months if the total annual value of lodgements to your AIB Basic Bank Account in the previous year exceeds the national minimum wage threshold, otherwise, after 5 years.
I'd have either use AIB current account to receive wages and then EBS/Revolut for DD's and daily transactions. This way it'd be cheaper than using Bunq.

Back