Use Revolut as my main bank, but my account is frozen and I can't get them to fix it

SharonC

I decided to choose Revolut for my daily banking needs (having been a KBC customer until now). Last week I had my salary paid into my Revolut account for the first time. They put a block on my account to verify identity. I didn't notice at first because I tap for most things using my phone and Google Pay had defaulted to using a small amount of remaining funds in my KBC account. I had no notification of the block on my Revolut account.

I contacted Revolut through chat to find out about the block and began to follow instructions on sending a selfie showing the date on a piece of paper.

Then they had me change my google password. I was reluctant because it sets off a chain reaction of updates and security checks with other apps I use, but I did it.

Now they wanted another selfie with the date, as they said my hand wasn't properly visible in the first one. I provided this (now days were passing).

Then in the chat they posted a pdf of my most recent transactions and asked me to confirm if all were mine, I confirmed.

Next they wanted me to change my Revolut pin, I followed the direction, but the pin-change function requires an in-app selfie (the others were attachments in chat), and this feature would not work for some reason. Nothing would happen when I tapped on the selfie button and the process would go no further. I explained in the chat what I was experiencing.

So they said they would send an email to the address associated with my account but nothing came in to my inbox. I told them no email had come and I kept trying the in-app selfie route to no avail.

I asked what should I do next but suddenly the chat feature stopped working! An error message saying something had gone wrong and I should try again later. I have been trying again and again for a couple of days now, but the message remains the same! I now have zero visability of my account and I have no line of communication with Revolut. Two days ago I emailed support but just got an auto response that it was received. I don't know how long until someone responds.

I am so dissapointed in Revolut! I had been championing them as an alternative to the regular banks, but based on this experience I can't recommend them except for small pocket money amounts. The risk of getting locked out from all your money is too great. I urgently need to access my salary! What should I do next? :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230322_102953_Revolut.jpg
    Screenshot_20230322_102953_Revolut.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 224
First things first - open another bank a/c as quickly as you can and notify your employer so no more salary payments go into Revolut.

Can your employer give you an advance to get you through the next couple of weeks? Failing that can you rely on a CC? I assume you don't have any direct debits or standing orders.

Secondly I would write to Revolut's registered business address, with details you have posted above. Keep a copy, you might even want recorded delivery.

If your card is frozen, I would hope that it also can't be scammed.

There is an email and Lithuanian phone number listed on the website. I haven't used it but I would try first:

I lost access to my account/card
If you lost access to your account and need emergency protection, follow these steps:

1. When logging in, tap 'Lost access to my phone number'
2. Tap on 'Forgot passcode?' and we'll help you regain access to the account through our chat.

If you still can't access your account and chat, contact us at [email protected]. If you need to block your card, you can call an automated phone line +37052143608 (fees may apply). This number can't connect you to a human agent nor make outgoing calls.

Have you tried to set up and access Revolut on a different device ?
There might be a software error in the Revolut app on the device you are using.
You could also try deleting the app from your device a doing a new install.

Last edited:
What the hell are they doing telling you to change your google password. I don't even know how they would know you actually did it. Such a bizarre request. I too am a former KBC customer. I went with EBS and after finding it painful to deal with how archaic there systems are, I was tempted to just use Revolut as my main bank. After reading this, that won't be happening. I really hope you get it sorted soon.

Nobody should ever, and I mean ever, rely upon Revolut as their only operating bank account. You will at least once have your account frozen by some algorithm, and you will spend most of your waking hours talking to Ronnie the Robot trying to sort it.

Revolut is for tapping to buy coffees and beers or sending your mates your share of the restaurant bill or the cost of a flight.

Nothing more than that.
Revolut is excellent for free currency exchange and for buying online from foreign currency based websites. It is a fantastic travel card. Used wisely it is a great service.

What the hell are they doing telling you to change your google password. I don't even know how they would know you actually did it. Such a bizarre request. I too am a former KBC customer. I went with EBS and after finding it painful to deal with how archaic there systems are, I was tempted to just use Revolut as my main bank. After reading this, that won't be happening. I really hope you get it sorted soon.
I know, I questioned it strongly, but they insisted it was nessesary so that they would know that anything they sent me by email could not be compromised. They proceeded to send me nothing by email

Nobody should ever, and I mean ever, rely upon Revolut as their only operating bank account. You will at least once have your account frozen by some algorithm, and you will spend most of your waking hours talking to Ronnie the Robot trying to sort it.
You are right, I know this now. I was lulled into a false sense of security by recent positive press on what a good option it could be for those looking for a new current account solution. The measure of any service is how it handles problems when they inevitably arise. And one's salary is a little too much to gamble when customer service is so faceless and remote. I'm nominating another account immediately for my next salary payment. Perhaps my employer will even forward it earlier to me if need be (along with spoonfuls of humble pie ).

I know, I questioned it strongly, but they insisted it was nessesary so that they would know that anything they sent me by email could not be compromised. They proceeded to send me nothing by email
When I seen you say that they asked you to change your google email and then you had change your Revolut pin and take selfies I thought the story was gonna end with you being scammed and that it was the scammers asking you to do this. This is the type of thing people are told to be wary of doing as it is something that scammers do and here Revolut are doing it. It is mental.

Which bank do people recommend for current acc, putting salary in to and paying bills out of?

Im a soon to be former kbc customer and am thinking aib. Not for any reason other than its a well known irish bank

Which bank do people recommend for current acc, putting salary in to and paying bills out of?

Im a soon to be former kbc customer and am thinking aib. Not for any reason other than its a well known irish bank
Pick the two banks with the lowest fees and have some money in both. Then if one goes rogue (like in this case you) have a back up option.
Expect poor service from all banks.

Former KBC customer here and unfortunately I don't think there is a bank that can replicate KBC. KBC straddled a nice middle ground between traditional banks and new fintech banks. Their app was good and straight forward. Not as good as the likes of Revolut sure but better than other traditional banks. They had simlar levels of support as a legacy bank. Ok, they didn't have the same branch network and didn't offer cash services but for most people that doesn't matter too much and they are way better than the likes of Revolut. I never thought I would say this about a bank but they will be missed.

I went with EBS. To be honest, they are This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language. The setup process requires you to go into a branch and it takes an eternity to get online access. If you need to go into a branch to open an account you need an appointment. They don't tell you this over the phone. The stupid thing is even if you make an appointment, the person might not be in that day, so the person behind the counter ends up doing it anyway.

After that they send you a bunch of This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language in the post. You need 2 different numbers and a customer number to access your online banking. These took me about 2 weeks altogether to get. Then you have to download an app to authenticate online payments with your debit card. It turns out they got some of my details wrong when I opened the account so I couldn't use that app for a few days until they figured it out.

After getting your current account, the online banking is basic as feck. You want to open a savings account? Go into a branch (make sure to have an appointment though). Need to set up a standing order? You need to fill out a form and send it to them (luckily you can do it over email instead of post). I don't know how to edit or cancel a standing order. You can't see the details of the standing orders or direct debits you have like KBC did.

Also, given how long it takes to receive a one time access code, I wonder what happens if you get a new phone. You won't be able to buy things online (which includes topping up Revolut) without the app so if you break your phone, you might be waiting weeks for that one time access code. So, that is weeks without being able to use your EBS card to top up Revolut (that is all I plan to use my EBS card for). It also says for security reasons it can only be installed on one phone at a time. I don't know if you can request a new one time access code while keeping the app installed. So, it is possible if you buy a new phone, you will lose access for weeks as well. The whole thing just seems like a night mare.

EBS are free but the whole process in setting it up has been a complete pain in the hole. I don't know what the others are like but I don't think they are this bad.

Back